Paintball gun as bear deterrent

Here our DNR gives rubber 12 gauge shells to homeowners with problem bears if people don’t want to have to kill them. It would be much cheaper than a new paintball gun too.

Another option I’ve thought about would be to purchase capsasin or a similar hot substance and put it on something for the bear to get a hold of. Not sure how it would work but I bet it would be a great deterrent. Pure capsasin isn’t water soluble so I think you have to dissolve it in alcohol and then use it in a spray bottle or something. It is insanely potent though so be very careful.

Last edited:

James K

FNG
The first step has to be - Educating your neighbors to remove things that attract him.

After that, you can work on scaring him away.

Didn't even bother reading after this because this is all you need to know. They won't stop coming back until the food source is eliminated. I am in NJ in an area with a lot, and I do mean a lot, of black bears.

We have bear-proof cans. Ones they have not figured out how to open yet, at least. I've talked to half a dozen of my neighbors. None of them have any interest in them despite me providing the Amazon link to buy them for $60 a can. Some insist on putting it in their garage, which is fine. Others begrudgingly pick their garbage off their lawn and their neighbors at 7:30am before work.

They are pretty determined critters and if there is a reliable source of food they just keep coming back. None of them feed them here. I would advise your neighbors that the day they forget to serve them breakfast they may just make themselves at home and come in.

I've been bluff charged by a massive female with cubs right next to my house. It's not fun.

James K

FNG
Another option I’ve thought about would be to purchase capsasin or a similar hot substance and put it on something for the bear to get a hold of. Not sure how it would work but I bet it would be a great deterrent. Pure capsasin isn’t water soluble so I think you have to dissolve it in alcohol and then use it in a spray bottle or something. It is insanely potent though so be very careful.

Gasoline or ammonia. My relatives in VA paint gasoline around the rim of their cans and they claim it works. A better, probably less likely way to set yourself on fire, is ammonia.

Something that has no problem eating a feces-filled baby diaper, whole, might like a little bit hot sauce to help it wash down.