Painless load development (mine)

Was your powder stored somewhere where it was getting damp? Interested to hear about these hang fires in a rifle.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus what are your impressions on superformance? Specifically on its temp stability if you’ve tested that

This is the first time really using it.

Was your powder stored somewhere where it was getting damp? Interested to hear about these hang fires in a rifle.

No. Brand new cans. It’s due to using small rifle primers in a large case.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
And another-

223 Tikka, 77gr TMK, 26.0 gr Leverevolution, Win case, CCI 400, 2.26 coal.

IMG_3556.jpeg

Sounds like the brass is getting work hardened. I have had brass get stiff in the resizing die and get tight in the chamber if I don’t anneal often enough. The brass springs back too much after resizing.
I anneal my brass every load. It is because the web diameter slowly grows and also slowly gets harder. I think it's because I'm too close to high pressure. I'm going to back off by 0.5gr for my next set of cases and see how it goes

Tell

FNG
Shoot2HuntU
If you’re buying new brass for cartridges around 40 grains, would large rifle primers be preferable, or go small primer brass and use small rifle magnum primers?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
If you’re buying new brass for cartridges around 40 grains, would large rifle primers be preferable, or go small primer brass and use small rifle magnum primers?

I have used SR 308 for comps where pushing pressures very high, and SR 6XC the last few years down to -21° or -28° F with no issues. However this 22CM and at least these powders have been a problem now, but weren’t 8-9 months ago, which points to it being on the edge of reliability.

For me, I will use LR primers from now on.

I’ve heard enough folks with negative feedback on the creedmoors with small rifle primers in the cold that I bought LRP brass for hunting even though I already had lapua SRP brass.

Bbell12

WKR
I’ve heard enough folks with negative feedback on the creedmoors with small rifle primers in the cold that I bought LRP brass for hunting even though I already had lapua SRP brass.
Is that with regular SRP or SR magnums?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
So LRP brass for cold conditions with 308/6.5 CM sized cases?

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
That is interesting, I didn’t know that small primers could cause ignition issues in CM size cartridges. Are the ignition issues limited to CCI primers, is the powder type and ambient temperature a factor?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have been wanting to reload for many years. I finally decided to start for a few reasons, and decided to read this thread. I'm glad I did as it will save me hundreds on equipment and a lot of time fiddling.

Now I just need to find SR magnum primers and powder I want locally (shipping hazmat to AK is too expensive for me to order things).

Below is just double checking what I think I have figured out, so if there are any holes someone will hopefully point them out.

I'm going to start with 223.
-SR magnum primers are for reliable cold weather ignition.
-Starline brass is good and while Lapua and Norma may be better, they are not twice the cost better.
-Looking for IMR 8208, Varget, H4895, or IMR 4895 (this will be shot in -20, so temp stability is important), there are probably other powders that will work, I need to keep researching.
-Leverevolution might work, not much information on it in 223 though.