Over crowded Colorado units getting worse

Kwa_bena

FNG
I’ve said it 50 times on here. Go to Wyoming model. OTC for residents. Draw for no residents. If the money is the issue, raise fees. $1000 for no residents, other states are already doing it, and raise resident rates to make up the difference in lost revenue from lost NR OTC license sales. And I don’t care if it’s expensive, just go check out the sales in the classifieds and tell me guys can’t afford 1000 dollar tag…or 100-200 dollar resident tag!
I, as a non-resident, agree with this. Even though I have no points in any elk state with preference points I'll be happy with this solution. As far as OTC, it should be for areas where they project that it's over populated with any one species. The states are only required to manage the animals for the people that live there so no one should have an issue with it

I had a conversation with a local source in 80-81 where I am working who had a conversation with a local CPW officer. Archery very well could be going draw very soon, while rifle would remain OTC. He ran into the officer in a nearby unit while hunting recently when they had the conversation. An estimated 6000+ archery hunters, hunted 80-81 this year according to my source.

80-81 would have trophy potential if rifle went draw as well. Otherwise kiss archery opportunities goodbye if this is indeed true

Gerbdog

WKR
I had a conversation with a local source in 80-81 where I am working who had a conversation with a local CPW officer. Archery very well could be going draw very soon, while rifle would remain OTC. He ran into the officer in a nearby unit while hunting recently when they had the conversation. An estimated 6000+ archery hunters, hunted 80-81 this year according to my source.

80-81 would have trophy potential if rifle went draw as well. Otherwise kiss archery opportunities goodbye if this is indeed true
Sure hope thats not the case... Cant see why they would go that path? Archery success rates are so dang low.... I mean if they are just trying to limit the crowding i guess? But for herd management i cant see the benefits....

Kwa_bena

FNG

Is there any chances that they'll cut the number of tags given out as well? The unlimited amount tag tags for OTC basically made me change plans and trying to e-scout somewhere else where the tags are more limited. For me not drawing a tag will not stop me but I take as an opportunity to see how the animals behave during a certain time of the month for me.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Sure hope thats not the case... Cant see why they would go that path? Archery success rates are so dang low.... I mean if they are just trying to limit the crowding i guess? But for herd management i cant see the benefits....
I don’t think it would be far fetched to say if they cut the tags in half there’s a decent chance success goes up by close to half. Pressured elk are really hard to kill with a bow!

Kwa_bena

FNG
That's basically what they are trying to do. In 62, the elk get blown out of the whole unit with the amount of hunters and into the limited units any ways. It doesn't help with the fact that there's a motorized road all over the place. This is not taking into account for other recreational activities that may disturb the animals as well

Gerbdog

WKR
Ah well, guess you gotta adapt and overcome the changes that come with the times also. The elk hunting will continue.

Last edited:

Donjuan

WKR
I apologize if I missed this, but is there a breakdown of NR vs resident hunters? I can't find it on CPW website.
Thanks

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't mind the added challenge from all the pressure........I just don't like to see a bunch of people up there during the season. So I'd be OK with 1/2 the amount of archery hunters even if they keep rifle OTC.

Is there any chances that they'll cut the number of tags given out as well? The unlimited amount tag tags for OTC basically made me change plans and trying to e-scout somewhere else where the tags are more limited. For me not drawing a tag will not stop me but I take as an opportunity to see how the animals behave during a certain time of the month for me.
Anyone who’s hunted 80-81 knows what the pressure has been like the last several, 5-6 years. It’s bad and yes most are non residents including me a couple times. I really don’t blame residents who used to hunt unmolested and now call in more hunters than elk they actually lay eyes on for not wanting nr’s in their old stomping grounds. Especially the locals in this area who depend on the meat. It’s not exactly an economic mecca. If this unit went strictly limited draw across the board, archery, muzzy and rifle, 76 couldn’t touch it. Great elk habitat here and the trophy potential would be off the hook. But it’s one of those units as they say “managed for opportunity”. Probably more like “managed for money”.

reminds me a lot of my favorite place to hunt high plains mule deer in NM. You could say it’s an unlimited rifle draw unit and extremely limited archery unit. I quit hunting rifle and started bowhunting because of it. Got way too dangerous during rifle…..

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
Anyone who’s hunted 80-81 knows what the pressure has been like the last several, 5-6 years. It’s bad and yes most are non residents including me a couple times. If this unit went strictly limited draw across the board, archery, muzzy and rifle, 76 couldn’t touch it. Great elk habitat here and the trophy potential would be off the hook. But it’s one of those units as they say “managed for opportunity.

reminds me a lot of my favorite place to hunt high plains mule deer in NM. You could say it’s an unlimited rifle draw unit and extremely limited archery unit. I quit hunting rifle and started bowhunting because of it. Got way too dangerous during rifle…..
Pressures really high for sure... its the first units you hit with wilderness area coming from out of state. from the middle / bottom half of the country... and its a lot of folks first / last stop to shave driving hours... IF you keep telling people there are elk in there then i reckon it'll get even more crowded haha, is this all a sinister plan to bomb those units worse then they have been bombed? ;) I hunt a spot down there, and i talked to a hunter who had never seen so many hunters in that location (i thought the same... because i normally dont get to talk to hunters.....) ... and then he said he listened to a podcast that named dropped that valley six times.... it was more crowded down there this year than any i'd seen before

Unfortunately I have to go on record to say it’s time to change the way Western Hunting states do tags. Unfortunately I do think it’s over populated everywhere. I think it’s time to change the way we see western hunting. It’s time to make this more regulated and limited.

The writing is all over the wall for overpopulation world wide. To say it hasn’t or cannot affect hunting western states would be dangerous in my opinion. Unfortunately as a resident of Co, it just seems every year it becomes more and more like an amusement park from spring to fall. Fortunately not everyone is interested or invested in Winter sports so it’s not nearly as bad. However I do volunteer search and rescue and work on restoring 14r’s/trailheads. The amount of people that have been increasing is getting overwhelming.

With all that said, I DO NOT blame the nonresident or out of town hunter or outdoorsman. I do blame the state(s) for creating an unregulated free for all in many cases. They have places revenue and profit over quality land management and regulatory flow of traffic in many places.

I just think it’s time to have the conversation about making western hunting, Guide permits, park passes and human traffic more regulated. Even if that means even as a resident I have to skip a year or two before I can hunt a unit. Then I sleep in the bed I made. But I do think it’s time we focus more on quality over quantity to help with what Colorado or any western state as deemed their expectations of species harvest numbers for a given season.

Like I said even if I’m affected as a resident, I think it’s time we tighten the flow of hunters and outdoorsman/women that can be in one given area at a time. This culture for example that the state of Colorado has created to invite anyone and everyone for their yearly “vacation” is increasingly inundating these lands and putting substantial pressure on these animals during their most crucial time of breeding.

Sorry if I ruffle some feathers but I’m trying to see this more from an aspect of the animal, the land and how we best manage and preserve this.

Dirtbag

WKR
I just think it’s time to have the conversation about making western hunting, Guide permits, park passes and human traffic more regulated. Even if that means even as a resident I have to skip a year or two before I can hunt a unit. Then I sleep in the bed I made.
Careful what you wish for, skipping a year or two turns into skipping ten years real fast and we are already seeing it.

Careful what you wish for, skipping a year or two turns into skipping ten years real fast and we are already seeing it.

Where are you witnessing 10 years? Like for a particular unit that requires more points than less desired draw units?

The unit I frequent I usually get every other year.

Dirtbag

WKR
Where are you witnessing 10 years? Like for a particular unit that requires more points than less desired draw units?

The unit I frequent I usually get every other year.
I equate it to the preference point system we currently have in place and point creep. We can certainly regulate our impact on a unit by allowing fewer hunters which sounds great with the expectation of hunting it every other year. As demand increases you are no longer getting to hunt every other year, but ever two years, then 3, than 5, 7 and so on.

I equate it to the preference point system we currently have in place and point creep. We can certainly regulate our impact on a unit by allowing fewer hunters which sounds great with the expectation of hunting it every other year. As demand increases you are no longer getting to hunt every other year, but ever two years, then 3, than 5, 7 and so on.

I see your point and not discounting it as having validity nor was I offering anything I said as a solution. It’s appreciated to see all view points on this since I think change is coming for this whether we like it or not. I was just sharing as resident who is proactive as volunteer SAR, repair trails/trail heads and a survival instructor near the Springs area Im just seeing the bold writing on the wall. It’s more than noticeable the increase in hunters, mountain bikers, hikers(specially the obnoxious Instagram influencer hikers), backpackers, etc.. during most of the months here in CO.

They are projecting 9.8 Billion human beings by 2050. 5.28 Billion in 1990. I just think it would risky to state that over population isn’t or can’t affect over crowding of western units in terms of hunting or over all recreational activities.

Im just afraid before we know it, we all will be having to adapt and change our expectations for western hunt access in terms of over population both resident and non resident alike.

I will say I am in favor of having residents be presented access opportunities slightly less strict than non residents. It’s nothing against the non residents but many(Not all,its not a blanket statement) have access to whitetail leases or whitetail hunting opportunities in contrast to many western residents being limited to public land access and opportunities. Unless they are willing to travel out of state to go to where the non residents tend to have those whitetail opportunities. It just a case of most here don’t own land with Elk and rely on public lands. Whereas many Midwest, south and east coast residents have land with native species there or a less of a challenge to acquire a lease than say someone here in most western states.

This is all just my opinion and not making blanket statements.

So for this has been a great thread for all of us and has yet to reduce to drama and indifferences. These are the threads I enjoy being on.

I will leave with this, I just think what ever we decide or choose to make as an initiative to the parks and wildlife services. It needs to be focused this time around on what’s best for the land, animals and the over all health of these eco systems we have the privilege to hunt and help manage. Unfortunately I think we are living in very strange and selfish times and I would go on a limb to say there are still a great deal of hunters that there focus is on what’s best for their hunt with disregard to the land management and animals. Just my .2 cents.

Cheers everyone!!

Last edited:

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado License Distribution Survey.

I had the same exact thought as I filled this license distributution survey out for CPW. My initial reaction after the season was too many hunters but there are a lot of people that utilize that OTC season that will be applying/buying elsewhere...Make it harder to get tags everywhere, not just Colorado.

KID

FNG
The real issue....... WE'RE LOSING PUBLIC HUNTING GROUND EVERYWHERE... EVERY STATE. Unless you have the money to buy your own you fight with the public my state of Idaho is the same way. Guys want to get out there and hunt and we're losing places to go. There's nothing we can do about it.

Dirtbag

WKR
I see you point and not discounting it as having validity nor was I offering anything I said as a solution. I was just sharing as resident who is proactive as volunteer SAR, repair trails/trail heads and a survival instructor near the Springs area Im just seeing the bold writing on the wall. It’s more than noticeable the increase in hunters, mountain bikers, hikers(specially the obnoxious Instagram influencer hikers), backpackers, etc..

They are projecting 9.8 Billion human beings by 2050. 5.28 Billion in 1990. I just think it would risky to state that over population isn’t or can’t affect over crowding of western units.

Im just afraid before we known it, we all will be having to adapt and change our expectations or western hunt access in terms of over population both resident and non resident alike.

I will say I am in favor of having residents be presented an access opportunities slightly less strict than non residents. It’s nothing against the non residents but many(Not all,its not a blanket statement) have access to whitetail leases or whitetail hunting opportunities in contrast to many western residents being limited to public land access and opportunities. Unless they are willing to travel out of state to go to where the non residents tend to have those whitetail opportunities.

This is all just my opinion and not making blanket statements.

So for this has been a great thread for all of us and has yet to reduce to drama and indifferences. These are the threads I enjoy being on.

Cheers!
Sorry if I came off as combative as it wasn't meant to be. We are mostly in agreeance. I'm a native and have seen the insane growth of Colorado that is negatively affecting our natural resources. Just highlighting that what seems like a small sacrifice to start grows into one that's pretty big. I don't have the answers either. I just know the quality of the hunting experience is decreasing but I don't want to give up the experience altogether.

Sorry if I came off as combative as it wasn't meant to be. We are mostly in agreeance. I'm a native and have seen the insane growth of Colorado that is negatively affecting our natural resources. Just highlighting that what seems like a small sacrifice to start grows into one that's pretty big. I don't have the answers either. I just know the quality of the hunting experience is decreasing but I don't want to give up the experience altogether.

I agree brother! No worries! Yeah I’m more full of questions than I am of solutions or answers haha.

Yeah I don’t know what really is the “perfect” fix where it will compliment the residents, allow decent opportunities for the non residents all while still focused on the land management and the animals first and foremost.

Im Tanner by the way, nice to meet you. I’m down in western Colorado Springs. Just moved recently from Fort Collins.