Colorado 1st or 3rd Rifle - Opinions Needed

Hnthrdr

WKR
It is something to consider. But CO is also at the tail end of a 5 year season shift experiment. They basically pushed 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons 7-10 days back beyond the traditional start dates. If it goes back to what it used to be, then you'll have to reevaluate what season to choose.

2nd season used to end no later than Oct 31. Now, the season sometimes starts Oct 30. I would prefer for CO to move 1st season up a week and shift the other seasons by a week also.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
If they moved 1st up a week it would be a blood bath… it’s early enough as is. But if you took muzzy out of Sept and made 1st muzzy season I think that would be about perfect.

I don’t think a person can go wrong with any season they pick for a rifle hunt in colorado. It is an adventure regardless. The variable in weather, location, and pressure are going to be different each year and that doesn’t even include the personal hunter variables. I say go with what fits your schedule and work your ass off, enjoy the ride and learn from it.

Marble

WKR
If they moved 1st up a week it would be a blood bath… it’s early enough as is. But if you took muzzy out of Sept and made 1st muzzy season I think that would be about perfect.
I would like to see Muzzy be the first saturday of October, followed by 1st rifle , a short break and then second. This year is a late start for 1st. It will get a day earlier over the next 3 or so years. 1st could start anywhere from the 8th to the 15th if it stays on the 2nd Saturday in Oct track. I'm OK with that mostly. I'm just frustrated that second season starts so late now with a 10 day break between the end of 1st and start of 2nd I still kill my elk, but all the deer are now off of their summer feeding patterns and down in the timber.

cnelk

WKR
At some point the CPW should designate some seasons in the ‘Quiet Time’.

(That would be like this time of year - between archery and 1st Rifle)

What a waste of opportunity - for both the CPW and hunters

Hnthrdr

WKR
I would like to see Muzzy be the first saturday of October, followed by 1st rifle , a short break and then second. This year is a late start for 1st. It will get a day earlier over the next 3 or so years. 1st could start anywhere from the 8th to the 15th if it stays on the 2nd Saturday in Oct track. I'm OK with that mostly. I'm just frustrated that second season starts so late now with a 10 day break between the end of 1st and start of 2nd I still kill my elk, but all the deer are now off of their summer feeding patterns and down in the timber.

See I would disagree, they need a couple weeks between archery and any gun season. I would completely eliminate 1st and make it a muzzleloader season in its place, I know guys get to do it in parts of Wyoming (a great friend of mine gets to hunt elk with a rifle starting Sept 15) but it’s insane. Shooting fish in a barrel is putting it mildly. I know 1st season often has 2nd cycle rut or if the rut is late then the rut happening so it should be hunted with a primitive weapon… I’m sure lots of guys would hate it, but my 2 cents…

Marble

WKR
See I would disagree, they need a couple weeks between archery and any gun season. I would completely eliminate 1st and make it a muzzleloader season in its place, I know guys get to do it in parts of Wyoming (a great friend of mine gets to hunt elk with a rifle starting Sept 15) but it’s insane. Shooting fish in a barrel is putting it mildly. I know 1st season often has 2nd cycle rut or if the rut is late then the rut happening so it should be hunted with a primitive weapon… I’m sure lots of guys would hate it, but my 2 cents…
I think eliminating 1st could be a solution. I've always thought it was odd to have 4 different seasons.

And I know exactly what you are talking about with the second estrus cycle. But I always ran into it in 2nd season. It was awesome to experience.

I'm sure there will be some people that would be pretty pissed about 1st going away. Wouldn't bother me. I would just like to be able to deer and elk at the same time a little earlier. I hunt at 10-11k primarily. So when a big storm comes in late Oct, deer leave and head down into the lower brushy stuff. I guess I could hunt harder for them in the brush, but having them up at the higher altitudes let me spot a good buck and then concentrate on him. Now they are in this weird post summer, pre-rut phase that has them shuffled around.

hiker270

WKR
1st season for me if I draw a tag. Hunt high 9-12 thousand feet. Get 5 miles at least from a road or parking lot and 10 miles is better.

Mcribs

FNG
I think eliminating 1st could be a solution. I've always thought it was odd to have 4 different seasons.

And I know exactly what you are talking about with the second estrus cycle. But I always ran into it in 2nd season. It was awesome to experience.

I'm sure there will be some people that would be pretty pissed about 1st going away. Wouldn't bother me. I would just like to be able to deer and elk at the same time a little earlier. I hunt at 10-11k primarily. So when a big storm comes in late Oct, deer leave and head down into the lower brushy stuff. I guess I could hunt harder for them in the brush, but having them up at the higher altitudes let me spot a good buck and then concentrate on him. Now they are in this weird post summer, pre-rut phase that has them shuffled around.

I’m still confused why muzzy season is in the middle of archery. Messes everything up. Shorten archery if necessary, do a muzzy season before rifle and do 3 rifle seasons.

cnelk

WKR
I respectfully disagree. As you are well aware of, there is a huge amount of pressure on these animals. 24/7 365 recreational pressure. Add to that list the insane sustained hunting pressure through Sept, then all the rifle seasons.

These animals need somewhat of a break.

I'm all for opportunities to hunt, but at some point, it's important to acknowledge the strain that we put on the resource.
It’s okay to disagree.

But you do realize the CPW has implemented seasons in the Quiet Time in recent years.
So the precedent is there.

Dirtbag

WKR
I respectfully disagree. As you are well aware of, there is a huge amount of pressure on these animals. 24/7 365 recreational pressure. Add to that list the insane sustained hunting pressure through Sept, then all the rifle seasons.

These animals need somewhat of a break.

I'm all for opportunities to hunt, but at some point, it's important to acknowledge the strain that we put on the resource.
What about states like Montana where you get to bowhunt right till the rifle opener?

Hnthrdr

WKR
What about states like Montana where you get to bowhunt right till the rifle opener?
If we had montanas size, population and number of tags issued to NR I’d say sounds like a good idea to me, in Co that would be unsustainable

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
This guy wanted input whether to hunt 1st or 3rd and y'all start debating season structures. Start a new thread to rehash that beaten horse. Nobody cares where you think muzzleloader should be or anything else.

OP, I wouldn't trade a first season tag for a third season.
You are correct, as I said above keep the 1st … but if we weren’t arguing about stuff that’s out of our hands on rokslide, what would we be doing? Chores around the house?