Colorado OTC or Leftover Tag

B-Ridge Sledder

Lil-Rokslider
Planning on hunting OTC unit or two in west central part of state. Never been there but from e scouting I like what I see compared to area I’ve hunted in NW part state. I’m hesitant with winter kill to waste my time in the area I’ve hunted before. Few Limited left over tag peak my interest but do I commit to just 1 or two units they are good for and will there be that much less hunting pressure? Been 4 years since I hunted Colorado OTC and it was busy then and everything I’ve read has me more worried it’s going to be a zoo. Hunting Archery second week. Not looking for your spot or unit but thoughts on otc vs limited draw pressure. These tags are obviously left over cuz the unit ain’t the greatest but how many tags where issued?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’d have to pull the “draw stats” from the CPW site to drill down on tag #s for XX unit(s).

LE draw units will (should) have less elk hunting pressure than OTC unit (but all depends on what unit and where at in the unit).

Just like a fishing hole - if everybody knows the fish are in that one spot - then that’s where they go.

Good luck

Elk always appear to do better than deer in harsh winter conditions “on the avg”.

I’d do what ^ he said

Go hunt a unit that is 100% draw for archery. At least you will have a constant amount of pressure and it won't be fluctuating from year to year. Lots of units you can draw with 0 points in colorado.

If we were talking about this in the early 2000's I would say to go hunt an OTC unit. OTC units were something special back then. Now, they are crowded.