Out of state hunting in california

rlmmarine

WKR
Im currently hunting doves in Yuma Az and was curious how out of state hunters go about obtaining amunition to hunt ca. My understanding is you cant bring amunition into the state anymore and you have to be a resident and go through a background check to by it in state. So with the new ban on amunition is there still out of state hunting

bowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
At far as I’ve read the not buying out of state and transporting it in rule only applies to Residents of California.

Also as a non resident you couldn’t buy ammo in California because they are relying on a state system so if you are not in their state database you can’t purchase. NICS won’t give background check access for purposes of ammunition purchase checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krim559

Lil-Rokslider
I live in California unfortunately. If you're an out of state resident, buy your ammo out of state (make sure its steel for any kind of hunting you plan on doing here) and bring with you.
Hope this helps.

Shot a Tule elk in California a month ago with my bow. Fun hunt, great meat, maybe the best game meat ever!

But I was surprised to hear about all the laws for a
Resident buying ammo...you have to own and have a firearm registered in the caliber of ammo you want to buy! Edit: (Apparently this is not the case....this must have been another reason the resident was refused ammo purchase for a 6.5 CM).

Last edited:

Jd259

WKR
Shot a Tule elk in California a month ago with my bow. Fun hunt, great meat, maybe the best game meat ever!

Resident buying ammo...you have to own and have a firearm registered in the caliber of ammo you want to buy!
This is not true you just have to have a firearm registered in your name but you can still buy any caliber you want even if you don’t own one...

OP
rlmmarine

rlmmarine

WKR
you sure you don't want to drive east to New Mexico?
Thewi g shooting in yuma was absolutly astounding. I litteraly couldnt load the gun fast enough. I was going to cross the river. And shoot some in CA. Besides the ammo question i didnt know weather i could bring in more doves from ca after filling my AZ possession limit. Still not sure on that one

you have to hunt with a buddy who has extra shells.

Resident buying ammo...you have to own and have a firearm registered in the caliber of ammo you want to buy!
that isnt true. you can buy whatever caliber you want. it is not specific to what you own.

Huntingdog, won’t argue about CA ammo sales laws but was told by a guy at the ranch he was refused the purchase of ammo for 6.5 Creed he was gifted by his son.

A sales person or cashier may not have know the laws and may have incorrectly refused the sale? Possibly he was ineligible to buy ammo? Who knows but was going off
what he told me. Anyway, was surprised when indicted the law was so stringent. Glad for the California hunter’s that it is not.

Last edited: