California Resident buying late model truck out of California

Billinsd

WKR
I want to buy a 2020 or 2021Tundra, possibly outside of California. And get it registered in California. Reason to buy out of state is more available trucks, and possibly lower costs.

I understand that Toyota Trucks are 50 state emissions compliant, right? My issue would be paying California taxes and passing a smog test here. A late model Tundra with California compliant emissions should easily pass? Right? If it is from a reliable big box dealer?

As long as it's a stock vehicle I wouldn't worry at all.

Lots of 49 state legal intakes and exhausts out there.

Get it smogged then make an appt at the DMV to register. You have to do in person and they will want to look at he vehicle - why, I have no idea but they do. You will pay sales tax when you register it.

Get it smogged then make an appt at the DMV to register. You have to do in person and they will want to look at he vehicle - why, I have no idea but they do. You will pay sales tax when you register it.
I could make a vehicle pass a smog test with a bunch of parts that don't actually meet standards. Just gotta flash a tune in for it.

Not dissimilar to what VW did.

^^ what he said. I think you'd be hard pressed finding a newer unmodified vehicle that does not pass emissions.
Unmodified is the key.
you seem to see a lot of modified Toyotas for some reason and I wouldnt touch one.

BadDogPSD

WKR
It's been a few years, but I had to provide a provide a certified scale weight, smog, and vehicle/vin inspection.