Our new Secretary of the Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
In the news today is that Trump is nominating Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) to be the new Secretary of the Interior.

Who is she, you ask?

Just one of the primary sponsors of "H.R. 1126 (112th): Disposal of Excess Federal Lands Act of 2011", a bill which "direct(s) the Secretary of the Interior to sell certain Federal lands in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming, previously identified as suitable for disposal, and for other purposes."

Now that she'll be Secretary of the Interior, getting herself to sell off public lands should be no problem!

Should we take a little poll who voted for Trump? She is already known as the Secretary of Extraction and Destruction of Federal Lands. We reap what we sow.....

Here we go....
Our Federal lands couldn't be more mismanaged as it is

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
For some reason it seems all those in favor of removing public lands from the Feds believe they'll still have a right to them.

Guess we'll all have to trespass in the future.

Russp17

WKR
Wow this was my one worry about Donald Trump presidency, a move to sell off public land. Does not look good so far.....

TJ

WKR
The selling of public lands was a plank in the Republican platform.

Why think this wouldn't become an issue?

TJ

WKR
The new language in the platform, approved Monday, states:
“Congress shall immediately pass universal legislation providing for a timely and orderly mechanism requiring the federal government to convey certain federally controlled public lands to states. We call upon all national and state leaders and representatives to exert their utmost power and influence to urge the transfer of those lands, identified in the review process, to all willing states for the benefit of the states and the nation as a whole. The residents of state and local communities know best how to protect the land where they work and live.”

dotman

WKR
Well guess we'll see what happens but she voted to sell federal lands to mining companies so we know she is all for selling public lands to private corps.

In a 2012 speech to the Society of American Foresters, McMorris Rodgers said, “it is no coincidence that many of the counties with the highest unemployment rates in the country are those which are surrounded by federal forests,” and said the federal government should “undertake a comprehensive review of their land ownership policies.”

"By removing lands from private ownership — and thus, from the local municipal tax rolls – the government stifles locally-driven development and makes rural communities more dependent on Washington, DC,” she said then.

The job of an administrator is to administer laws passed by Congress it is not the job of an administrator to propose and pass bills

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
B

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
The job of an administrator is to administer laws passed by Congress it is not the job of an administrator to propose and pass bills

You're asserting that the head of the Interior won't have any influence in steering public land management policy, and we shouldn't care that her stance is for selling off federal land to private industry?

Does anyone have the list of lands in this? I mean i dont want to see lands sold off at all and definitely one of my big concerns with the Trump Presidency. But, i will say the checkerboard crap irritates me as a taxpayer. All that land i cant access yet i pay for it.. i wish they would just focus on that and not getting rid of large chunks of accessible land

One thing i think we as hunters need to do is start working with the other side, and having them help our cause. Take the REI type people, I know their totally against this, but most are completely unaware..IF BHA wants me to stand in front of REI handing out flyers on this crap i certainly will, we might not all see eye to eye but i think public access is one thing we all agree upon.

JWP58

WKR
"Honoring the legacy of Theodore Roosevelt, we will conserve and protect our beautiful natural resources for the next generation – including protecting lands for anglers, hunters and all who enjoy the outdoors" Donald Trump like two days ago.

BHA should be happy, all the chicken little sky is falling talk should make them a mint. The board of directors should be living well the next 4-8yrs.

Last edited:
OP
B

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
"Honoring the legacy of Theodore Roosevelt, we will conserve and protect our beautiful natural resources for the next generation – including protecting lands for anglers, hunters and all who enjoy the outdoors" Donald Trump like two days ago.

BHA should be happy, all the chicken little sky is falling talk should make them a mint. The board of directors should be living well the next 4-8yrs.

You're right, I'm sure all that stuff in the party platform about selling off federal land to states and the appointment of a pro-land sale Secretary of the Interior is just accidental.

Sent using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR

I am a die hard right winger that supports Trump. But this appointment is troubling. The post here seems to be expressing dissatisfaction or envy of the BHA Board rather than expressing an opinion on the issue at hand. Not really part of the issue being addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
You're right, I'm sure all that stuff in the party platform about selling off federal land to states and the appointment of a pro-land sale Secretary of the Interior is just accidental.

Sent using Tapatalk

Apparently you don't remember that the Republican party didn't want him in the first place, because he doesn't tow the party line on several issues.

TJ

WKR

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers seeks to ensure North America's outdoor heritage of hunting and fishing in a natural setting, through education and work on behalf of wild public lands and waters.

Not exactly self serving is it?

OP
B

blicero

Lil-Rokslider
Apparently you don't remember that the Republican party didn't want him in the first place, because he doesn't tow the party line on several issues.

I remember him being opposed to selling public lands (a claim made largely by his sons, who are avid hunters). And then later being sort of for it when campaigning in Nevada. And now maybe being against it again because he said a few things about Teddy Roosevelt. And then nominating an Interior Secretary who is definitely for it.

What do you remember?

Sent using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.