One ELR Elk, 1583 yards and One LR Elk, 940 yards

MattB

WKR
X2, I have to laugh at people who criticize others on long distance shots just because they cant make them themselves.

What is your definition of "make the shot"? Hitting the vital zone? Recovering the animal? Just hitting the animal?

8nbait

Lil-Rokslider
I love it, nice shooting.
Anyone who has hunted Idaho knows it is all fair chase, no easy hunts in this country.
Great Job!

Broz

WKR
What is your definition of "make the shot"? Hitting the vital zone? Recovering the animal? Just hitting the animal?

Simple answer to this.

Same as any other method of take.

Be it 50 yards running, 100 yards moving, standing, with a rifle, bow, pistol or any legal firearm. A dead animal that is recovered. Hopefully as quick and humane as possible. I see more kills (made shots) than most do each year. I can offer you that poor shots come from all venues and weapons. The distance of the shot has little bearing on the numbers of wounded suffering game.

This is my opinion after seeing over 100 elk killed this year alone and getting ready for 6 more weeks of it.

Nice shot and good job Ryan. Your skill set and practice paid 100% dividends. And no one should deprive you of any legal method of take. Nor anyone else for that matter.

Jeff

njdoxie

WKR
There are some things that will always rub some folks the wrong way, like baiting deer in my home state, no way around it, it's the subject of never ending debate.

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love it, nice shooting.
Anyone who has hunted Idaho knows it is all fair chase, no easy hunts in this country.
Great Job!

Now, that is a fact. Have not found a flat spot yet................

If anyone and I mean anyone has a problem ( I guess the correct term these days is "issue") with Long Range Hunting, it certainly is your right. Now that I've said that, go back and read the long range hunting forum rules. Pretty damn simple.

Randy

Shrek

WKR
Now, that is a fact. Have not found a flat spot yet..............
Randy

That's no joke ! I was just looking at the pictures of the elk and they don't do justice to how freaking steep that mountainside was. Notice we have both elk tied off to keep them from starting to slide again when we cleaned them. All you had to do is lift a leg or move them the tinyest bit and they wanted to slide down the mountain. Damn is that a tough place to hunt !

sendero72

FNG
My hat is off to you guys. Great shooting! Tough terrain to boot. Did my first caribou hunt this year and we shot two caribou. Took two trips which was 12 miles altogether. I'm 61 and thought I'd die on the last half mile to camp. Again my congrats guys!

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I was watching through the ATX and that 1583 yard shot was a beautiful work of ART ! As for packing , I took the picture of Ryan's load with one on my back. Not going to lie , I was hurting before the day even began and I was a zombie by 1am. No pictures of me the next day as I went the other direction to retrieve the LRKM from where we had stashed it. Not mentioned the two days of waiting for the perfect shot and the many hours that day waiting. Ryan had a heck of a kink in his neck from sitting behind the rifle waiting for the shot opportunity. He didn't just hike up and shoot. There was nothing easy about it.

I was damn happy when shrek offered to hike back up and get the LRKM and a few other random items I left up on the mountain! Thanks Again.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That's no joke ! I was just looking at the pictures of the elk and they don't do justice to how freaking steep that mountainside was. Notice we have both elk tied off to keep them from starting to slide again when we cleaned them. All you had to do is lift a leg or move them the tinyest bit and they wanted to slide down the mountain. Damn is that a tough place to hunt !

I must say Shrek, I am impressed. You have come a long ways, brother. Helping a friend with a tough pack out in rough country is as good as it gets.

Congrats on the bull Ryan!

CaNINE

FNG
Ryan - I'd like my first post on this forum to be one congratulating you on a successful hunt. I appreciate the skill, preparation, equipment and responsible go/no-go decision making that all come into play on a shot like that. Well done - Ron

Nice shooting boys, anyone that struggles to grasp the fact you two made a ethical shot and clean kill is full of them selfs. Dudes wound elk at 20 yards with a bow all the time but you make a great shot and here comes the ethic police. The vast majority of hunter in America use baits, food plots, decoys, and so on. Make your own choices and let others make their own. I would never sit in a tree stand but more power to you if you have the discipline. LMAO, keep it up bro!

Broz

WKR
Ryan - I'd like my first post on this forum to be one congratulating you on a successful hunt. I appreciate the skill, preparation, equipment and responsible go/no-go decision making that all come into play on a shot like that. Well done - Ron

One of the best first posts I have ever seen!!! Well said Ron.

Jeff

What Broz said, weapon or distance doesn't matter, lack of preparation results in bad hits or misses.

The other thing to consider is .......... shit happens, there is no sure thing in hunting.

dotman

WKR
Congrats Ryan! Don't let the haters get to you, they probably have wounded and lost more game in the last few years then you ever have. I see plenty of wounded elk and deer each archery season. Heck one of my neighbors had a deer bed in their front yard a few years ago with an arrow in its neck. Shit happens but practice reduces it for any weapons or range! Fair Chase is in the eye of each individual not a record keeping business.

Hell hard core traditional archers say a compound bow isn't fair chase.

Manosteel

WKR
Congrats Ryan, great job and awesome elk. I buit my first longish range rifle this summer with the help of a bUddy and was hitting gongs at 1000. Coming from a dedicated bow hunter those long range shots take a tone of skill and practice.