One ELR Elk, 1583 yards and One LR Elk, 940 yards

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Been a long season and I'm finally getting to this.

I have hunted the same basic area since I was 12, so when October hits I can't wait to get up there. This year was no exception.

Most years we know where the elk will be and set up our long range spots before hand. I try and shoot across them a few times each the summer.

This year my uncle and I ended up killing bulls in the same herd from two different shooting locations within an hour of each other. The bulls died 50 yards apart. Being fat didn't help us any, so we had to call in reinforcements to get the elk off the mountain.

DSC00378_zpsr0cimiml.jpg

The LRKM is a beast! This one is chambered in 338 Edge +P shooting 300 grain Berger OTM's @ 3050

dceaf458-5865-452f-b149-4d109121bedf_zpsbbo6rfo3.jpg

My Uncle Randy Killed his bull first at 940 yards using a Cooper Firearms, Jackson hunter in 7mm with 180 grain Bergers. This was Randy's first elk ever...... He was pretty pumped to say the least! Yes, that is the infamous Shrek in the pic:)

DSC00379_zps4hhjw97e.jpg

Here is the bull I shot at 1583 with the LRKM. I missed the wind call by a half MOA, I was aiming point of shoulder and hit him where the neck meets the body. He went down instantly, Shrek said he didn't even twitch.

ca81f60d-2043-4553-bd6c-9f7c7059823e_zpsaga7702k.jpg

The first load out was a real treat in dark. But its a labor of love, right. This is where the 600 zebralight kicks ass. I also loaded the rambler like a retard but on the hunting frame it felt perfect.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
DSC00387_zps5mlcz24j.jpg

After boning the two elk out we got to the truck at about 1am. Started back up the hill at daylight with our reinforcements. Not going to lie my first load out was 96 pounds, my second (in this pic) was 80 and I liked it much more better.

DSC00385_zpskjjf4vhm.jpg

Randy loading up his pack.

DSC00383_zpsvcrutont.jpg

Kelly hauling meat with DT2 . He is 64 and a beast!

DSC00389_zpsfggl6dw4.jpg

Jim using a EMR 2 with 140+ pounds in it.

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure you can say retard these days but I guess it is your website:cool:
Congrats---I know you worked hard this season and good shooting as usual.

Randy

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
What? Ryan Avery is sharing a hunting story? Amazing :)

Great job Ryan, congrats to you and your Uncle....way to get the job done at distances I can't even fathom shooting. Looks like a lot of work, but totally worth it I am sure!

mt100gr.

WKR
Awesome! How was the terminal performance of the 7mm at 940? ...and any specs on his hunting load with the 180s.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
DSC00390_zpspx6rczwi.jpg

One fat kid and one freak of nature finally making it to the river. Really Jim didn't even break a sweat!

DSC00393_zpsldnvdem9.jpg

Here they are back on flat ground. Big congrats to Randy for his first elk harvest and at 940 to boot! We both swear we will be in better shape next year...... But my bet is the 65 year old will still beat us up the hill:)

Last edited:
Seriously guys...are we all going to sing praises to the choir. This is a Par 6. The hunt begins in about 700 yards. Go back and re-read B&C's recent release on what constitutes fair chase.

4750 feet at say 3000 FPS. "One-one thousand-two". The elk just walked 10 feet after the trigger was pulled.

I am(was) on Rokslide every day. I am now flabbergasted!

Seriously guys...are we all going to sing praises to the choir. This is a Par 6. The hunt begins in about 700 yards. Go back and re-read B&C's recent release on what constitutes fair chase.

4750 feet at say 3000 FPS. "One-one thousand-two". The elk just walked 10 feet after the trigger was pulled.

I am(was) on Rokslide every day. I am now flabbergasted!

Don't read the long range forum if you don't want to read about long range kills.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
You're right, I should of just deleted it.

Last edited:
Those are some nice bulls and great shooting! It's impressive to make kill shots at that kind of distance. I hope after a ton of practice I can kill at 1000. Congrats again!

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
As an admin, thats not how issues like this should be resolved. He has an opinion and stated it without being an A-hat. You should have taken the same path.
As an admin, I'd love to hear your opinion on how this should be resolved. PM if you don't want to derail this awesome Long Range thread.

WRO

WKR
My vote is to let the debate happen else where besides a hunting report thread.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
P.S.---wheres the photos of shrek packing????????????????

Randy

I don't think there is one. I can promise you he did pack some meat and he did roll down the hill when his trekking pole broke:) But really, from flat land to climbing some steep ass hills, he did awesome.