If you never shot over 600 yards?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If you were to never shoot at an animal over 600 yards for the rest of your life, what cartridge and bullet would you shoot?

Personally I think this 6PRC with 109 ELDM's is pretty legit.

1. Satisfies my need for speed (personal ego thing) and a super easy neck down to achieve it
2. I have been extremely please with heavy for caliber ELDM terminal performance of all calibers
3. 109's have a legit BC to help combat wind a little at that max yardage.
4. True short action
5. Still shoot long range steel with good consistency
6. I'm mostly a deer hunter
7. Even for an elk, I feel so confidently placing bullets almost exactly where they need to go with the 6mm's that I wouldn't hesitate to put 1 or 2 ELDM's in the lungs out to 600 yards.
8. Minimal recoil

I personally think extreme long range (1200+ yard) capabilities has driven a lot of my decision making in the past, and even currently. When in all reality, I've never needed it haha. Longest shot opportunity I've ever been presented with, where I genuinely could not get closer, or I would just not be able to see the animal anymore was 974 yards. I'm definitely still going to have a cannon in the arsenal. Just thinking out loud.

For me I've only killed 5 animals beyond 600 yards I think. All across canyon shots with nothing realistic to close the distance to. Maybe 10%ish.

So all the animals under 600 yards (90% of them), I genuinely feel like I would have killed them the same with my above choice. And there's nothing saying I wouldn't have killed the further animals with the 6mm either.

Curious to hear others thoughts and reasonings.
I've been asking this same question a lot, if <600, what do I really need if wanting to use a 6mm? CM or Magnum? I just grabbed some muzzle V's off of here and ran 108 ELDM through calculator and was a bit over 2000 fps, so pretty good to go. Which begs the question for 600 and in, is the PRC even gaining you anything? I think yes - trajectory - but is less dial up worth the recoil? I have a 7PRC and keep thinking the 6 would be nice for lighter recoil with a match bullet to hunt with, and still use that magnum bolt face. But 6 CM sure seems like a good simple answer - I've got a magnum custom action, could use that, or just get one of these Tikkas people keep saying are "okay" ha.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I've been asking this same question a lot, if <600, what do I really need if wanting to use a 6mm? CM or Magnum? I just grabbed some muzzle V's off of here and ran 108 ELDM through calculator and was a bit over 2000 fps, so pretty good to go. Which begs the question for 600 and in, is the PRC even gaining you anything? I think yes - trajectory - but is less dial up worth the recoil? I have a 7PRC and keep thinking the 6 would be nice for lighter recoil with a match bullet to hunt with, and still use that magnum bolt face. But 6 CM sure seems like a good simple answer - I've got a magnum custom action, could use that, or just get one of these Tikkas people keep saying are "okay" ha.
Honestly. The 6 PRC isn’t even necessary. Maybe 200 FPS gain? With 30% more powder and added recoil. But it is just so simple to do, and the need for speed always gets the best of me haha. Also recoil is pretty negligible with a muzzle brake, and probably still with a suppressor.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Just what I’m comfortable with. Nothing more nothing less to be honest
Have you ever actually went to the range and shot a bunch of targets with a mid or small bore rifle vs your 300 WM though? They're so much more pleasurable to shoot, it's ridiculous.

If you like the 7mm-08 check out the 7SAW2. Basically a 7-08 improved. That way you can chop the barrel, run a suppressor, and still have adequate velocity at 600+. Those 160-170 7mm bullets are impressive ballistically and on game, and the whole package is pleasant to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like the 7mm-08 check out the 7SAW2. Basically a 7-08 improved. That way you can chop the barrel, run a suppressor, and still have adequate velocity at 600+. Those 160-170 7mm bullets are impressive ballistically and on game, and the whole package is pleasant to shoot.

My understanding of the SAW is that it doesn't increase capacity at all vs a straight 7-08 so any velocity increases are in effect just pressure increases. And you cant shoot factory 7/08 ammo in one.

My understanding of the SAW is that it doesn't increase capacity at all vs a straight 7-08 so any velocity increases are in effect just pressure increases. And you cant shoot factory 7/08 ammo in one.

I’m not going to claim to know exactly what’s going on in that case in order to achieve the speed increase. All I know is with 165 TGKs in alpha brass, and Federal 205m SRP, I was able to get more than adequate speed out of an 18” barrel for 1800fps at just under 700 yards, something that would be very difficult with a standard 7-08. I was able to back well off the first pressure signs on the case, and find a good node, which is always the first step of my reloading process. I’ve read on other forums that the longer throat of the SAW2 reamer helped with some of the pressure issues with the SAW1 reamer, but have no experience to back that up. WTO says the only reason for the SAW2 vs SAW1 was mag length. True that you cannot shoot factory 7mm-08. It is singe pass resize though for new brass if you’re a reloader, so that’s a big bonus over the 7-08 AI. Or you can just buy Lapua Palma or Alpha brass. Based on chatting with the guys at WTO, I’m expecting 25+ firings on that brass. They said they’ve gotten as many as 30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's the case, then it really disrupts the notion of the 7-08 concept and some of the benefits. For me, I went to 7-08 because it shoots flatter and recoils less than a .308. It's also very easy to reload, and if you're sitting on .308 brass it's an easy one step to neck down your existing brass (my case).

Using the 162 grain ELDs at a modest 2700 MV you can carry 1800 fps beyond 800 yards with even a 22" or 24" barrel.

I would choose the rifles I already have as well. 7-08 and .25-284.

1717001768302.png