One ELR Elk, 1583 yards and One LR Elk, 940 yards

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Awesome! How was the terminal performance of the 7mm at 940? ...and any specs on his hunting load with the 180s.

He hit liver/guts, the elk went 40 yards. MV 2818, Impact velocity 1831, Energy 1340

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
What? Ryan Avery is sharing a hunting story? Amazing :)

Great job Ryan, congrats to you and your Uncle....way to get the job done at distances I can't even fathom shooting. Looks like a lot of work, but totally worth it I am sure!

Thanks Becca

Once in awhile they make me:) I even did a review!

Stwrt9

WKR
Awesome read thanks for sharing. and great shots very impressive, people need to be understand that a lot goes into making a shot like that it truly is a skill that takes a lot of practice and precision. Congrats again

brewer427

WKR
Awesome read thanks for sharing. and great shots very impressive, people need to be understand that a lot goes into making a shot like that it truly is a skill that takes a lot of practice and precision. Congrats again
X2, I have to laugh at people who criticize others on long distance shots just because they cant make them themselves. Why don't those of you who are knocking Ryan go out shooting with him some time and see what it all entails to make a 1000+ yard shot. I max out around 600, not because I think its wrong past that, but because I have not gotten proficient enough to reach beyond that. So my hat goes off to Ryan for taking the time to hone his abilitys that enable him to make this kind of shot.

Very nice bull for you and a fantastic first bull for your uncle. Thanks for taking the time to post this article.

WKR
Nice shooting and great story. Sounds like the Cooper did well. Do you know what that rifle happens to be twisted? A big fan of shooting those Bergers 2800-2900 fps and letting them go to work.

I'm not sure you can say retard these days but I guess it is your website:cool:
Congrats---I know you worked hard this season and good shooting as usual.

Randy

I think it's totally acceptable to use retard when you are referring to yourself!! Nice job on the elk. I think the pack outs just help make it a better story!

KHNC

WKR
Seriously guys...are we all going to sing praises to the choir. This is a Par 6. The hunt begins in about 700 yards. Go back and re-read B&C's recent release on what constitutes fair chase.

4750 feet at say 3000 FPS. "One-one thousand-two". The elk just walked 10 feet after the trigger was pulled.

I am(was) on Rokslide every day. I am now flabbergasted!

I agree. This is way past the bounds of fair chase in my opinion. However, its legal, and some damn good shooting. I am in no way interested in killing an animal at that distance. Obviously plenty of people are tho. To each their own.

Mike7

WKR
Boy, I know of a couple of areas where I could use a Ryan. Since these shots are about 3x's my proficient shooting range...sigh...I will just have to try to improve some more with my more caveman-like methods. Lol.

Nice job Ryan.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. This is way past the bounds of fair chase in my opinion. However, its legal, and some damn good shooting. I am in no way interested in killing an animal at that distance. Obviously plenty of people are tho. To each their own.

Who do YOU think should make the call on what is "fair chase"? What if I didn't think it was fair to use scents and calls to trick a rutting bull?

EVERY hunter uses tools that give them advantages over the animal. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. Hunting is about managing animal populations in an ethical manner. Killing an animal cleanly, with minimal suffering accomplishes that goal. I don't care what weapon a hunter uses, or how close or far they do it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who do YOU think should make the call on what is "fair chase"? What if I didn't think it was fair to use scents and calls to trick a rutting bull?

EVERY hunter uses tools that give them advantages over the animal. Anyone who says otherwise is a liar. Hunting is about managing animal populations in an ethical manner. Killing an animal cleanly, with minimal suffering accomplishes that goal. I don't care what weapon a hunter uses, or how close or far they do it.
I don't think this thread is the place for this debate. Your opinion is no better than his fyi

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I love this for 2 reasons. First, I aint exactly going to blow off the mountain but I might be first in line at the buffet. 2 I have recently got into Long Range Hunting and have a lot of respect for those committed to it. To me, the hunt starts like at least a couple of years before you actually get out of the truck or tent. Researching the right rifle, round, optic, bullets, powder. Getting it all worked together doing load development. Getting to know your rifle as well as your limitations. Practice, practice, practice. Its not to say that you will pass on a bull that steps out at 100 yards, its being confident on your ability and equipment and knowing what your maximum distance is. Cool stuff Ryan. I would rather see that then these idiots that just grab their rifle, never sight it in or verify its still on. By the cheapest ammo you can find and then shoot at anything they see. I used to work at a shop and it was amazing how many "hunters" would go in and by a rifle the week/day before the season, get it bore sited and than think good enough. Again, back to the thread and great job on a fine hunt.

Shrek

WKR
I was watching through the ATX and that 1583 yard shot was a beautiful work of ART ! As for packing , I took the picture of Ryan's load with one on my back. Not going to lie , I was hurting before the day even began and I was a zombie by 1am. No pictures of me the next day as I went the other direction to retrieve the LRKM from where we had stashed it. Not mentioned the two days of waiting for the perfect shot and the many hours that day waiting. Ryan had a heck of a kink in his neck from sitting behind the rifle waiting for the shot opportunity. He didn't just hike up and shoot. There was nothing easy about it.