Old man workoutd

FLATHEAD

WKR
I agree, just try to stay busy moving, doing something.
Currently 55, I am starting my spring/summer garden and
I dont own a tiller or a tractor. All done with a shovel & rake.
Another is moving some dirt from one side of the property
to a backstop for my target range. This is
done with a shovel and a wheelbarrow. Think I'm up to
23 loads now and it's starting to take shape. Prolly halfway
done. Maybe 100 yards 1 way.
And I love to fish in my kayak.
I find exercise, just for the sake of exercise too mundane.
Just cant do it.
**I do have a couple 30lb dumbells I play with.

Last edited:

PA-R

Lil-Rokslider
I am all ears, older guy here, farmer, still do lots of work, light weights, lot of reps, rucking with 20-25 # pack, flatlander, only hills are the levees. PETERK123 IS RIGHT ON, Peter.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I hit 60 last December. Have slowly transitioned to lower impact stuff and generally lower weight with higher reps. But, yes, you gotta keep moving. I think a couple hours of cardio per week starting in the spring is kind of my baseline for hunting out west in the fall - which I intend to continue as long as I can.

*zap*

WKR
Low intensity, long duration and very frequent cardio. Lighter weight rucking. 20% of bodyweight or so....

Deadlifts, rdl's, good mornings, dips, pull ups, chin ups, ohp, ass to grass back squats, leg presses and weighted carries.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
Buy the book Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade. Humbly start at the very first step of each exercise and then progress honestly. Too many people try to get in shape and quickly injure themselves, never to return. Nobody IMO should be doing dips, chins, pulls etc. without putting in the effort and TIME to build strong tendons, ligaments, and all necessary supporting muscles. It's a recipe for disaster.

The one good thing about hitting 65 is medicare covers my gym membership. I go 3 times a week. As soon as the weather gets better(Mich.) I will also start hiking with a weighted (2 pieces of firewood)backpack each day.

*zap*

WKR
Yes, structured progression is very important....I read the op's question as to what people do not how to start at an older age.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
The one good thing about hitting 65 is medicare covers my gym membership. I go 3 times a week. As soon as the weather gets better(Mich.) I will also start hiking with a weighted (2 pieces of firewood)backpack each day.
Medicare covers gym membership?? Hmmm...

oldillini

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be watching this. Nearly 66 and just retired last week. Need to invest more time on my health. Too much desk job time.

OP
R

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be 63 years old in June. This is todays shooting workout. I wear a heart rate monitor to determine average and maximum heart rate.

150 yard jog, 10 burpees, 20 air squats afterwhich I shoot at a 6” steel target from kneeling using shooting sticks (trekking pole) from 100 yards. I repeat this 5 times for a total time.

150 yard jog, 5 burpees, 15 air squats, 15 laying down leg raises, afterwhich I shoot at a 4” steel target from seated using trekking poles

Heart monitor is used for all drills. Then I go home and take an old man nap.

“Stay strong , stay upright “

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
58.6 and will follow along…..a young vibrant dog helps🤙 Keep moving daily is key use it or lose it….we all have injuries🤣🤙find what motivates you is key

Attachments

• 0DF89EFC-29A4-489A-B87B-93EB6340BBF6.jpeg
    0DF89EFC-29A4-489A-B87B-93EB6340BBF6.jpeg
    544.2 KB · Views: 23

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
35 lb daypack I wear to walk the dog 2 miles/day. Also carry it to work, in and out of the truck, do laps with it on lunch. Did some push-ups with it on. I aggravated my IT Band last year and it’s still not tight. So no squats right now. Treat the bag like my security blanket. And my briefcase is another 10? Lbs. so I’m close to 90% of my pack weight. Can’t hurt. I’ll gradually increase the weight. Hills and altitude I have no recipe for.

I did Orange Theory last year for 6 weeks before my mountain hunt. This year I plan to get a fitbit or something that goes with an app. Point is I will try to replicate OT on my own. If you’re not familiar, Google OT it seems valid.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
I am a young fiifty one. Where i live there are no gyms. I wish they were. I find things I have to to do to stay i shape. I run 6 miles a day, around 800 feet of vertical when i calculate it. And I do that five or six days a week. I do not have any "gym" tools. So I am Up to 250 pushups, 125 "dips", And sit ups till it burns. these are all in sets. I have a pull up bar. I do not pack heavy loads until I have too. Dont want to beat my knees up. I do a lot of cardio, when you have to pack, ...... you have to pack. I am going to hang a bar so I can do pull ups. I guess I am saying just stay active. I hunt elk in nasty frank church country. I have packed elk out in places some would pass on.

pjh360

FNG
I am 62. Lately I have been into kettlebell workouts - swings, flows, squats, lunges, presses, pull through push ups - along with running, rowing, or ski erg for some cardio.

*zap*

WKR
Old tire off the rim and a 16# sledge....that will work you out in a short time, great for core. Start with 2 sets of 10 swings and add one swing more to that as appropriate. Kettlebells are very good also.. these are great supplemental things to do in addition to the top compound strength movements.

OP
R

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
Todays workout was a 5.5 mile hike in some nearby foothills with a 30 lb pack. Hamstrings are a little tight.