Old man workoutd

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate the gym, always have. I use nature's treadmill.....the mountains.
Having a four legged friend is a huge incentive to get out and hike. I usually take Miss Ginger out somewhere every day and every couple of days, do something harder with more elevation gain. Just takes more time to recover after the hard ones.

RandyScreenshot_20210718-200850_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210513-223258_Gallery.jpg

OP
R

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
Todays workout light high rep deadlifts, light back squats , hanging leg raises, stretching.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My "regime" for the last ten years or so is to hike 5-ish day with weekly totals in the 30 mile range. These are single track trails with a fair bit of climbing (and descending). Hikes during the week are 3-5 miles, the weekend usually brings one longer hike of 10+ miles (usually in the mountains with a backpack). Interspersed are longer backpacking trips summer through winter.

I strength train twice a week- Wendler 5/3/1 revamped for me doing squats/bench on one day, deadlifts/overhead press the other. I work the core during those workouts as well as accessory lifts of pull/chin-ups, dips and lunges.

The key imho is building the aerobic base, this takes months (maybe years?) and then keeping it up. Even elite athletes are taking advantage of the newer studies showing that the vast majority of your mileage should be in the moderate heart range where you know you're exerting, but can still carry on a conversation. Some go much deeper into the zones of training- check into uphill athlete.

Consistency. I see too many 6 week this and 12 week that; training should be year round. Make it a routine.

I just finished probably the toughest trip of my life -snowshoeing a 100 miles across the Bob Marshall Wilderness. It was arduous (and a bit too dangerous in honesty) and I'm beat up for sure. But satisfying knowing that only a small handful of folks would be capable of a trip like this and far, far fewer at age 64 :)

My "regime" for the last ten years or so is to hike 5-ish day with weekly totals in the 30 mile range. These are single track trails with a fair bit of climbing (and descending). Hikes during the week are 3-5 miles, the weekend usually brings one longer hike of 10+ miles (usually in the mountains with a backpack). Interspersed are longer backpacking trips summer through winter.

I strength train twice a week- Wendler 5/3/1 revamped for me doing squats/bench on one day, deadlifts/overhead press the other. I work the core during those workouts as well as accessory lifts of pull/chin-ups, dips and lunges.

The key imho is building the aerobic base, this takes months (maybe years?) and then keeping it up. Even elite athletes are taking advantage of the newer studies showing that the vast majority of your mileage should be in the moderate heart range where you know you're exerting, but can still carry on a conversation. Some go much deeper into the zones of training- check into uphill athlete.

Consistency. I see too many 6 week this and 12 week that; training should be year round. Make it a routine.

I just finished probably the toughest trip of my life -snowshoeing a 100 miles across the Bob Marshall Wilderness. It was arduous (and a bit too dangerous in honesty) and I'm beat up for sure. But satisfying knowing that only a small handful of folks would be capable of a trip like this and far, far fewer at age 64 :)
Damn what a goal. Good for you!

OP
R

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
Todays workout, 5.5 mile hike, on flat ground with a 50 lb pack. Come on guys don’t wait till July before you start getting ready for hunting season. Yeah we are getting older but we can’t quite. Stay strong , stay upright

After reading your posts - I'm impressed. I'm 71, no shoulders and living where it is damn cold. So what is exercise? Every other week I move a 1/2 cord of wood from the garage to the porch. When it is reasonable ( no 60 mph winds with snow). I start with a couple miles a week on walks. As it gets comfortable, I change to a hill where I can lose and gain 400 ft of elevation in a mile.

As the snow goes away I start cutting wood and stacking limbs. I try to cut about 1/2 cord a day for about a month. By June I start replacing posts and cutting out fence lines. After that I start cutting fir for winter wood. Most of it is in the 18-24 " diameter range. After I gather about 6-7 chords I can put the those saws away.

Then I start cutting trails on horseback. They work me and I work them. For a change I shovel gravel into a sluice box for placer gold. The two exercises keep me pushing the edge and building endurance.

At the end of July I start cutting hay. Depending on the year I put up 600-700 small squares and stack them in the barn.

I continue cutting trails and in September I shoe my horses and get ready to start scouting for elk.

By pushing the edge but not working beyond my limits I stay in pretty good shape so I can hunt every day of hunting season. With two hip replacements, I have found that it is better to build endurance and maintain strength without pushing too far and wearing out the body parts I haven't replaced yet.

Just a differant perspective. I think it is better to ride the least and walk the most. Even riding horses, I lead them downhill.

BBob

WKR
newer studies showing that the vast majority of your mileage should be in the moderate heart range where you know you're exerting, but can still carry on a conversation.
Ha! What's old is new again. That sounds like Phil Maffetone and six-time Ironman Triathlon champ Mark Allen's method from the 80's! I believe it's called the MAF method. I followed it and did very well on the bike back then and still keep it in mind training to this day. ;)

S.Clancy

WKR

I'm young (35), but I think everyone needs to be running 5/3/1. I design my program of its template, but being strong is key from birth to death. Wendler 5/3/1 and cardio = machine

Just a sidenote. For many of you coming from low elevation to high elevations, allow for a couple days for your body to build extra red blood cells. I can't remember what the threshold is but there just isn't much oxygen above that level and you must adapt. Some portions of Montana and certainly Colorado will meet that.

When I visited Peru on a job we were at 17,800 ft. A number of the group got elevation sickness. My place is at 6,700 ft and my neighbor brings his bulls up for the summer to see which ones carry the genes for elevation sickness.

The good news is that after week here you will feel like superman until your body readjusts but it only takes a few days after you get home.

Turned 60 in February. Dirt bikes and surfing are about the only things I can stand to do consistently. Thankfully a bit active at work, involving hefting 50 pound bags of salt. I do walk around the neighborhood periodically with a 70 pound pack. I keep it at 50 or less when camping, except for hauling meat.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
63. Still working full time. HITT 4 days a week. Spin 1-2 times per week. Start rucking in June. Mtn Biking after the snow melts. Love surfing, not very good at it, whenever possible.
Exercise is great for the mind and body.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thursdays workout and was much better than work🥰

Attachments

• C4315168-0E99-4B77-8E7E-2A9990A543E2.png
    C4315168-0E99-4B77-8E7E-2A9990A543E2.png
    318.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 048CF03E-1AB6-41AD-A0D2-5DF6F8324E10.jpeg
    048CF03E-1AB6-41AD-A0D2-5DF6F8324E10.jpeg
    346.3 KB · Views: 32
OP
R

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
Todays workout 7.5 mike flat road ruck with my hunting pack. Keep working it guys.
Stay strong , stay upright