Seekins PH2 re-barrel weight savings?

Marcjr47

FNG
Me personally I would go through Seekins. Now, I do not own a Seekins…. Yet…. But I find myself in the same debate for my first purchase of one. The problem for me is finding either one in a 6.5prc in west Michigan or shipped to my ffl. Everything seems to be back ordered.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Me personally I would go through Seekins. Now, I do not own a Seekins…. Yet…. But I find myself in the same debate for my first purchase of one. The problem for me is finding either one in a 6.5prc in west Michigan or shipped to my ffl. Everything seems to be back ordered.
Theres at least 3 of them on gunbroker.

Marcjr47

FNG
I did see that, the desert camo one is the one I want too lol. He won’t ship to a residential ffl unfortunately.

OP
rileybassman
Well not a rebarrel, but I had a local smith cut my PH2 to 22".

Didn't shave off a ton of weight, but it did trim off some. Much handier setup! He was able to cut it to 9/16".

Weight is with magazine and rail.

lHp9PKth.jpg

ContTUXh.jpg

Q83EwKlh.jpg

u49dJxrh.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Been talking to a gunsmith about cutting and threading the ph2. After seeing rileybassman’s rifle above, going to do it. 26” barrel and a can is loooong

OP
rileybassman
Been talking to a gunsmith about cutting and threading the ph2. After seeing rileybassman’s rifle above, going to do it. 26” barrel and a can is loooong
Where in MT are you at? I used Hoover Precision in Columbia Falls and he was great!

Edit - this is what I ordered based off his recommendation - he had one in shop he sizes to.

OP
rileybassman
Absolutely - his name is Eric - PM me if you need contact info. Turn around was under a week.

OP
rileybassman
Ok so final update - long story short, we opted to send to seekins for an actual re-barrel - don’t recommend trying to cut into the PH2 flutes - they are so deep that concentric threads are tough.

But the interesting facts - the re-barrel was with a 7PRC element barrel for $550.

It saves a decent amount of weight - the first pic was a 22” cut PH2 barrel - the second is with a 22” element re-barrel on the PH2 action. Definitely shaves weight going to the lighter profile barrel.

22” cut PH2 profile
TWi7kYUh.jpg

22” re-barreled element contour on PH2 action
C2qFlVth.jpg

With stock pack and Nx8 4-32 with NF mediums:
UADjKdOh.jpg

jjz7CAih.jpg

GDj8riyh.jpg

Last edited:

jhoff04

FNG
Ok so final update - long story short, we opted to send to seekins for an actual re-barrel - don’t recommend trying to cut into the PH2 flutes - they are so deep that concentric threads are tough.

But the interesting facts - the re-barrel was with a 7PRC element barrel for $550.

It saves a decent amount of weight - the first pic was a 22” cut PH2 barrel - the second is with a 22” element re-barrel on the PH2 action. Definitely shaves weight going to the lighter profile barrel.

22” cut PH2 profile
TWi7kYUh.jpg

22” re-barreled element contour on PH2 action
C2qFlVth.jpg

With stock pack and Nx8 4-32 with NF mediums:
UADjKdOh.jpg

jjz7CAih.jpg

GDj8riyh.jpg
Ok, I know you said "long story short" but I'm kind of curious how or why you ended up just getting a new barrel? Sounds like you discovered the threads weren't concentric... were there firing/ performance issues? Or simply notice the can was crooked?

FWIW, when discussing my options with the gentleman at Seekins, he did say that cutting the barrel down is certainly an option and does not void the warranty on the rifle (he didn't elaborate). I would just assume you'd just need a gunsmith that has some experience chopping these down... which is probably pretty hard to come by?

Asking because I really want a PH2 but also have a suppressor and don't like the idea of paying an extra $500+ for a different barrel and sitting on a perfect new 26" barrel that I'm assuming has no resale value.

OP
rileybassman
Ok, I know you said "long story short" but I'm kind of curious how or why you ended up just getting a new barrel? Sounds like you discovered the threads weren't concentric... were there firing/ performance issues? Or simply notice the can was crooked?

FWIW, when discussing my options with the gentleman at Seekins, he did say that cutting the barrel down is certainly an option and does not void the warranty on the rifle (he didn't elaborate). I would just assume you'd just need a gunsmith that has some experience chopping these down... which is probably pretty hard to come by?

Asking because I really want a PH2 but also have a suppressor and don't like the idea of paying an extra $500+ for a different barrel and sitting on a perfect new 26" barrel that I'm assuming has no resale value.
So, without trashing anyone, the can was crooked. Caught it prior to shooting fortunately.

He re-cut and it was the same situation. He chatted with Seekins and we opted to send in for a rebarrel. Not sure if it's true across the board, but his lathe wasn't able to handle the super deep flutes. Had we not cut into the flutes, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Supposedly in his conversation with Seekins, even they can't cut consistently through the deep flutes either... Not sure as I didn't talk to them in person, but he's a competent smith and I trust his assessment.

He did right by me, took a project, offered to pay for the barrel, I opted to split cost with him as he was willing to take a bit of a risk on an unknown. He handled the shipping etc. I'm satisfied even if it was a bit of a rodeo getting there.

That's the short version of where we ended up. I'd say you could whack a couple inches off, but just check can clearance prior to shooting if you do opt to try cutting it.

I will say at least for carrying, I prefer the lighter profile. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but Seekins test shot and I trust them.

Basically, you can get an "element" with a steel action for $2400 as opposed to an aluminum Element (factory) for $2850.

Saves $450 at the cost of ~ 6-8 oz.

jhoff04

FNG
So, without trashing anyone, the can was crooked. Caught it prior to shooting fortunately.

He re-cut and it was the same situation. He chatted with Seekins and we opted to send in for a rebarrel. Not sure if it's true across the board, but his lathe wasn't able to handle the super deep flutes. Had we not cut into the flutes, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Supposedly in his conversation with Seekins, even they can't cut consistently through the deep flutes either... Not sure as I didn't talk to them in person, but he's a competent smith and I trust his assessment.

He did right by me, took a project, offered to pay for the barrel, I opted to split cost with him as he was willing to take a bit of a risk on an unknown. He handled the shipping etc. I'm satisfied even if it was a bit of a rodeo getting there.

That's the short version of where we ended up. I'd say you could whack a couple inches off, but just check can clearance prior to shooting if you do opt to try cutting it.

I will say at least for carrying, I prefer the lighter profile. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but Seekins test shot and I trust them.

Basically, you can get an "element" with a steel action for $2400 as opposed to an aluminum Element (factory) for $2850.

Saves $450 at the cost of ~ 6-8 oz.

appreciate the feedback! I can certainly see how that is an extremely difficult task. Maybe would be more comfortable with doing it for a muzzle break (i think there'd be more tolerance?) but saving a few hundred bucks is not worth blowing out a suppressor, or worse.

OP
rileybassman
appreciate the feedback! I can certainly see how that is an extremely difficult task. Maybe would be more comfortable with doing it for a muzzle break (i think there'd be more tolerance?) but saving a few hundred bucks is not worth blowing out a suppressor, or worse.
Yes - I have the old barrel and can run a break on it if needed.

yeah - for sure!

SloppyJ

WKR
If seekins will do an entire new barrel for 590, that's the best you're going to find. A blank will eat up most of that budget. Not sure I've seen prefits for them.

Now if it's just cutting your old one down, that's not worth it.

You could find a proof for around 750 or so and have it chambered but you're going to double that price. Xcaliber just had a sale but again, you'd have to get it chambered and that's going to be 450 or so.