Off season for the dogs

jmez

WKR
Great weekend on the prairie. The guy flushing, my mentor and my godfather. One of, if not the best as amateur trainers in Field Trial history. In the Bird Dog Hall of Fame. Last year at nearly 80 years old, won 4 championships including a national championship. Has won over 30 championships, some shooting dog, most all age.
4658beff2a513c704e44656c0f18ae5c.jpg
0fb47bb7094967860c87b5cb19e3f0d4.jpg
a54bdb072d0e53430076da69eb5fb04d.jpg
4377c75400d4b7fe0631934633d96fb5.jpg
0a961e7905a2ae20a4d8a16c65089f54.jpg
21eda41262e9a6954f8bd133a044c3df.jpg

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk

OP
Jason Snyder
Two weeks till test day. We did a few blinds in the field with ducks, heavy grass out to about 70 yards. Great work and delivery on all of them. We also did a 300m duck drag. She’s easily hitting the corner an and delivering to hand.

One more water session this weekend, test the following, then hunt like fools till February, then start training again.

IMG_1297.jpeg

CMP70306

WKR
Took Cedar out last night for her final “official” hunt training on chukars. This time my brother and I got to shoot birds over her rather than letting her chase down birds with pulled flight feathers.

Overall she did great and if nothing else I can officially say that I cleanly killed the first bird I ever shot over my first bird dog with my grandfather’s shotgun.

IMG_5071.jpeg

The second one not so much, I shot behind it and we had to track it down but it did give me the opportunity to direct her in the direction of the bird which was neat and I killed it on the first shot that time.

IMG_5072.jpeg

We also ended up unintentionally splitting the birds evenly between my brother and I with each of us getting 3 birds. She also showed some tendency to point on a couple of the birds though others she ran right over. Scenting conditions were dry and hot with almost no wind yet she still managed to find all 6 birds and she was also able to track down a cripple that ran 60 yards from where it landed.

The picture below is her delivering the last bird of the night, it flushed through the group so we just watched to see where it landed and then circled back after we got the second bird. It was on the side of the hill and when she flushed it it flew as a hard crossing shot past my brother and he smoked it. You can see the puff of feathers just to the left of one of the stands.

IMG_5074.jpeg

IMG_5084.jpeg

She also got to rest in the pond between rounds which she thoroughly enjoyed.

IMG_5038.jpeg

Overall she did great and I am thoroughly looking forward to hunting with her this fall. We are already planning some hunts as well as looking at buying some birds to stock on our property for a weekend hunt.

jmez

WKR
Little dog has 4 finds this am. All singles. No pics. Waaaay to much training with her to take pics right now.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2024 using Tapatalk

TSAMP

WKR
I'd seen these 3d dummy's around and always thought they seemed like a gimmick. Finally caved and got one. I gotta say it's the best 30 bucks I've spent in awhile. My dogs have always been a little sloppy with their bumper holds (I realize there is specific training for this)
But for a guy who just hunts and likes good hunting dogs this thing has been great. Dogs get more excited about it and it's far more representative of what they need to get used to.

1000004175.jpg

OP
Jason Snyder
Quick water session tonight. Friday was a train wreck. Things started great, but we moved to a different spot and little dog wouldn’t enter the water. Tried collar tone and then very light electricity. No dice. So…I went swimming. Physically forced her across. We finished the day with some marked throws and it was obvious she did NOT like the entry point at all.

Tonight we started with a gunfire sensitivity drill, followed by a blind. Followed by marked throws and gunfire. Then two more blinds, then two more marked throws with gunfire.

No hiccups. Probably the last training session before the test on Sunday.

IMG_1318.jpegIMG_1320.jpeg

KurtR

WKR
Quick water session tonight. Friday was a train wreck. Things started great, but we moved to a different spot and little dog wouldn’t enter the water. Tried collar tone and then very light electricity. No dice. So…I went swimming. Physically forced her across. We finished the day with some marked throws and it was obvious she did NOT like the entry point at all.

Tonight we started with a gunfire sensitivity drill, followed by a blind. Followed by marked throws and gunfire. Then two more blinds, then two more marked throws with gunfire.

No hiccups. Probably the last training session before the test on Sunday.

View attachment 759024View attachment 759025
Did you force to the water and do swim by? I know a girl that has a wire hair she had to do both her dog would no go her and it fixed the problem.

OP
Jason Snyder
Did you force to the water and do swim by? I know a girl that has a wire hair she had to do both her dog would no go her and it fixed the problem.
Not sure I am tracking with your question? I grabbed her collar and pulled her across as I swam (tried not to drown) until she would go to the Dokken on her own.

KurtR

WKR
Not sure I am tracking with your question? I grabbed her collar and pulled her across as I swam (tried not to drown) until she would go to the Dokken on her own.
So force to water is like force to pile on land. Its building compulsion. Dog at your side you say back dog goes and you say back nick back enroute. Then if the dog no goes at your side you take a step forward and heel nick heel. Its way more than that condensed version and explained alot better on video or some podcast. But its the tool in the tool belt for when a dog doesnt want to do something and you need them to.

Here is a force to pile

here is force to water and swim by

TSAMP

WKR
Did some training over the weekend on pheasant tracks. Then did a 5 mile loop in state ground with wild birds. The green thistle is hard on the young dog.

Attachments

• 20240908_090822.jpg
    20240908_090822.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240908_083929.jpg
    20240908_083929.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 14

IanCOLO

FNG
Not totally familiar with the German scoring but I am aware 10’s and 11’s are the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk