NWT Sheep gear decisions help

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Here's the details: First 10 days this August. Chopper supported into base camp then "day hunt" returning to camp each day.

Rain coat: I have both. Either Kuiu Chugach or Kutana

Puffy: I have both. Either Kuiu Super down pro or Super down Lt

Spotter....bring or no. I could always bring and leave in tent if pack weight becomes an issue for me?

I'm around 33-37 lb for day pack depending on decisions above. This is INCLUDING rifle, 7 rounds ammo and 1L water

Last edited:
For early August based on NWT and BC:

Chugach Raincoat
Light Super Down coat
Leave spotter behind if guide has an excellent spotter with a digiscope attachment and good phone....otherwise take it with all the above plus a tripod. Big weight decision for sure...7 pounds in my case.

And your day hunting pack is heavy!!! I would try to get it as light as possible (under 20#s)! That much weight will slow you down and wear you out unless you are in super shape and super tough. Let the guide carry the essentials of food, shelter, tripod and spotter. All this is based on me....but you do you! Good luck!

Last edited:
Definitely that daypack weight is way too heavy especially if that is without rifle. I can do 10 day backpack hunts with food, spotting scope, my own tent, and rifle with about 42-45lbs. Personally, I’d never not have my own spotting scope and tripod but individual results may vary. Maybe list out what you’re carrying in your daypack that will provide some insight on what’s making it so heavy. Happy to share some of my excel sheets I build before sheep hunts if that would help

cbeard64

WKR
Whether you bring your spotting scope and setup depends on what the guide has. Most times you won’t have that information ahead of time. I always brought my scope, tripod, etc. with me to base camp. Sometimes we took mine and sometimes we took the guide’s, but we never took both. Most often we took mine.
Your mileage may vary as some insist on having their own spotter.

I like the Chugach and the Super Down Pro. To me another few ounces for the Pro has always been worth it.

Have fun and good luck!

I bring my binos with tripod for every hunt. Since I already have my tripod, no way I'd leave my spotter home for a sheep hunt. Plus add your own phone scope system. Participate in the glassing and evaluation.

I'd take the Super Down Pro and the Chugach. You could easily end up on a stationary ambush style caribou hunt for many days and will enjoy the extra warmth. (Assuming you bought a caribou tag).

One change I would've made to my heli suported sheep hunt. I would've brought my ExPed Mega Mat instead of my lightweight thermarest. Might as well sleep better if I'm not carrying it on my back every day.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
Tagging in - will be heading up to the NWT in 2026 for Dall, so really liking the advice posted so far.

Not trying to derail, but for those bringing your spotter, what spotters do you have? I have a Swaro ATX with the 85mm, but wondering if it's too much weight. Wondering if the compact spotter like the Swaro ATC is a better option (although lower mag).

Tagging in - will be heading up to the NWT in 2026 for Dall, so really liking the advice posted so far.

Not trying to derail, but for those bringing your spotter, what spotters do you have? I have a Swaro ATX with the 85mm, but wondering if it's too much weight. Wondering if the compact spotter like the Swaro ATC is a better option (although lower mag).
Ran the kowa 773 on a couple hunts and the swaro atc last year on a stone hunt. It was neck and neck w a 65mm swaro my guide had. We spent quite a bit of time judging rams with both and one wasn’t better than the other But one was significantly lighter😂.
I will be on my second NWT hunt in 2026 as well. Who are you going with? My profile pic is a 2022 cancellation NWT dall.

I used a Swaro ATX 65 mm and thought it was perfect. It might be good excuse to add the 65 to your collection. Or bring your 85 and try to lose one pound of body weight. Maybe add a few squats and lunges to your routine. :)

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
For early August based on NWT and BC:

Chugach Raincoat
Light Super Down coat
Leave spotter behind if guide has an excellent spotter with a digiscope attachment and good phone....otherwise take it with all the above plus a tripod. Big weight decision for sure...7 pounds in my case.

And your day hunting pack is heavy!!! I would try to get it as light as possible (under 20#s)! That much weight will slow you down and wear you out unless you are in super shape and super tough. Let the guide carry the essentials of food, shelter, tripod and spotter. All this is based on me....but you do you! Good luck!
I’ll work on it some more but that is with rifle strapped on the pack and rifle comes in just under 8lbs with 3 rounds

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my gear list https://lighterpack.com/r/iaoz9l
The Stared items are what will be in my Day Pack MINUS WATER and Daily Snacks
The stared items come out to 24.98 lbs, again including my rifle strapped to the pack.

My spotter will cost me another 3.8 lbs

Please feel free to tear it apart, especially the day hunt list (starred items).

I've backpack hunted for over 10 years in my home state of CO so feel pretty good about it but I've never hunted sheep and besides AK Caribou hunt this will be my first trip this far North.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved

I did most of my sheep hunting with a 65mm Zeiss Diascope. It was perfection for me for 20 years. I few years ago I “upgraded” to a Swarovski system. ATX/BTX/65/95. After a while I realized it was worth it to carry the 95 for everything. I sold the 65mm objective and put it towards an ATC. I’m certain if I can ever justify the ungodly price of a Canadian sheep hunt again, I will bring that little ATC gem. Given the choice between the 85 and 65 Swaro, I would take the 1# penalty of the 85mm one hundred times out of one hundred.

I carry a Swaro 20-60x65mm HD angled Magnesium body spotter made 13 years ago, along with a phone scope. Worked fine for me on the 8 DIY bowhunts for Stones before I got a ram, and on a following hunt where my buddy arrowed his ram. I always digiscoped rams to really judge age and horn length due to our requirements for a legal ram to be eight years old or have a horn(s) above the bridge of the nose. Having a still photos to enlarge really let me study rams for false annuli, etc. Daylight is long up north in early sheep season so you really are't glassing in low light. And on backpack hunts I try to minimize weight knowing there are always tradeoffs.

When I went on a guided Dall hunt in the NWT (Canol) my guide had the same 65mm Swaro as I did so my Swaro stayed home. All the guides when I was there (4) used Swaro 65mm scopes that fall. I know one freelance guide that used a pack dog had a 85mm Swaro but he was gone before I arrived having guided one client.

All that said, today I'd buy the Swaro ATC and be happy with it and good digiscoping attachment tripod.
I did use 60X on occasion but could live with less choosing to enlarge the view electronically on the iPhone. Note that I own a Nikon ED 13-30x50mm HD and it does not cut it for me to judge legal sheep or caribou when I tried it. Nice scope to pack though and works for some of my hunts, just not the two noted above.

Definitely that daypack weight is way too heavy especially if that is without rifle. I can do 10 day backpack hunts with food, spotting scope, my own tent, and rifle with about 42-45lbs. Personally, I’d never not have my own spotting scope and tripod but individual results may vary. Maybe list out what you’re carrying in your daypack that will provide some insight on what’s making it so heavy. Happy to share some of my excel sheets I build before sheep hunts if that would help
I would love to see your gear lists. Last year I went Sheep hunting here in Alberta for 9 days and ended up with a pack weight of 60 pounds with my rifle ,spotter and tripod. I have already figured out how to cut about 5 pounds with stuff that I do not need. My food was dehydrated at home and ended up at about 18 pounds of my load. Anyhow would appreciate seeing what you take.

schmalzy

WKR
I would love to see your gear lists. Last year I went Sheep hunting here in Alberta for 9 days and ended up with a pack weight of 60 pounds with my rifle ,spotter and tripod. I have already figured out how to cut about 5 pounds with stuff that I do not need. My food was dehydrated at home and ended up at about 18 pounds of my load. Anyhow would appreciate seeing what you take.

If you’re looking to shave any more, I would recommend using lighterpack.com and posting it in the lightweight section. I thought I had a “light” pack and was able to shave close to 5 pounds and probably spent less than 100 bucks swapping some stuff out.

A lot of the sheep guys are great about weighing in (no pun intended) on it all. Significantly helped me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up here. My first step is figuring out what is staying in my pack and getting everything weighed.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck on the trip. You will be in for a great time. I brought my 65 atx and tripop on my dall hunt in the NWT and honestly thought it was not necessary. I have since purchased the ATC and a the small AOKA tripod is perfect for it on a long backpack hunt and ran that on my stone hunt last year. I understand the sentiment about hating to share glass but my guide brought up a great point that when they sheep hunt with the other guides (which some outfits will let them take a ram every few years) they only take one spotter between the two of them. Dall sheep are typically easier to spot and have plenty of time to look at them with one spotter. I think finding stone sheep in timber or elk are a different story and I liked having my own spotter on those hunts. Considering the amount of time carrying it vs looking through it I did feel it was redundant with both of us carrying the exact same spotting scope. The weight or lackthereof not carrying a spotting scope and tripod is very noticeable. I would take the heavier down coat as you can get cold and the weight difference vs extra warmth is worth it to have more warmth. It can snow that time of year.

Attached is my pack list including food, water (32oz) tent gun, pack etc for 9 days right around 40lbs. I can send you my exact food list if you want to pm me but I never feel hungry. That said I only weigh 125 so I really try to keep weight down as it starts adding up quicky on my frame and the old “just loose 5-10lbs” doesn’t apply to me lol.
IMG_9909.pngIMG_9910.png

Last edited:
OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck on the trip. You will be in for a great time. I brought my 65 atx and tripop on my dall hunt in the NWT and honestly thought it was not necessary. I have since purchased the ATC and a the small AOKA tripod is perfect for it on a long backpack hunt and ran that on my stone hunt last year. I understand the sentiment about hating to share glass but my guide brought up a great point that when they sheep hunt with the other guides (which some outfits will let them take a ram every few years) they only take one spotter between the two of them. Dall sheep are typically easier to spot and have plenty of time to look at them with one spotter. I think finding stone sheep in timber or elk are a different story and I liked having my own spotter on those hunts. Considering the amount of time carrying it vs looking through it I did feel it was redundant with both of us carrying the exact same spotting scope. The weight or lackthereof not carrying a spotting scope and tripod is very noticeable. I would take the heavier down coat as you can get cold and the weight difference vs extra warmth is worth it to have more warmth. It can snow that time of year.

Attached is my pack list including food, water (32oz) tent gun, pack etc for 9 days right around 40lbs. I can send you my exact food list if you want to pm me but I never feel hungry. That said I only weigh 125 so I really try to keep weight down as it starts adding up quicky on my frame and the old “just loose 5-10lbs” doesn’t apply to me lol.
View attachment 722784View attachment 722783
Thanks for the reply. What time of year did you go? did you use your water filter? I heard no need for one. Bugs? We’re you happy with the Kutana pants over say attacks? Only 1 pair ea socks and underwear?