Harper Mountain sheep for Harper continued

chucko

FNG
Wow what a couple of days of awesome hunting great partners but we awake on day 3 to rain and fog luckily Will puts out a tarp for water and Harper gets to comb out the dreadlocks. IMG_20220825_092553.jpgIt is a good rest day but finally by evening time the clouds lift enough for a evening glassing session, Naturally Will looks 4-5 miles away and across 2 valleys and sees sheep on the last ridge he can see. I am now seriously considering getting Will a new spotting scope maybe something in a 1x with a 2x max zoom. Anyways we formulate a plan which will put us within striking distance. Day 4 Hike camp move day. It takes all day of gnarly climbing and side hilling loose rocks and boulders to finally reach a really uncomfortable rock strewn semi flat spot but at least we are looking at ewes and lambs directly below the tent IMG_1870.JPG. It is too late for much glassing but we figure by tomorrow we can be within striking distance of where Will saw the sheep from the day before so a plan is already being formulated which will begin in a 1200ft descent then a mile or so hike up a valley to hopefully find a route up the peak where the sheep were last seen. Day 5- It is decided to leave camp where it is at and go ahead and maybe scout/hunt our way to where we might find a route up the peak where the sheep were last seen. Will is already coming with a plan which will put us over the peak and looking into the valley off the backside. Harper and I begin our descent while dad takes care of some personal things, while waiting for dad Harper and I share a bag of skittles and look for a good way down the mountain and into the valley . Everything goes good we find a nice route down and walking up the valley is quite pleasant Harper as usual wants to know the name and age of every plant and animal sign we see which is super cool to see that she is so interested in the world around us. We finally climb over the crest to where we can see down into the next valley Will is looking up at the peak to find a route then I look down into the valley and immediately spot 6 rams 1 of which is a true whopper . Even from over 3/4 a mile away I can tell he is really good thru my binoculars. Harper and I belly crawl forward to try and find a way to the sheep while Will sets up his spotting scope to get a really good look . The only route we have is a long sidehill through steep rocks and boulders . All 3 of us proceed very carefully Harper bounces thru virtually unscathed with only 1 small tear nothing a handful of skittles and a hug will not cure .Finally we close the distance to roughly 285 yds a long shot but no other alternative exists . I get Harper setup on the tripod and start talking her thru the shot . Her nervousness is kicking in and she tells me she does not want to shoot . Myself and Dad talk to her for a little bit and she decides it is time to shoot. BAM the ram drops at the shot then rises and starts heading for some ugly stuff Will shoots and the ram stumbles again I chamber another round again for Harper she shoots RAM DOWN .IMG_1871.JPG The emotions coming over me are building tough so I decide to go back for packs and hopefully find a better route. It takes me a little over a hour or so to return and Oh my god upon returning what a beautiful ram . Dad and Harper are beaming I give Harper and Dad a hug and of course Will and I both tear up . Many pictures and hugs later we begin the butcher process . The only route I find to avoid side hilling involves dropping to the valley floor and climbing back out .We make it back to a meat drop point at about 9pm with fog and rain setting in . TO BE CONTIUED

Attachments

• IMG_1859.JPG
    IMG_1859.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220822_110908.jpg
    IMG_20220822_110908.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 41