Non-toxic pheasant whacking experience

Steel sux.
Going straight Bismuth this year for waterfowl.
If I ever get after pheasant thats what I'll use.
(If I cant use lead).

Last edited:

The Guide

WKR
@KurtR @Spoonbill @PredatoronthePrairie you guys are using the 100% steel?
I use these in #4 in the 20 GA and #3 in the 12 GA. Shot a few whitetails in the head with the 12 GA when we jump them close range in the river bottoms.

Jay

200 rounds for $279 plus a high probability of Rebate.

I hate to post the Ad before I snag my ammo...but...during my heyday as a Waterfowler (pre Covid) I was a fan of buying cases of Steel each season. I did walk into a decent Boss buy in 3" 3/5 blend a few years ago.

After getting sideways with a Federal Trout Trooper on a Federal refuge it's not worth the headache for upland w lead vs getting close to the water and needing non tox. I'd prefer to just run 100% non tox today.

Am I missing something with this Kent deal? I could slum #5 in a 2 3/4" for this price. I realize it's only 1oz, but I am a 12g guy with no Bougie Bores.

Last edited:

200 rounds for $279 plus a high probability of Rebate.

I hate to post the Ad before I snag my ammo...but...during my heyday as a Waterfowler (pre Covid) I was a fan of buying cases of Steel each season. I did walk into a decent Boss buy in 3" 3/5 blend a few years ago.

After getting sideways with a Federal Trout Trooper on a Federal refuge it's not worth the headache for upland w lead vs getting close to the water and needing non tox. I'd prefer to just run 100% non tox today.

Am I missing something with this Kent deal? I could slum #5 in a 2 3/4" for this price. I realize it's only 1oz, but I am a 12g guy with no Bougie Bores.
I ordered some, thanks for the heads up... almost can't buy lead for that after the rebate!

You assuming you're qualified for the $100? That's how I read it. And as you said...that's like too good to be true???
It looks like the rebate is $5 per box up to 20 boxes... I only purchased a case, so should be in line for $40 rebate. I started the process but need a UPC image from the product and that will have to wait until Rogers ships. I also got a $15 code for first purchase and free shipping.

edit: My math sucked earlier... I think it will only be a $40 rebate on a case.

Last edited:
I have learned some upland public land requires non-toxic shot, the main bird is wild pheasants.

My brown dog will be a year in Nov and the priority is to get her quality contact and retrieves. I don't have any desire to shoot a bird she doesn't flush, I also don't expect a wild rooster to let her get a few yards away.

Because the goal is setting her up for success, I am a-ok spending for "best" over value. I have some federal Bismuth #4 in my cart, but was hoping to get experiences and opinions before buying. Federal, Kent, Hevi are preferred. I see all bismuth, small steel, all tungsten, blends of steel/tungsten, and blends of steel/bismuth.

I shoot 20ga, and just want to kill what I hit. I have a range of chokes from Carlson and Jeb.

I read:

These pheasants were taken with #6 Hevi-Bismuth

Attachments

• IMG_0288.jpeg
    IMG_0288.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 17

chemist

FNG
I hunt upland in mostly nontoxic areas. I have shot pheasants with #4, and #6 bismuth and #2-#6 steel. On a true crossing shot inside 25 yards any of the above are adequate. On a straight away shot or further out shot which you will probably have with a flushing dog you want larger shot.

In my 20 gauge I shoot 1.125 oz of #4 bismuth when targeting pheasants.

Macintosh

WKR
Bismuth is only slightly less dense than lead, only slightly more so than steel. It goes like this, TO SCALE:
0……..steel..bismuth..lead…….tungsten
Steel is 7.9 g/cm3
Bismuth 9.8 g/cm3
Lead 11.3 g/cm3
Tungsten 19.3 g/cm3

I always shot feral (ie wildish but not truly wild) pheasants with #6 lead and killed them fine, but mostly in pretty heavy cover so shots normally pretty close. Lots of guys in the midwest will swear you need 5’s or even 4’s, even in lead. On the other hand tons of
people shoot preserve pheasants with lead 71/2 or 8 wally-world target loads and dont get cripples or runners. A dog trainer friend shoots literally hundreds and hundreds of pen raised pheasants (that fly well) with a skeet-choked 28ga shooting 3/4oz of #8 lead, and having spent plenty of time there they die just fine. It seems hard to generalize about what it takes to kill a pheasant. With folks advocating for #6 and #5 bismuth (only halfway between steel and lead) I have to think some of this is the of marketing of bismuth as a miracle killer magically overcoming magnum-itis.
To me wild pheasants seem awfully similar to puddle ducks, ie whatever works on your average duck is going to work just fine on a pheasant and probably not worth splitting hairs past that point (assuming legal shot material obviously). The duck may be a little bigger but is likely facing you, the pheasant may be a little smaller but you’re often shooting them in the ass.

Last edited:
OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

"DADDY"
pheasant may be a little smaller but you’re often shooting them in the ass.
So they are like a CO archery/muzzleloader elk then?

I'd have bought steel, but the hardness of it and eating the whole bird didn't seem like a winner for me. I ended up buying 5s, 4s, and 3s, because it seems I can cover "all" the waterfowl somewhere in there as well. My guess is the best killer of anything that comes out of a shotgun is going to be the best patterning combo of how bore diameter marries up to the choke type design and diameter with some sort of balance in velocity of shot (column) density and velocity. Probably in a year when I acquire enough different boxes I might randomly buy, I'll pattern everything and see what my equipment says to shoot.