Non resident OTC archery elk is over in Colorado

CoMulies

FNG
well, if it's federal lands then every tax paying hunter should have equal opportunity for hunting that land. no different than anything else that is federal property. why should it be different if you live here or there? equal taxation and equal representation. sounds pretty simple to me and what would be the argument otherwise? well, there isn't any.

Because you’re hunting the states wildlife... Wildlife is held in trust by the state for the benefit of its residents. Your argument has been rejected countless times by courts.

Archer86

WKR
Its almost guaranteed to be the case that you'll be able to draw any of the OTC units you were hunting with 0 preference points. You'll just need to get in on the application process during the month of May.
5 to 6 years ago you could get a wyoming general tag with very few points fairly easy look at it now colorado archery draw unit that where previously otc will take points after the first year.

fatlander

WKR
This may end up being a good thing for Colorado archery elk hunting. Forcing everyone to draw should eliminate the “well I didn’t draw LE, so I’ll get an OTC archery tag.” If you want to archery hunt, you’re going to nuke those points.

Rifle is going to be a pumpkin patch. I couldn’t imagine driving across the country, spending a couple grand at a minimum, and seeing hundreds of your closest friends posted up like the first day of deer season out east. Elk taste good, but they’re not that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
5 to 6 years ago you could get a wyoming general tag with very few points fairly easy look at it now colorado archery draw unit that where previously otc will take points after the first year.

The Southwest units converted from OTC to draw 3-4 years ago and, as far as I know, they remain 100% (or very close to 100%) draw on a first choice.

Archer86

WKR
The Southwest units converted from OTC to draw 3-4 years ago and, as far as I know, they remain 100% (or very close to 100%) draw on a first choice.
what's the likely hood that remains now that there is zero otc for archery in colorado?

You used to be able to buy a idaho elk tag also into September look how fast that changed.

Hnthrdr

WKR
what's the likely hood that remains now that there is zero otc for archery in colorado?

You used to be able to buy an idaho elk tag also into September look how fast that changed.
I’d thank all the social media bro’s for this… they will promote themselves out of opportunities, real quick. Cat is out of the bag. No more secrets anymore these days

Hnthrdr

WKR
Colorado's issues are not NR hunters. Colorado's issues are coming from all the dope smoking transplants who moved there and who are now voting for wolves, lion hunting bans and Non-traditional politicians.
Also true, but also overcrowding is an issue. With those idiots that moved here so did a lot of people, ie some are hunters, so we simultaneously gained an increase in resident hunters while also getting a increase in NR hunter (bow hunting) couple that with a major increase in all outdoor uses and the backcountry doesn’t seem very remote anymore

Poser

WKR

You used to be able to buy a idaho elk tag also into September look how fast that changed.
I don't know. its going to depend somewhat on how applications spread out across various units that were formerly OTC. Currently, the tag allocations for recently converted OTC units are extremely generous, so I expect it would require CPW to start reducing those allocations or archery elk hunting in Colorado to experience another surge in demand. It is possible that there is another surge because of OTC going away, there is FOMO. That FOMO surge would have to offset the people who drop out because they don't want to apply and who are claiming they will boycott.

I anticipate it will be business as usual with a few people dropping out, a few people coming in expecting former OTC units to suddenly be higher quality experiences and hunting pressure to be perceived about exactly the same by the average hunter with many claiming there are hunters everywhere and few reporting they hunted 9 days without seeing anyone else, lots of complaining about wolves, hikers, mtn bikers not paying their share, road hunters with a few "sheeple" and "libtards" thrown around, a bit of complaint about taxpayers not being able to hunt federal land at will, a few complaints about abortions and then some "we need to stick together" which really means "you need to hold the same exact beliefs as me or you are my enemy" and then we are right back to wolves, sheeple, libtards, abortion and, oh, I forgot border security as an apparent culprit for a negative Colorado elk hunting experience as well.

Like I said, business as usual.

Jethro

WKR
Very likely, actually. Some actual NR quota cuts have been discussed but nothing firm. The only past history we have to base opinions on suggests that there will continue to be plenty of opportunity for a NR to archery hunt elk in CO if they choose to.

Paeast

FNG
Around 2019 colorado sold about 38,000 otc nr and resident archery elk licenses. That number has been in decline the past few years. A quick search in 4 otc units turned up about 2,000,000 acres of public land. In contrast PA sold 337,000 resident archery licenses last year and about 20,000 nr licenses for 4 million acres of public land. Where is the comparision?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Animal density and good habitat is way way less than what you think it is coming from back east where you can have a bunch of deer that live in 5-20 acres, out here it’s often animals per square mile. Not an apples to apples comparison like some think.

Reality is often more than a few guys in 1 giant 1000 acre basin and it can be too many hunters/ over crowded.

Paeast

FNG
Animal density and good habitat is way way less than what you think it is coming from back east where you can have a bunch of deer that live in 5-20 acres, out here it’s often animals per square mile. Not an apples to apples comparison like some think.

Reality is often more than a few guys in 1 giant 1000 acre basin and it can be too many hunters/ over crowded.
Great points. We have the same issues. For example, i have a 600 acre public land spot i hunt that is 80% covered in briars a rabbit couldnt get through and 15 trucks in the parking lot. I see your point though. I didnt see it from that angle.

Around 2019 colorado sold about 38,000 otc nr and resident archery elk licenses. That number has been in decline the past few years. A quick search in 4 otc units turned up about 2,000,000 acres of public land. In contrast PA sold 337,000 resident archery licenses last year and about 20,000 nr licenses for 4 million acres of public land. Where is the comparision?
337,000 + 20,000 = 357,000 licenses sold

20,000 / 357,000 = 0.056022049 = 5.6% NR licenses

2023 CO OTC Archery 27,000 licenses sold
14,310 NR 53%
12,690 RES 47%

It's one thing to have the resident crowding. Completely different to have NR crowding the residents home turf.