Nissan Xterra

woods89

WKR
I owned a 04 4runner for a few months last summer/fall as a hunting/camping vehicle. It spoiled me not having to take my work truck hunting! Then I hit a patch of ice in CO and wrecked it in November.
Currently a local lot has a 2012 Xterra. It's an S model with 140,000. I think I'm going to go drive it tomorrow. I'd love another 4runner but they are not cheap!
Any of you have one for an outdoors vehicle? How has it worked? Anything I need to know?

cjdewese

WKR
The only experience I have had with an X-Terra was a 2007 that my brother bought new. They sold it at 47K because of issues he was already having with the engine.

I have heard people having good luck with them as well so who knows. Interested to hear what others have to say as well. I always thought they were cool, but after that I couldn't feel good about buying one.

I am spoiled and own a 2017 4Runner.

180ls1

WKR
I would strongly consider the Lexus GX, either a 460 or 470. I love mine and found them a far better deal then the 4runner when you look at all you get with it.

Bisley45

Lil-Rokslider
The only issue I'm aware of is the SMOD (strawberry milkshake of death). On pre 08 models the oil cooler allowed the transmission/coolant to mix...no Bueno. That was only on automatics and 08 and newer had a revised part.

I had an 08 and LOVED that little rig. It was like a more comfortably jeep tj. Great offroad and in the snow.

grfox92

WKR
I owned a 04 4runner for a few months last summer/fall as a hunting/camping vehicle. It spoiled me not having to take my work truck hunting! Then I hit a patch of ice in CO and wrecked it in November.
Currently a local lot has a 2012 Xterra. It's an S model with 140,000. I think I'm going to go drive it tomorrow. I'd love another 4runner but they are not cheap!
Any of you have one for an outdoors vehicle? How has it worked? Anything I need to know?
I lived my whole life under the impression that Nissan and Toyota were of similar dependability.

Then I joined Rokslide and according to many on here, Nissan are shit and Toyotas are the only reliable vehicle.

I've never heard of chronic issues with Nissan and have seen 5.6 V8s with 350k miles that don't leak a drop of fluid.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I had a 2010 Off-Road edition. With quality aggressive tires, i took that thing in 2WD on some roads I'd hesitate to take my silverado on now in 4WD. Had only normal maintenance issues and gave it to a family member 4 years ago with 150K miles and he still has it and its running strong.

I currently have a 2015 Pro-4X Nissan Xterra and got it at 30K miles. I'm now around 155K and it's taken everything I've thrown at it. It's great off-road. If I didn't already have one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2nd gen Xterra or Frontier (post-SMOD). They are both reliable as hell. Hopefully the new Frontier is like that too.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Thanks, guys! The SMOD issue was fixed pre 2012, I believe. He's a little high on his price, but I'll see how it drives and go from there.

Graves14

WKR
I'm at 255,000 miles on a 2010 Off-Road (Bought it with 45k on it). I daily drive it and use it to access some rough areas of Idaho. It's been incredibly solid for what I've put it through. I did have to replace the leaf springs and coils in the last couple years. I also put a new radiator and water pump in it proactively before a long summer road trip towing a trailer. All of this was done in a driveway. Other than that, oil and tires that's all I've had to replace on this rig.

When something big goes, I'll likely try to find a 2014-2015 Pro 4x to replace it.

My FIL has had one for a couple of decades and I haven’t heard of any issues with his. He has driven it all over Colorado, Montana, Utah and Idaho. I think his is pretty much stock, just updated tires. I can always ask him for info if you’d like.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Had ‘06 for about 8 years never had any problems. Only thing I didn’t like is the ride. It’d bottom out quickly. Especially if you had more than 3 people. If you hit a pothole slam pretty hard. But never had any mechanical issues.

Also on first start up there was a tick, tick or pinging until you got going. Once oil circulated it went away. Never knew of it causing problems.

You can google this stuff, pretty common knowledge.

Id be concerned about the transmissions. I just helped a buddy rebuild his frontier transmission. What a pain…

wesfromky

WKR
I had a 2000 (first year) and a 2008. Both were great, 2008 had to replace the timing belt. Bought a 2023 frontier because they built the xterras on a frontier frame, engine, etc. I really wish they would have released an updated xterra though.

Last edited:
We have never had any issues ever with the wife's 2008 Xterra Off-Road with a 4.0 l V-6 (New style, not what the OP is looking at). Only 92,000 miles though. Just normal maintenance with tires, filters and oil changes plus wipers, etc. Unit still drives like new. Was 4-wheeled around Leadville, CO in the high country when new and some around BC for the past 15 years. Good off-road. Steering is a tad quick on the highway if you like to look around, haha.

That said about no issues.....we proactively replaced the transmission cooler/radiator unit maybe 6 or 7 years ago as the 2008 was still vulnerable to the "pink milk shake" potential issue. Cost was about $1200 at our Canadian dealership.

wmr89

WKR
I have 2005 xterra. Bought it in 2017 with 130k miles and it is at 220k now. Worst repair was replacing the catalytic converter, other that it has been minor maintenance. It has been great in the mountains for me! I would buy another one if I had the chance