New (used) hunting rig

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
The v8 model has an electronic shift transfer case, where the actuator goes into the transfer case there is a seal that leaks. To replace it is a 2k job, toyota changed the design in 06 I think which solved the problem .mine was an 04 limited, just topped off the tcase every couple of months and kept a drip pan under it.
It did have a transfer case leak. The dealer had it fixed but I know it wasn't a 2k repair, so he must have done a more minor fix. That's good info, and I will keep a close eye on the fluid level for a few months and try to get a sense of where that's at.

I appreciate all the discussion!

Weldor

WKR
I run 10 ply E's on my JKU ,aired down to 32 psi. Ride is good. I bought a 2008 Hummer H3, It has load range F on it . Rides like a brick. They are Continetals. I've driven 1 ton or 3/4 ton my whole life, got to admit I've never seen a load range F tire. Plenty of E's though. The SUV craze is making prices jump, but I've found if you can wrench alittle the older models are better priced sometimes.

Dtmwtp

FNG
So, having taken stock a bit over the last few days, here are a few things I'm thinking of doing in the next 6 months or so. Any input anyone had would be great.

-I plan to have the shop that's doing my timing belt/water pump give it a general inspection. Mechanical issues will get priority over mods.

-Headlights aren't awful, but pretty cloudy. Probably going to need at least new bulbs.

-I'd like to switch all interior lights to LED.

-It has a cigarette lighter socket in the cargo area, and I'd like to see if I can find an LED strip or two that plug into that, as it seems like my hunting vehicles get loaded/unloaded in the dark alot.

-Rubber mat for the cargo area. Also saw where someone had stretched an atv cargo net under the headliner to stuff things in.

-Perhaps most importantly, it's going to need tires in 10,000-15,000 miles, and I wonder if I take it to CO in November if it should just have some new shoes pre trip. Any recommendations? I've driven 3/4 ton trucks for the last number of years and don't really consider anything but 10 ply for them, but this rig is probably lighter. I don't anticipate hard core off roading, but probably lots of gravel roads.

Any advice or comments are welcome. So far in life I've pretty much used work trucks for hunting, so this is a new chapter.
5 yrs ago I bought a 04 t4r SE v6 4x4 with 240k miles. I put LT Toyo 265/75/17 tires on it. 55k miles later, great ride, handle and wear. Rides as good or better than my 18 gmc Serra (now also toyo tires, but not LT). I do only run 40-44 psig in them.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
A little update with an interesting lesson for me.

When I bought this rig, the dealer did not have the title. The previous owner had lost it, and applied for a new one, which was in process and due back within a week or two. When the sale hit MO's system, it rejected her title application. That burned a few weeks, until she realized what had happened, and reapplied. Then the state erroneously sent the new title to a previous lienholder, who mailed it back to the state. Long story short, my temp tag ran out 30 days post sale, and this rig had to sit for about a month and a half until I got a title and could get it tagged.

In fairness, the dealer (small town used car lot) did a decent job of communicating with me through this all, and did the best they could to get it resolved. I should have known better, though, and will be more than a little cautious about title issues in the future.

That said, all well that ends well, and the rig is great! So far on the mechanical side, I've had the water pump, timing belt, thermostat, serpentine belt, sway bar ends, high beam bulbs, and blower motor replaced. I feel like it's baselined fairly well at this point. It runs and drives great. It does still have a small oil leak around the valve covers, but I'm just keeping an eye on oil levels, and it seems like no big deal. I'll probably have gaskets done next spring.

I've been setting it up for backcountry travel. Tire chains for the rear, a basic tool set, a recovery rope, etc.

I plan to leave for CO in a few weeks. Hopefully it doesn't let me down.....

Ive got an 05 tacoma these things run forever with basic maintenance it seems. Talking to some of my car guy friends it seems like they will rust out before anything else.

That being said I applied some fluid film to the bottom/frame to help prevent rust. Could be something worth looking into!

Recently bought a 04 4Runner myself. Mines an sr5 with the v6. Only had it about a month so far but it seems super solid. 258k on it. A lot of them for sale around here have rust issues. I feel very lucky to have found the one I did.

JBubs

FNG
Congrats on a great rig! I currently have a 05 Sequoia, have had a 98 4Runner, and 96, 05, and 06 Tacoma all great trucks. Couple things that come to mind to look into, not sure if it is an issue on that generation of 4Runner, transmission fluid and coolant mixing (pink milkshake), lower ball joints seem to be a weak point, and the real latch on the 1st Gen sequoia is garbage and is a yearly replacement unless you modify it.

Ive got an 05 tacoma these things run forever with basic maintenance it seems. Talking to some of my car guy friends it seems like they will rust out before anything else.

That being said I applied some fluid film to the bottom/frame to help prevent rust. Could be something worth looking into!
That fluid film is a great protector, but it sure collects a lot of grime. Trying to put sliders on mine and now I have to clean off at the attachment points lol

Great rust prevention though, especially if you live in an area that salts heavy.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
20231117_070628.jpg

Well........shucks.......

4:15 this morning, 43 degrees, headed up to hike in for the last day of 3rd season, hit a patch that's always shaded at 30-40 mph, it was icy, and we wound up upside down. I was really learning to like it.......

We are both fine, though, and so it's hard to not be really thankful it turned out the way it did.

View attachment 628418

Well........shucks.......

4:15 this morning, 43 degrees, headed up to hike in for the last day of 3rd season, hit a patch that's always shaded at 30-40 mph, it was icy, and we wound up upside down. I was really learning to like it.......

We are both fine, though, and so it's hard to not be really thankful it turned out the way it did.
Holy shit. Glad you're okay!

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I didn't have collision insurance on it. It's at a towing yard in Ft Collins right now. Any tips on what to do to get it disposed off?
It's a bit of a rough situation 1000 mi from home.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
I traded a tow bill for the title a while back. Mine went over a lot more times then that though:ROFLMAO:

Have any pics of it back on the wheels?

20231117_083850.jpg20231117_083933.jpg

It's not too badly damaged, but most panels have some damage, and it's almost 20 years old. I sold it to Yoda Jim's in Denver. It covers my recovery bill.
The logistics of getting it back to Missouri were just not worth it.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
It doesnt look all that bad. I woulda still ran the thing.

It would have needed some front end work. One wheel was twisted, tie rod or ball joint broke maybe. But yeah, it probably would have run fine after topping off fluids.
If it had happened locally, I'd probably just had it taken to my place and figured it out. The distance is kind of the deal breaker.