Nightforce choices

Macintosh

WKR
@NorCalBowHuntr916 If you’re like me, you wont find anywhere to check out most of them. Best I can suggest other than a plane ticket, is this thread has through-the scope photos of most of the reticles you are asking about so you can see what they look like at low power.

Reactions: WKR
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
For me the reticle was useable without illumination at around 6x in the ffp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Usable enough to aim and shoot or usable enough to make wind holds?

Macintosh

WKR
Arent at least some of the nightforce scopes made in japan now? I had understood the nxs, shv and nx8 were all made in japan now.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 2.5-20 and the 4-32. Both are excellent, and I have no issue with eye relief with either model. I also use ffp and sfp scopes. Both have their advantages, as I am sure you are aware of, but I will say that FFP are tough to use at low mag unless the illumination is turned on.

SDHNTR

WKR
Maybe somebody like @Formidilosus can chime in on if this really matters, but from my understanding, Japanese manufacturing is still extremely high quality.
Form will surely have a more informed response, but here’s my take. Japan manufacturing is a good place to start, generally their facilities and processes are better than most others in Asia, but just being made in Japan is not the be all and end all! Light Optical Works is out of Japan. They build to spec for many different manufacturers. Some spec out really durable and high quality stuff, and some spec out a lesser build quality. It’s the specs that matter much more so than Japan as the COO.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I dont really want Japanese made scopes. I have a few and I want either American or German.

Nightforce Mil-Specs are “Made in America”. You can find them at times. These vast, vast majority of scopes that work correctly and reliably are Japanese. Not all Japanese scopes are good, just that most of the scopes that are good, are Japanese.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I'm not knocking Japanese made scopes, I have a couple of the Japanese made zeiss v4's and they are great reliable scopes with good glass...I just wanted something different this time but now ill have to reconsider that since I'm pretty set on buying a nightforce because of their durability and reputation

SDHNTR

WKR
I'm not knocking Japanese made scopes, I have a couple of the Japanese made zeiss v4's and they are great reliable scopes with good glass...I just wanted something different this time but now ill have to reconsider that since I'm pretty set on buying a nightforce because of their durability and reputation
That’s a good example. A Japanese made Nightforce and a Japanese made Zeiss v4 both actually come out of the same factory. But one is spec’d to a totally different standard and is WAAAAYYY more durable! No comparison really.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Have you looked at the S&B Klassiks?