Nightforce choices

WKR

WKR
I think I've drank the nightforce kool aid and it'll be my next scope purchase.
I need help narrowing down the options though.
Right now its between the
4-16×50 ATACR sfp
2.5-20×50 NX8 sfp
4-36×50 NX8 ffp

I really like the Atacr and there wouldn't be any debate if it was a few ounces lighter but at 33 ounces im hesitant to put that on a fairly light mountain rifle for fears that it'll be unbalanced.
But as far as the reticle and zoom it is by far my favorite for hunting. most of my scopes are 4-16 sfp.

The 2.5-20 NX8 would be a good choice but im worried about eye relief problems with how short the mounting surface is behind the objective lens. its going on a split rail Bat vampire action. Also the 20x isn't ideal for me in a sfp scope I like 14x-18x for shot spotting.

That leaves the 4-36 Nx8 with a first focal, which I've never used or owned and think I prefer sfp for hunting purposes although I am open to it. I dont ever plan on using 36x in the field but would on the range. I just would hope that the subtensions are clearly visible in the 12x to 20x range and im not left trying to dial wind because I can't see the holds in the reticle.

BjornF16

WKR
I went from NX8 2.5-20x50 FFP MOAR to the 4-32x50 FFP MIL-R and don’t regret the change at all.

I never really had issues with eye box on 2.5-20, but found the low end reticle too small in FFP version.

Reactions: WKR
OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
Have you considered the baby ATACR? It (the 4-16x42 ATACR) is a few ounces lighter than the 50 mm version.
I would if it was a second focal plain but I don't think they make it

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I went from NX8 2.5-20x50 FFP MOAR to the 4-32x50 FFP MIL-R and don’t regret the change at all.

I never really had issues with eye box on 2.5-20, but found the low end reticle too small in FFP version.
What max range do you find yourself shooting at in the field? And when do the subtensions really become usable?

amassi

WKR
What max range do you find yourself shooting at in the field? And when do the subtensions really become usable?

The 4-32 subtends at 32x and 2x at 16power the subtensions are listed in both values

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would if it was a second focal plain but I don't think they make it

Gotcha. I assumed (incorrectly, it appears) that since the 4-32x50 FFP was on your list then a FFP ATACR might be considered as well. If you have an opportunity to check out a baby ATACR with the MIL-R reticle you may reconsider (but maybe not). Good luck with your decision. Nightforce makes good aiming devices.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
The 4-32 subtends at 32x and 2x at 16power the subtensions are listed in both values

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be for the sfp model.

I'm curious about the first focal, and at what magnification the reticle subtensions start to become visible and usable

I know at 4x you can't really see the hash marks but only a faint cross hair

I have the 4-32 NX8 and the NXS 5.5-22. I like them both for different reasons. If forced to keep and hunt/shoot with one the rest of my life it would be the NXS.

TxLite

WKR
No experience with the other NF you listed, but I have the NX8 4-32ffp c625 and it’s a great scope as far as ruggedness, tracking and reliability.

The things I dislike about it are the excessive weight/bulk and the tight eyebox. It’s a tank, but it’s also on a 300prc I built with intentions for longer range hunting and target shooting.

I’ve been considering a 2.5-10x42 NXS for my NF hunting needs.

BjornF16

WKR
I’m a recent convert to the NF (as well as Trijicon and SWFA).

I’ve been practicing with .223 and fixed 6x out to ~ 550 yards.

With the NX8, I find myself shooting at 6x-12x out to 1000 yards in order to spot impacts.

The advantage of FFP is hash marks are true at all magnifications.

wapitibob

WKR
I have the 4-32 nx8. I use it at 24x on the range and will probably hunt with it there as well but my rifle hunts are in open country in WY.

Reactions: Duh

Blaze2020

FNG
Gotcha. I assumed (incorrectly, it appears) that since the 4-32x50 FFP was on your list then a FFP ATACR might be considered as well. If you have an opportunity to check out a baby ATACR with the MIL-R reticle you may reconsider (but maybe not). Good luck with your decision. Nightforce makes good aiming devices.
Agreed, the baby ATACR is by far my favorite hunting scope. Worth a look.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
For those with FFPs in the NX8 and ATACRs, do you guys feel limited at low mag? Could you take a closer shot in cover if you needed too?