New Trucks....

Dos XX

WKR
I'm in the auto field. You would not believe how much cheaper trucks would be without government regs. That sensor probably helps shift at optimum revs so that it's as fuel efficient as it can possibly be.

We want to build rock solid trucks without miles of wires and hundreds of sensors, but fuel efficiency standards and safety standards make that impossible.
Like the auto off on my F150? Heavy duty starter, HD battery, HD alternator, HD fly wheel, and a button on the dash to turn it off? No telling how much all that HD crap costs, how much it costs just to transport the heavier parts, and we certainly won't mention the carbon footprint of all that crap. But hey, we hit a mileage number, how we did isn't important.

What kind of credit toward their CAFE did Ford get for that feature?

180ls1

WKR
Playing a bit of devils advocate here but sometimes a sensor will keep you from grenadeing the whole trans. Not having having one may lead to excessive slipping/overheating it until kingdom come.

Just watched a YouTube video on a new f150 XL trim truck, it was being billed as the last of the “simple” trucks. It still looked like it still had every lane assist and proximity sensor you could get on it, as well as proximity parking sensors so you knew if you could open your door.
The guy also said Ford was limiting how many 5.0 trucks they could order, as a result of the feds leaning on them about emissions and fuel economy.
I can’t even comprehend the direction and the trajectory things are headed anymore.

elkguide

WKR
Very good friend has worked for each of the big four dealerships and when I asked him which truck he would buy, he said, "I'd buy the one that had a color that matched your boat. They're all junk so at least look good while you're sitting buy the side of the road waiting for a tow truck!"

Jbehredt

WKR
Uh oh, talking bad about a Toyota on this website might be worse than starting a political thread!

I finally gave in a we bought a Tahoe last year. I wanted to avoid all the pointless sensors that I don’t need. This winter a part that relays blind spot sensors went bad. It shut down the whole vehicle’s electronics. Couldn’t even shut it off without disconnecting the battery. Then I had to pay $2K to replace the left sensor hoping that’s the issue because the right sensor feeds through the left sensor and there’s no telling which one is bad, so we just guess and if we replace the left sensor and that’s not the issue, then need to pay another $1K to replace the right too. So incredibly stupid. I don’t remember which brand it was that recently put out a commercial and in it had the main screen of the vehicle with a “updating software” banner. Maybe I’m old and crazy, but nothing has scared me away from buying a vehicle more than seeing it requires software updates in order to function…..
Turd gen is a Toyota in name only. Toyota fan bois (like myself) don’t approve of or defend them.

AZ8

WKR
Bought a 2023 Ram 2500 Tradesman last October. I didn't want or need all the fancy stuff and went with the lowest trim package. Been a great truck so far.

Not a lot of fancy options or electronics in this truck,(who the hell needs a 12 inch screen), but enough to make it a nice truck!

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
Playing a bit of devils advocate here but sometimes a sensor will keep you from grenadeing the whole trans. Not having having one may lead to excessive slipping/overheating it until kingdom come.
Then give me a warning saying I might grenade it. I as the driver will decide whether or not I follow it. The consequences would be on me.

I am planning to have the bodywork done on an '13 F150, to fix the rust. I will be money ahead of buying a new one and a few fewer electronic sensors. I'm going to start looking for and stock-piling old vehicles. I'd rather drive an '80s vehicle with their horrible electronics.

This is why I am sticking with my 2003 Tahoe. 344,000 on her now. I can fix most things myself. Still have the factory trans as well. If the engine ever quits, I will throw a 6.0 in her and keep on rocking

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Eventually the standard will be to just lease vehicles. No one will be buying them because the cost of repairs is too high. In leasing, if there’s a big repair, you just get a new car or the leasing company pays for it.

Heck most dealerships won’t even take cash offers anymore, and they darn sure won’t give you a deal for one.

It’ll be like a subscription plan, unfortunately.
You do realize that a leasing company makes money leasing too don't you? Every person's financial situation and driving needs/habits are different. Ultimately whether purchased or leased there's a monthly cost to any vehicle including repairs, maintenance and they're a depreciating asset.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you don’t have extra lighting, you can’t be considered a Toyota Fan Boi. I don’t make the rules.
I always have a flashlight in mine. (y)

The cam position sensor on my old '99 powerstroke will leave you just as stranded but it's only $25.
And 5-10 minutes to replace it. I always have an extra (original oem CPS) in the truck, but thankfully mine has never gone out yet.

Many people aren't old enough to remember the good old days of 10 miles a gallon and annual tune ups cleaning carbs , stuck chokes , clogged fuel filters ,leaky gaskets , am radios and no climate control. Not to mention rotted out exhaust systems on every single vehicle. Not to mention 12 month / 12k warranties.
Most vehicles where considered junk at 100k.

I grew up in a GM shop. No longer associated with the auto biz. Despite all the costs vehicles are much more reliable and require less maintenance and last longer than 40 years ago. If you have a problem its still a PIA but not near as much to do to keep vehicles going well beyond 100k.

Many people aren't old enough to remember the good old days of 10 miles a gallon and annual tune ups cleaning carbs , stuck chokes , clogged fuel filters ,leaky gaskets , am radios and no climate control. Not to mention rotted out exhaust systems on every single vehicle. Not to mention 12 month / 12k warranties.
Most vehicles where considered junk at 100k.

I grew up in a GM shop. No longer associated with the auto biz. Despite all the costs vehicles are much more reliable and require less maintenance and last longer than 40 years ago. If you have a problem its still a PIA but not near as much to do to keep vehicles going well beyond 100k.
I do.
I grew up in the Rust Belt.
Changing points and a rotor, expect to add 1 qt of oil every 6 weeks.
I much prefer modern cars.