Lemon law anybody use it?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Only guy wining there is the attorney
How so? Unless you meant to say “whining”?

I used a lemon law attorney for my nephew and it was not only FREE, he got us out of the vehicle free and clear, along with money for the hassle.
Most states lemon laws are very buyer friendly. The manufacturer was required to pay attorney fees.
Win-win.

Valsport

WKR

I used a lemon law attorney for my nephew and it was not only FREE, he got us out of the vehicle free and clear, along with money for the hassle.
Most states lemon laws are very buyer friendly. The manufacturer was required to pay attorney fees.
Win-win.
That'd be ideal. My experience in litigation is....litigious 🤣

OP
T

tony

WKR

Win-win.
Man, I'm hoping I can have it that easy.
I'd be thrilled to have it fixed right so I can unload it.

You really need to go to a different repair facility. If they repeatedly look at your truck, clear the codes, then shrug their shoulders they aren’t going to fix it.

have you been dealing with the same service advisor each time?

If so, maybe try getting in touch with the service manager. Explain what’s going on to him. Maybe one of the other service advisors has a tech working under him that is good at trouble shooting and electrical issues. Typically each service advisor has a group of techs that do their work.

Obviously your advisor can’t even begin to attempt to diagnose your vehicle.

If you have dealt with multiple service advisors, just go to a different dealership.

I have a buddy going through this as well on a 2019 ford ranger. He’s having transmission issues. I’ve even driven the truck and noticed it. He already had the valve body replaced. After some convincing, he finally talked to a lemon law attorney regarding getting it looked at and lemoned out. I don’t have any advice other than talk to an attorney but good luck. These rangers are junk though

I went through this process on my previous vehicle in Pennsylvania. Process was pretty much painless. Contacted a lemon law firm, gave them the information about my vehicle and the problem. They asked for me to send over all my records from when it went to the dealer for service. They said the attorney would review the case and decide if they would take me as a client. They only take cases they think they can win since there is no cost or risk from the consumer. Win, lose, no costs from me. They ended up settling with the manufacturer for full buyback, which included tax, fees, interest paid on loan. My experience was really good. Overall it took about 2-3 months from the time i started until I returned the vehicle.

Important thing with any new vehicle. Make sure if you have a problem with the vehicle, take it to the dealer and make sure they record everything on their end when they print the service receipt. Having detailed service records will make or break your case. Dont lose them. Save them in a safe place. In Pa, the first problem has to occur and be on record during the first year of ownership.

OP
T

tony

WKR
WV law I think said 3 trips during the warranty period or 1 time for a life safety issue.
First trip he scribbled on a piece of paper my issues. Second trip was an actual Ford service form. This time was just 2 sheets of codes they pulled. Last 2 are dated.

PA, the problem has to occur during the first year, that's rough.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Bad ground, either the box or body ground. And where the battery ground gos to the body .

I believe all the symptoms you describe warrants calling this a safety issue. Manufacturers take this seriously these days. They should have a customer care line you can contact. Find a better dealer, get a district manager and Field Engineer envolved....demand it to Ford, not the dealer. Document everything in this kind of situation too. Likely the first dealer could not duplicate concern even though they had history codes, and likely they don't have a good qualified tech to diagnose. Pretty common these days. Especially at smaller dealers. Good Luck.

Wolf88

FNG
Going to be long and I would appreciate some help.
2021 Ford Ranger 29,000 miles, bought off the lot new.

Since I bought the truck, cold weather, snow ice, the "pre collision" fault light would flash on the dash. Quick search should it was a common issue and I could see how that could happen so that's understandable.

About 3 weeks ago I stopped for gas and when I started it the pre collision and terrain management faults lit up. TM is sort of like 4wd auto pilot I guess you could say. Tried the TM button, sure enough nothing. 4wd worked fine, drove home got in it that night. all worked fine.
Over the next week TM and pre collision lit up on occasion. Heres the thing, the truck runs and drives fine. Go in for an oil change at the ford dealer and tell them whats going on. Make an appt. for this, and of course the lights are out. I'm there 2 hours and they can't find anything wrong, go figure. I leave and pull into Lowe's about 2 miles down the road. got my things and started the truck and hit the jackpot.
Pre collision, terrain management, steering, belt, hill assist, 911 voice system codes/ fault. I call teh dealer and said I am coming back I'm just up the road. Said pulled it in and leave it run. I do and the send the head mechanic out with his scanner. Clears the codes, drives it and they all come back on for him. Clears it again. Service advisor says well it could be the PCM, EC Something we don't know. "We just can't go replacing parts" What, I ask its under warranty. Well bring it back if it does it again. OK.
Day or 2 later I hit the slot machine of codes and the little orange wrench is flipping me off from the dash. I call, "can you have it here Wednesday" yep sure can. I drop it off, and they found a few codes and cleared them. Same shit as above, "cant just replace parts."
Heres the thing, I take pictures of the dash when it lights up and the cod/fault slot machine starts. I show them each time. I pick it up this Thursday of this week. I park it and I go to move it a few hours later for the GF to pull in the garage.

Man I hit the damn jack pot! all the above plus ABS and the brake light come on and it dies as soon as I put it in drive. I get it started and move it and call the dealer again. "Dude WTF!?" Really I am trying to be polite. Bring it back and leave it if you can. Sure can. I get it started, GF follows me, slot machine of bullshit is playing while I am driving to the dealer. Forgot to mention, steering gets real tight for a few minutes while all this is going on. Call the service desk and tell him this shit is flashing and codes flying while I'm driving. Said pull it in and leave it running. I said that was my plan you are going to look at this. Of course I'm shooting pics while driving. I get there and all teh mechanics are gone for the day. He sees the dash and I said sort of firm, "Look at my phone!" He scrolls through the pics and says "Well I guess we will have to call ford." Seriously, you have to call ford to fix the truck?

Calls me today, "Tony, a tech spent 8 hours on your truck, drove it 22 miles and no code fault lights came on. Said he was able to pull "old codes and bits of codes from the truck." Goes on to say something about the "main frame" and they just don't know." And just leaves it at that. So I ask what do I do when this happens again"

He says. "You probably should take it somewhere else for a second opinion." Are you ******* kidding me! I asked, are you refusing me any further service? "No Tony, you should just take it somewhere else for a 2nd opinion."
Cool, nearest other ford dealer is 30 miles away minimum.

So West Virginia lemon law says 3 times to fix or 1 life safety issue to be considered a lemon in WV. I've been 3 times in one week and got nothing as you can see. The steering, ABS, and brake light warnings, codes, faults seem to be a life safety issue.
I have only had one other brand new vehicle and it was a 1995 F150. And I had issues with it and started the lemon law process. Found a local attoreny and he litteraly made a phone call while I was sitting in his office. Said "can you be at the dealer on this date? I went and there were 3 for regional guys there and the truck was fixed that day.
Why does this have to be this way? I am under no illusion that the dealers and the makers don't give 2 shits about the guy or gal buying their cars.
I just want this thing fixed so I can unload it or bought back.

Listen, I can't thank anyone that can offer help or advice enough. This has actually given me a real damn headache all this bullshit.
I used to be in management at a dealership..
#1...it sucks but you need to try a different Ford garage.
There are factory stores that have high tech turnover and they might be in a situation without any enployees that have the experience to troubleshoot this issue. It happens.

Dealers love warranty problems as they can bill the mfg which means no money from you which means a happy you customer. I promise you they wish they could fix this and bill Ford.

Lemmon laws are not so simple. You will go through multiple steps and possible multiple meetings with a rep and or arbitrator.
How many miles you put on, depreciation, etc etc...

Perhaps it's a simple issue.
Look into the battery charging area. A loose connector...sporadically behaving alternator...

Test the battery. Test the alternator.

When you get every dashlight in the world lighting up often times...(most times) it's a bad faulty battery/charging system.

OP
T

tony

WKR
Codes and lights all weekend.
Truck runs fine though as I've said from the beginning. Steering is tight when I get the steering fault code.
Continue to take pictures each time they light up which is daily and can be multiples each day.
I'm working til Thursday, my plan is to call this dealer I've been using and speak with the service manager first, maybe the dealer manage as well. Then Ford, then a lawyer.
Taking it to another dealer is not so easy for me. GF and I work nights and different schedules. Nearest other ford dealer is maybe 30 miles, I will more than likely have to leave it there and find a ride home and then back.

WCB

WKR
Codes and lights all weekend.
Truck runs fine though as I've said from the beginning. Steering is tight when I get the steering fault code.
Continue to take pictures each time they light up which is daily and can be multiples each day.
I'm working til Thursday, my plan is to call this dealer I've been using and speak with the service manager first, maybe the dealer manage as well. Then Ford, then a lawyer.
Taking it to another dealer is not so easy for me. GF and I work nights and different schedules. Nearest other ford dealer is maybe 30 miles, I will more than likely have to leave it there and find a ride home and then back.
IMO before going to a lawyer just bring it to the other dealer. They should supply you with a courtesy vehicle. Maybe they will have it all fixed up and you will be on your way with a minor inconvenience. Otherwise you are going to have to set aside time for the attorney...plus be driving a potential dangerous vehicle or one that leaves you stranded with zero warning (even though it is giving you a warning right now) and a bigger inconvenience.

OP
T

tony

WKR
So, laying in bed around 2 this afternoon trying to wake up to go to work. My phone rings and I recognized the number.
Its the dealer/service manager.
Asked how things are going and I told him "not good" Codes, red dash lights, faults, and the wrench of doom since I last picked it.
He said, "we want to make this right, we will fix this right." Can you bring it in Friday? So its going in Friday again.
What made this guy call? Never had a dealer shop or any shop call and "check on things".
I did tell him my ford app has been lighting up with all the above last few days. Wonder if all this is linked together and he got a hit on it.
I am a member ranger 5g and maybe they cruise the ford forums. I have a 4 page thread going over their and have mentioned call ford and the lemon law. My problem is probably rare and my location is posted with my screen name.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, laying in bed around 2 this afternoon trying to wake up to go to work. My phone rings and I recognized the number.
Its the dealer/service manager.
Asked how things are going and I told him "not good" Codes, red dash lights, faults, and the wrench of doom since I last picked it.
He said, "we want to make this right, we will fix this right." Can you bring it in Friday? So its going in Friday again.
What made this guy call? Never had a dealer shop or any shop call and "check on things".
I did tell him my ford app has been lighting up with all the above last few days. Wonder if all this is linked together and he got a hit on it.
I am a member ranger 5g and maybe they cruise the ford forums. I have a 4 page thread going over their and have mentioned call ford and the lemon law. My problem is probably rare and my location is posted with my screen name.
Maybe the service manager is a WKR?

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
I believe all the symptoms you describe warrants calling this a safety issue. Manufacturers take this seriously these days. They should have a customer care line you can contact. Find a better dealer, get a district manager and Field Engineer envolved....demand it to Ford, not the dealer. Document everything in this kind of situation too. Likely the first dealer could not duplicate concern even though they had history codes, and likely they don't have a good qualified tech to diagnose. Pretty common these days. Especially at smaller dealers. Good Luck.

^^^This - and, my suggestion:
1. Call Ford directly and speak with a representative there. Have all your paperwork in front of you and be prepared to have a careful, thoughtful conversation. Document the reps name and date/time you spoke with them. Explain that you're planning to take to another dealer however, you have become very dissatisfied with your purchase and would hope that this second dealership can rectify the problem.
2. Schedule an appointment at this other dealer. Explain what has transpired thus far and bring along the paperwork and your pics/recordings on your phone. Also, let them know you have spoken with Ford and give them the reps name.
3. Ford has regional tech guys that are brought into dealerships to help troubleshoot unusual/tough problems. I bet the second dealer will have one of these guys there when you bring the truck in.
4. Don't lose your cool. Don't cuss or yell at these guys. Keep it level and help them with as much info as you can. I know it's going to cost you some time but diagnosing these newer cars/trucks (doesn't matter what brand you choose) is more complicated than before with all the electronics onboard. It's usually not just a water pump or an alternator or a voltage regulator. It's all computerized and some techs are just better than others at finding the problem.

From your descriptions I'd say that functionally, the truck runs and drives fine (except for the sometimes steering issue you mentioned) so I bet they can figure this out. My money is on a wiring issue causing intermittent faults. Best of luck.

OP
T

tony

WKR
Well, if floats, fly's or f*&$ks and I guess drives, its always cheaper to rent it!

I'm going Friday and dropping it off.
Like I told the service guy, I hate when someone tells me my job and I would never do that to them. I offered some suggestions that I have been reading since this started.
I never cuss and or yell as I know when dealing with these dudes, it will shut the whole thing down.
ABS yesterday and the brakes drug and were spongy for a few miles.
Airbag light is the newest reward to light up on the dashboard today!