New Trucks....

Many people aren't old enough to remember the good old days of 10 miles a gallon and annual tune ups cleaning carbs , stuck chokes , clogged fuel filters ,leaky gaskets , am radios and no climate control. Not to mention rotted out exhaust systems on every single vehicle. Not to mention 12 month / 12k warranties.
Most vehicles where considered junk at 100k.

I grew up in a GM shop. No longer associated with the auto biz. Despite all the costs vehicles are much more reliable and require less maintenance and last longer than 40 years ago. If you have a problem its still a PIA but not near as much to do to keep vehicles going well beyond 100k.
My Grandfather was a service manager at a small town Chevy dealership. I spent a lot of time there as youngster. He taught me how to set points and properly (his term) grease wheel bearings along with other things that kept old trucks on the road. Ole Merle claimed a truck oughta last 10 years, hell these days that barely gets you past the time its financed!

My Grandfather was a service manager at a small town Chevy dealership. I spent a lot of time there as youngster. He taught me how to set points and properly (his term) grease wheel bearings along with other things that kept old trucks on the road. Ole Merle claimed a truck oughta last 10 years, hell these days that barely gets you past the time its financed!
Before Dad move me into mgmt I worked the lube rack. The lube guy not only did oil , filter and lube but exhaust systems and undercoating and body sealing. Messy job. I can remember handing points to mechanics over the parts counter when I worked in the parts department.

I do.
I grew up in the Rust Belt.
Changing points and a rotor, expect to add 1 qt of oil every 6 weeks.
I much prefer modern cars.
Me as well. Northwest Ohio. Years later after being out of the biz for 15 years I took a job as a Parts and service director for our family Ford store 1992-2000. I cant recall ever writing a repair order for an exhaust system during that time.
The vehicles had changed that much. Different problems back then.