New truck?

*zap*

WKR
I am e-z on the pedal and my 09 f150 4.6 2 valve 2wd gets 17 around town and 19 hwy if I keep it under 70. Towing it drops down to 13 or so on the hwy.

2001 f250 4x4 5.4L got a full tank a few days ago (premium) and I will find out its around town mpg in a few weeks...I hear 15 combined....

Chevy cavalier 2002 base model coup gets 30 around town...36 hwy.

IDVortex

WKR
Compared to the Ram, the 1500 would be a much nicer ride, that's for certain. (Comfort over looks) Depending on the issue with the truck, id fix it, (I'd suggest delete it but that's illegal and I would never suggest doing anything opposite of what the crown says) and keep driving it. Especially if you're not buying the vehicle cash, the interest is trash now compared back in 17-19. I'd also would even challenge just getting a 3/4 ton gasser if you were set on wanting a new truck but still a fullsize.

Bama67

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you have to have new, a gas Ford 6.2 is the ticket.
They run forever and don't break. Rams 6.4 aren't nearly as reliable and the Ford has a bit more power. Try to find 4.30 gears if you can, hard to do though.
If you want new the 6.8 and 7.3 gas engines are beasts but haven't been out long enough to see if they are going to last like the 6.2

Regarding new trucks, fuel economy heavily depends on what mods you do to it as well.

I was driving a '21 F150 screw 4x4 with the 3.5, and over the life of the truck(at least as long as I had it) I was getting 21-24mpg hand calculated but it was bone stock save for AT tires. Once you start adding lifts, bumpers and other stuff your fuel economy will tank accordingly.

Whatever you do to delete it(if you go that route), make sure you can put it back to stock easily. If pulled over and discovered its at least a hefty fine, and can be as much as license revocation. If its reported to your insurance, your insurance can drop you. Also, its likely whoever did the work would be the only place that would repair it(or any other place that does deletes) as its a liability for them to do any repairs. I know the last shop I worked at wouldn't touch anything deleted at all.

Not trying to be a Nancy about the laws and stuff - I couldn't care less, but its information worth knowing before you take the plunge. Obviously the politics of the state you live in play a big role as well - I'm sure states like Idaho, Montana or most southern states probably don't give a rats about it.

OP
B

Blueman75

FNG
Well I live in Oregon….so I won’t be deleting the truck. As stated in my original post, I don’t need a new truck but kind of want one. I’ve had this truck for 9 years and it’s just time for something different. Not rich, but money for a new truck isn’t an issue. I’m going to try out the GMC 1500 at4 with the baby Duramax. If I don’t like it, I’ll go back to a 3/4 ton in a few years.

not trying to bash dodge but all my buddies who use it off road on any kind of gravel roads all have rusted out fenders on 7-10 year old trucks i personally stay away from them

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
The rusted out fender thing on dodge/ram always comes down to either not have fender liners installed or not properly washing out that area of your vehicle. So as long as your properly take care of that area of the vehicle and ensure it's washed or coated with CRC, it typically will not rust.

Rusted fenders I believe has a lot to do with geographical location also. Here in the upper mid-west brine salt is applied all winter in rediculous volume. There is no car that is over 3 years old, has driven through the winter, and does not have some kind of rust. The brine just seeps into every opening.

S few friends that I have that are very much into vehicles are saying to wait for 3-5 years for a new vehicle. All the companies were working on EV tech and are now dropping it, but have not put money into fossil fuel engines. Now that I am commuting for work, I am going to spend the money to fix my '13 F150 V8 and when needed pick up decent used cars.

I have a 2011 ram 2500 g56 (manual) only code it ever threw me was the EGR code. That fell off when I hit a pothole and it somehow drives so much better.

If you have a good tune and reader you should be able to self diagnose. Even if its injectors or head gasket that will be far cheaper than the over priced garbage out there.

I am fairly familiar with diesels. I tend to work on all my own stuff. PM me and I might be able to assist.

Rjk300

FNG
So I picked up my new 2024 GMC 1500 at4 with the baby Duramax. Was tough to say goodbye to my 2015 Ram 3500, but this new truck sure is nice. Took a trip to the coast and computer says I averaged 28.8 mpg.

Look into the Banks Idash Supergauge for 295$ I believe. Plugs into the diagnostic port can place it as a pillar mount or just a window cup to hold it but it will tell you info your truck dash won’t!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sniper20

FNG
After doing a bit more research, I’m leaning to the GMC 1500 at4 with the baby Duramax. Truck checks a lot of boxes for me.
I work at a Chevrolet dealership and sell fleet/person vehicles. I personally own the Chevrolet BabyMax (as it's been dubbed). Absolutely love it. I can tow as much as I want, fuel economy is great, and the DEF usage is pretty small. (I get about 5K-6K per 5 gal tank without towing)

If you have questions about them, feel free to reach out and I would be happy to answer them.

sniper20

FNG
Also in the delete camp. You have a great truck. Delete it and upgrade whatever else you need to on it to make it feel “new”. If it’s electronics you can get a huge aftermarket head unit, or even use an iPad. Top of the line speakers, leather seats, etc. You could make that truck feel “like new” for under $5-6k and have a paid off truck and lots more money to go hunting 😁

If you do go the new route, like everyone else says go gas (unless towing heavy). The emissions stuff has killed the usefulness of small diesels. The baby diesel should be pushing over 40mpg. Emissions kills it. It will take 10+ years for your fuel savings to pay for the premium you will pay for the diesel engine.
I'm all for deleting, but the state and federal governments are talking about going after the small guys now for EPA violations. (there are already states that due emissions testing, they don't fine you usually, but you can't register the vehicle in their state)

I agree, emissions is killing the modern engine. It's not just diesels either... Gas engines are having more and more crap put on them for the tree huggers.

I have a Chevrolet 1500 with the Duramax. I do get 40mpg (at 55mph on a flat highway in SD), and my average is right around 24-25mpg. (I drive for about 15 miles doing 70-80 mph and then in town driving for about 5 miles or so). I came from a gas 5.3L engine, and as long as fuel stays within $1/gal of each other, they break even. Right now, we are even on pricing, so the diesel is saving me a ton of money on fuel. And for the engine, it costs the same as the 5.3L, less than the 6.2L. You only pay the premium price when you jump up to a 3/4 or 1 ton, which add $10K to the pricing on those.

Weldor

WKR
Watch the youtube guys run the gassers in Colorado. They test Ford ,Chevy, Ram on grade with a trailer. Pretty interesting. Chose the winner?

If an 1.5T-2T boat is all you tow, then get a GM 1/2ton with the baby Duramax. You’ll thank me later.

Edit: sorry, my phone didn’t load well. Glad you got the baby max and saw the light! It really punches above its weight and has incredible fuel mileage. I’ll never buy another gas 1/2 ton unless it’s the only option.

Sea Rover

FNG
Great Truck choice, we have 2 a 2020 GMC that averages 29mpg. My lifted 2024 averages 25 mpg. No issues with either and love driving them. It’s my favorite truck that I’ve had and I have been through a bunch.

For the folks mentioning Toyota here, I can definitely back that up. The new Sequioa is a fantastic vehicle with more power than any competing vehicle and at better fuel economy.

270quest

WKR
I have a 2023 Silverado 1500 with the 3.0 Duramax. I have gotten as high as 29 mpg on a road trip and average 27ish. In town Im around 24 MPG. I tow a 8k travel trailer and it pulls it effortlessly. I can haul it around the Idaho mountains as fast as I safely need to. I have had it 15 months an 18k miles so time will tell if I run into issue, but so far its been great. I will say the interior is very refined and the ride quality is very good. I have had a Ford, Ram, and Tundra trucks - the Chevy is the smoothest riding of all.

I did have to put airbags on mine to keep level when towing - 1/2 tons all come with pretty soft rear ends - Chevy was extremely soft even though the door sticker shows 1800# payload.