New Ruger American Gen II

Dsellen14

FNG
You can swap that mag well out for the AICS mag well by calling Ruger and paying about $25+shipping

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Thanks. Yea I thought about that but one of the allures was being able to use same mags as AR. If I get the standard version of the ranch I would consider this as first upgrade.

I handled one the other day. Was pretty impressed in the feel and looks compared to the original version. Felt like a more quality made item. I'm hoping to get a ranch version in 450 here as soon as they become available.

Ajsomp

WKR
Classified Approved
Mocked this up - instead of getting the bigger cheek piece I’m going to snag a direct mount ring set up (thinking Talley) and should be set. Even with the long suppressor, it’s still shorter than a comparable 24” barreled rifle. I also snagged an mcarbo spring to lighten the trigger up a bit.

I’ve had lots of rugers at this point, and they’ve always fallen in the “ugly but shoot ridiculously well” category. While I’m not keen on the stock design itself - it’s functional. I’ve done some seated, kneeling and standing positional work and it hasn’t really bothered me at all. The bolt is much improved over the gen 1 - and while a little stiff out the box, adding some lube and working the bolt has made it much better.

I was going to snag one in 6.5, but might hold off until 6 creedmoor is available. We’ll see.

IMG_4916.jpeg

The ranch is an interesting option for just a truck gun, but the stock is a 100% no go, by the time you change that out, it’s not a cheap truck gun. You could put a vertical grip and adjustable cheek piece and probably chop the barrel on a tikka for the same price

The ranch is an interesting option for just a truck gun, but the stock is a 100% no go, by the time you change that out, it’s not a cheap truck gun. You could put a vertical grip and adjustable cheek piece and probably chop the barrel on a tikka for the same price
Ummm, I love my tikkas, but this is not correct if comparing apples to apples...

A ruger gen2 for $542 (price I've seen locally) and a stockys VG Carbon stock for $383 with the RS discount (when they come out... you'd be into a ruger for $926... and that would include a 16 inch barrel with a threaded muzzle (which would cost $160 for my gunsmith to cut/thread a tikka, which I've had done a number of times). But it would also include a fluted and cerakoted barrel, which to get a comparable look and weight you would be looking at the roughtech models in the tikka line... well over $926 before you cut the barrel or ditch the stock.

Best case on the tikka... find a stainless lite for $800 (the cheaper blued model is not a fair comparison to a cerakote ruger). Add $22 for a vertical grip, $160 for cut/thread... end up at $982... but then you still have a cheap plastic stock, where by comparison in this example the ruger would have a quality carbon fiber stock. (And lets be honest... the first thing i ditch on my tikka's is the cheap flimsy plastic stock) so the fair comparison is between a ruger and an upgraded stock with a tikka with an upgraded stock... which puts the tikka at $1365 and the ruger at $926... thats a pretty significant difference.

The main difference though if you ask me is, the caliber choices with the ruger are far superior to the tikka. If I want a 22ARC tikka... I'm hundreds of dollars more in new barrel and bolt mods for example.

As I said... I love my tikkas, but I hope tikka/sako and other brands take a lesson from ruger here to give us more caliber options, more useful features (ie shorter barrel length options, threaded muzzles, fluted barrels, cerekote, etc) at reasonable price points.

Ummm, I love my tikkas, but this is not correct if comparing apples to apples...

A ruger gen2 for $542 (price I've seen locally) and a stockys VG Carbon stock for $383 with the RS discount (when they come out... you'd be into a ruger for $926... and that would include a 16 inch barrel with a threaded muzzle (which would cost $160 for my gunsmith to cut/thread a tikka, which I've had done a number of times). But it would also include a fluted and cerakoted barrel, which to get a comparable look and weight you would be looking at the roughtech models in the tikka line... well over $926 before you cut the barrel or ditch the stock.

Best case on the tikka... find a stainless lite for $800 (the cheaper blued model is not a fair comparison to a cerakote ruger). Add $22 for a vertical grip, $160 for cut/thread... end up at $982... but then you still have a cheap plastic stock, where by comparison in this example the ruger would have a quality carbon fiber stock. (And lets be honest... the first thing i ditch on my tikka's is the cheap flimsy plastic stock) so the fair comparison is between a ruger and an upgraded stock with a tikka with an upgraded stock... which puts the tikka at $1365 and the ruger at $926... thats a pretty significant difference.

The main difference though if you ask me is, the caliber choices with the ruger are far superior to the tikka. If I want a 22ARC tikka... I'm hundreds of dollars more in new barrel and bolt mods for example.

As I said... I love my tikkas, but I hope tikka/sako and other brands take a lesson from ruger here to give us more caliber options, more useful features (ie shorter barrel length options, threaded muzzles, fluted barrels, cerekote, etc) at reasonable price points.
I get it, but I don’t care about fluting or cerakote, so for the price, I just wouldn’t get the RA G2, but the list of cartridges is cool, but that’s where the appeal starts and ends for me

For a very similar price, I could have a chopped stainless t3x with adjustable cheek piece and vertical grip. Fluted and cerakote doesn’t make it more appealing to me, I will likely never pay to have a cerakote job, or flute a factory barrel, so the value isn’t there for me

Don’t get me wrong, I think the new RA is going to be a big success for Ruger, but the factory stock takes it out of consideration for me, because it no longer is in the budget beater gun that shoots well, it’s just shy of a grand with a stock (at the cheapest)

Catchfish

WKR
I’m looking at possibly picking one of these up in 7mm-08 for my daughter, thought the brake would help her with recoil she is very small. Only a 243 currently sitting in the shelf in town.

grfox92

WKR
I’m looking at possibly picking one of these up in 7mm-08 for my daughter, thought the brake would help her with recoil she is very small. Only a 243 currently sitting in the shelf in town.
I would get her the .243 if your at all worried about recoil.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

I would get her the .243 if your at all worried about recoil.

I would go for the 6.5 Grendel or .22 ARC once they come out over either of those for a small framed child.

Catchfish

WKR
Thought about the 243 we have 6mm available so thought we would skip the 243. She has a caribou tag, moose tag and possibility of a black bear tags at her disposal this season.

coop2424

WKR
I picked up one of these for my kids in 7-08 since I wanted the option to shoot a bit heavier bullets if chasing elk. For what these are I have been throughly impressed I polished trigger engagement area and put a spring in it and has a clean break at 2.5lbs. This is shots 5–10 out of it with first load I worked up and I think load work is done.

Attachments

• IMG_3501.jpeg
    IMG_3501.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 34

grfox92

WKR
Thought about the 243 we have 6mm available so thought we would skip the 243. She has a caribou tag, moose tag and possibility of a black bear tags at her disposal this season.
In that case I would definelty do the 7mm08. I didn't realize you were in Alaska.

axeforce6

WKR
IMG_7921.jpegIMG_7922.jpegIMG_7924.jpeg

I picked up my 300blk this week. Got it home and started to put it together. Noticed the bolt looked off. Then I realized it was missing the extractor. Probably safe to assume that it wasn’t test fired before it left. So I put a light load sub through it and worked as it should have. Until it needed to pull the case which I didn’t expect it too. Took a cleaning rod and knocked it out. Took the rifle back to my lgs and they contacted ruger to see what they wanted to do. They are sending parts so hopefully I’ll get this thing out soon and get it dialed in.

View attachment 684719View attachment 684720View attachment 684721

I picked up my 300blk this week. Got it home and started to put it together. Noticed the bolt looked off. Then I realized it was missing the extractor. Probably safe to assume that it wasn’t test fired before it left. So I put a light load sub through it and worked as it should have. Until it needed to pull the case which I didn’t expect it too. Took a cleaning rod and knocked it out. Took the rifle back to my lgs and they contacted ruger to see what they wanted to do. They are sending parts so hopefully I’ll get this thing out soon and get it dialed in.

This post pretty much puts a fork in me ever buying a Gen II. I just bought a Howa 1500 mini barreled action in 6mm ARC. I was interested in a Gen II in 6 ARC but went the Brownells Howa action route.