New Ruger American Gen II

grfox92

WKR
Like "Tikka smooth"?
Yes. I doubt it will feed as smooth as a Tikka but a dry bolt off the shelf I was very impressed. The zipper sound of the gen1 was gone too.

I have a gen1 and have said many times I'll never buy another one, even though it shoots under an inch consistently. But after handling this one I might have changed my mind.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

For anyone who has picked one of these gen 2s up already, could you by chance pull the stock and get a picture of it on a scale? (Preferably in grams or ounces) I'm curious where the weight is coming in at (without mag). I'd also be curious what the barreled action is weighing in at, especially if you have it without the muzzlebrake or picatinny rail. (But a weight with the pic rail and brake installed is fine too).

Thanks in advance!

Yes. I doubt it will feed as smooth as a Tikka but a dry bolt off the shelf I was very impressed. The zipper sound of the gen1 was gone too.

I have a gen1 and have said many times I'll never buy another one, even though it shoots under an inch consistently. But after handling this one I might have changed my mind.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
I had similar thoughts as I felt one up the other day. Action felt way better than the gen 1. I dono about Tikka smooth but much more refined. Me personally I'd spend a little more to get a ss Tikka so I can swap stocks etc and threaded doesn't matter to me, but if my budget was $500ish and I was looking at patriots axis etc in that ball park then paying a little more to get this is a no-brainer. Most will be oblivious to the shortcomings with the stock too.

sneaky

"DADDY"
To clarify. The 223/5.56 AR mags do go into the ranch gen 1 and gen 2 5.56 rifles . I was a bit confused but when I got mine home it was clear they use the same mag well.
You can swap that mag well out for the AICS mag well by calling Ruger and paying about $25+shipping

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Carbon vg, I have a feeling the rokstok will not stoop to RA standards

Could be wrong
Why is that? They consistently shoot sub MOA from the factory. Same as the Tikkas. Tikka needs to get with the 21st century and start offering short, factory threaded barrels in faster twists. I can buy a new stock for my Gen II Ranch and still be money ahead on a Tikka, that won't shoot any more accurately than this one will. Ican buy a stock and a trigger, and still be in it for less money than a factory Tikka that's threaded. I like Tikkas, they're great rifles, but they are a tool just like these are. Just with a bigger clique following them.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Buzby

WKR
Carbon vg, I have a feeling the rokstok will not stoop to RA standards 😏

Could be wrong
Other than the awful stock, there’s not much wrong with the RA gen2 standard. Seems like they fixed the zipper bolt issue. The barrels/accuracy have been good-great on the previous gen. The bolt now locks on safe. The bolt and 3# trigger are quite serviceable. Like glass quality, I think people swoon over bolts and triggers too much. Yes, they’re better on a Tikka. Will it keep you from killing an animal?

I prefer Tikkas, but if we’re upgrading the stocks on both rifles, they’re not that far apart. Especially for someone trying to keep a budget.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this on hunttalk also, but mine showed up with a stock the shape of a boomerang.

Otherwise, it seemed like a decent rifle.

20240123_134403.jpg

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this on hunttalk also, but mine showed up with a stock the shape of a boomerang.

Otherwise, it seemed like a decent rifle.

View attachment 661890
HA d buddy that bought a CA rifle that looked like that. In their case, Ray Charles was working that day in the assembly department and the minimal (crappy) bedding job was crooked. They claimed it was user error and refused to address the issue and didn't want pictures. Told us we could sand out the one side of the barrel channel for clearance if we wanted.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
My gen1 came like that. I just slackened off the action bolts, moved the barrel until it was straight in the stock & retightened them. It's been perfect ever since.

I tried on this one with no luck. The lugs on this are V shaped so I couldn't really figure out any way to get adjustment.

Were they also V shaped on the Gen 1?