New "MOUNTAIN WARRIOR" pack from Kifaru

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I like the MW the best out of the 2, it is more of a hunting pack. It's tempting, but I find myself in the same dilemma as with the high camp. Where do I do put my spotter and tripod? If it had a built in billow pocket or short slot pocket on each side above the hip pouches webbing, it would be hard to pass up.

The front pocket on the MW was designed to fit a spotting scope up to a Swaro ATX 85mm. The tripod attaches to the side with the compression straps. Its actually a great setup and the way Aron and I have tested it and been running with it.

I agree, how many guys actually fall flat on their back which is the complaint I heard about. It seems that if I do fall it is forward or on my side.

I agree, how many guys actually fall flat on their back which is the complaint I heard about. It seems that if I do fall it is forward or on my side.

While packing out my Dall I had a slow motion fall while crossing slippery rocks and landed fully on my backside/lower part of the pack. The water was super cold and I had to roll part way to my side to get up quickly but it was too late and I was very wet. The two guys that I was with had a good laugh as they watched the entire thing because I was bringing up the rear. Everything was fine only my pride was hurt. :)

Rizzy

WKR
The front pocket on the MW was designed to fit a spotting scope up to a Swaro ATX 85mm. The tripod attaches to the side with the compression straps. Its actually a great setup and the way Aron and I have tested it and been running with it.

How did the load ride with the spotter that far away from your back though?
I used to use the compression straps for the tripod on the HC, it left a little to be desired sometimes. I felt like I would have to choose between using the compression straps to compress the load or to carry gear. It got tricky sometimes to keep it in place with a near empty pack.

How about a video on how best to load/ run with it. I feel like there is a better way to do things than what I am used too and been doing.

DIY

WKR
Just curious .... when the vertical pouch in the front is stuffed to the max and so is the pack. Does a bow strapped to the back of the pack fit nice with a grabbit?

Kotaman

WKR
My thoughts for this pack, would be to use the lid and 1000 ci pouch to carry my day items with the pack compressed. I think my Longhunter Lid and the 1000 ci pocket would easily handle those items. Not having to open up the pack on a hunt except to put an animal in it, would be advantageous to me. The thing that drives me NUTS about the EMR2, is undoing everything, everytime I want to get at something. If this isn't a practical way to use this pack, I'd stick with my T1. If so, sign me up..thoughts?

That's why I ordered the AMR. Those back pockets stay accessible and then you have a lid as well. I was over at kifaru last week and took a look at the AMR. It gets really flat the way the compression straps are set. But this pack is set up well too:)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
That's why I ordered the AMR. Those back pockets stay accessible and then you have a lid as well. I was over at kifaru last week and took a look at the AMR. It gets really flat the way the compression straps are set. But this pack is set up well too:)

Agreed! Even if this cu in were the same I'd like the AMR for the same reasons. The fact that its a couple thou cu in larger is just a bonus. I am glad to see they are making options for nearly everyone depending on their hunting styles on what pack layout they prefer. But there are always those that could have a bag customized for them and they'd still gripe ;)

Manosteel

WKR
As others have alluded to a customized kifaru bag would be awesome but I am sure very impractical to to make and sell to be timely and profitable. But with all the bag options they have now their is something for everyone and their style of hunting. I Have the T1 bag custom cut, and the HC7000 that I planned on modifying until this bag came out. For me the minimalist strapping with g-hooks on the HC work for me, if I could add a centre zip (better bag access) and some side pockets on the side of the bag for tripod, arrows etc..(ended up using my T1 bag this year again) I would have the bag that works for my style of hunting best.
First world problems:cool: lol At then end of it all, if nit picking bag outlay is your biggest problem with a pack you solved the real and more important problems with the pack (ride, comfort and durability under heavy load)

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It works fine with soft goods, but not so good if you have a spotter in the pocket.
Just curious .... when the vertical pouch in the front is stuffed to the max and so is the pack. Does a bow strapped to the back of the pack fit nice with a grabbit?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Manosteel;289750 First world problems:cool: lol At then end of it all said:
Very well said sir!!! Agree 100%. Funny how we all can get wrapped up on this and at the end of they day we just need something to carry our camp and meat home in and hopefully have it not be too uncomfortable.

Kotaman

WKR
Very well said sir!!! Agree 100%. Funny how we all can get wrapped up on this and at the end of they day we just need something to carry our camp and meat home in and hopefully have it not be too uncomfortable.

You're right, but Kifaru has SPOILED us with options. :cool:

Rizzy

WKR
I like that Kifaru nit picks their own design thoroughly before releasing it, it's what makes them so good and innovative. They have higher standards than most.

For me the back pocket would be great for layers and rain gear. The panel access would be good for getting at my food, possibles pouch, and water. Maybe this type of access would be a great way to carry my spotter inside the main compartment like I used to do with my HC. Having the 3 heaviest things (food, water, spotter) that I carry in, right there against my back in the "sweet spot" would be great. I like it the more and more I think about it :)

DIY

WKR
Would like to purchase this, just wondering if kifaru is coming out with something new in next month