New "MOUNTAIN WARRIOR" pack from Kifaru

colonel00

WKR
Yup, not a huge fan of them either. Perhaps if it was a strap I didn't need to loosen all that often then I could like them more.

trk3263

WKR
I understand what you're saying about the roll top lid, but we found that the "over the top strap" will take care of the debris problem as it holds the top closed. That's not saying that it will hold water out in a down poor, but if you roll the top up and then compress it, it does a pretty good job of closing thing off.

I don't have any side by side photos of the HC and MW, but the WM doesn't slope out like the HC.

I'll try and get some photos up, but I'm heading by to Oregon this weekend and may not get to it till after Christmas.

I didn't think about the top strap working like that so yes that solves what I was thinking. If your coming through Central Oregon I'll buy you a beer or a coffee.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Does anyone besides me find the auto locks annoying?

The clips are nice.

Yes I cant stand them. I hated them on MR packs in the past and will switch out any that come on my kifaru stuff. I just never really have an issue with normal buckles sliding very much so the aggravation of dealing with the auto buckle is just now worth it. They are extra chunky and clunky too.

colonel00

WKR
Yes I cant stand them. I hated them on MR packs in the past and will switch out any that come on my kifaru stuff. I just never really have an issue with normal buckles sliding very much so the aggravation of dealing with the auto buckle is just now worth it. They are extra chunky and clunky too.

I believe I saw that you just placed an order. I also believe that Aron or someone else with Kifaru said that you could choose between the types of buckles that you get on a pack. You might call them and see what they can do.

I got used to them, used to hate them. I moved mine to the top of my XTL lid. I found that when i tried to tighten the regular ones around something, sometimes the angle would cause them to not hold or slip. The auto loc ones never slip. That is the only place i like them. I have k clips or regular buckles everywhere else.

I will definately be getting some of the new clips to replace the k clips on the 6 horizontal straps for my nomad, they sometimes come off.

Joe

I believe I saw that you just placed an order. I also believe that Aron or someone else with Kifaru said that you could choose between the types of buckles that you get on a pack. You might call them and see what they can do.

I purchased my nomad awhile back... it came with standard buckles. My grab it II is the only think with autoloc buckles on it. I dont mind them on that part I guess.

colonel00

WKR
Gotcha. Yeah, that is where my autolock buckles came from now that you mention it. I think that is why I got annoyed the most as I would always have to loosen and tighten them on the Grabit II when I did just about anything with the pack. Plus, only having those two buckles being the autolocks, I would always forget they were there and try to loosen the buckles the normal way.

colonel00

WKR
It is on the left here in this photo. See how this side release buckle is different? There is a little cam there that you have to open with your thumb as it is spring loaded to grip the webbing.

DSC_2915_zpsbc14f7c4.jpg

trk3263

WKR
Call me stupid (i've been called a lot worse), but can somebody post up a picture of the autoloc buckle?

Your not stupid I was going to ask the same thing just figured I should check the rest of the forum first and haven't had time.

idig4au

WKR
It is on the left here in this photo. See how this side release buckle is different? There is a little cam there that you have to open with your thumb as it is spring loaded to grip the webbing.

DSC_2915_zpsbc14f7c4.jpg

Thanks, that is clear now. So tell me, why would I want an autoloc buckle as compared to the standard SR buckle or even K connector? What are the advantages of this buckle if any. Seems autoloc buckles would be difficult to operate if fingers were really cold.

Sorry to highjack this thread