New Howa Superlite rifle

J Batt

WKR
How long did they tell you it would take to check? You could be in for a long wait.

- Offended Weight Weenie
They said turn around is 60-180 days...
I'm an idiot and sold two other perfect rifles to afford this ultralight one. If I don't have a fixed rifle in my hands in 102 days I will be needing to borrow one.

They said turn around is 60-180 days...
I'm an idiot and sold two other perfect rifles to afford this ultralight one. If I don't have a fixed rifle in my hands in 102 days I will be needing to borrow one.
Good luck. It took about 120 days after receipt before anyone even took a look at mine, and a total of ~163 days from the day LSI received my Howa to the day I had it back in hand.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
This thread is somewhat confusing. I want to contribute but also point out not everyone here is discussing a superlite. Several are talking about a carbon stalker or mini action. Its not the same.

With the bolt but without picatinny rail I weighed 4lb 7.5oz.

The action is kind of rough feeling. I would never call it smooth. Its worlds away from a tikka or kimber in terms of feel.

The barrel is very thin. At the muzzle end at base of the threaded portion I measured 0.585” OD. Seems real slim for 30 caliber.

If you wanted to match a muzzle brake to barrel countour it may be limited options. Most slim designs start around .750. Maybe they can be turned down to .585.

The barrel touches the left side of the stock slightly. Not ideal but every winchester I bought in the last 20 years also fit about the same. I dont think its surprising for rifles in this price range.

I measured hole spacing for mounting rings. Spacing is not the same as numbers I found listed for the mini-action or short action. That should leave Talley or a picatinny as the options.

The butt pad fit isn't perfect. A little worse than I would expect but not bad. I’m sure if I picked at it and pulled I could get it loose. I dont think it will move under normal use. Looks like its glued and screwed.

Length of pull looks shorter than most but I didnt measure yet.

My opinion is youre paying for the weight savings. Go into it knowing thats what youre buying. For the same money you could buy a noticeably higher build quality “mountain rifle” but it will weigh 1.5lbs more.
Yes, this rifle is all about compromising fit and finish but ending up with a VERY light rifle for under $1k. The Anarchy titanium brake is slightly oversized but works well, is under $100 and is feather light.

I have the Alpine in 243 that my wife hunts with. We both really like it. Sub MOA with hand loads. I’ve been eying the new ultralight for a bit. How light is the barrel contour on these rifles? I think a re-bore to 358 would be an awesome little rifle for close timber work. Not sure if there’s enough material there to bore out though.

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Alpine in 243 that my wife hunts with. We both really like it. Sub MOA with hand loads. I’ve been eying the new ultralight for a bit. How light is the barrel contour on these rifles? I think a re-bore to 358 would be an awesome little rifle for close timber work. Not sure if there’s enough material there to bore out though.
I don't know if you could open up the Super Lite to .35--it's REALLY thin. That would be a stomper though, on both ends! The other option would be the Carbon Stalker, which has a standard sporter profile barrel and the carbon fiber stock. With the material taken out for a .35 bore, (and chop to 20" while you're at it) you'd probably be hovering at the same weight as a Super Lite.

FYI, Brownell's has the Super Lites on sale for $889 right now. I like the new stock colors that have been offered. I'm not a huge fan of the Kryptek, but it's all that was available when I ordered mine.

I don't know if you could open up the Super Lite to .35--it's REALLY thin. That would be a stomper though, on both ends! The other option would be the Carbon Stalker, which has a standard sporter profile barrel and the carbon fiber stock. With the material taken out for a .35 bore, (and chop to 20" while you're at it) you'd probably be hovering at the same weight as a Super Lite.

FYI, Brownell's has the Super Lites on sale for $889 right now. I like the new stock colors that have been offered. I'm not a huge fan of the Kryptek, but it's all that was available when I ordered mine.
I figured the Super Light was too thin.
The Carbon Stalker sounds like the better option here.
Anyone know how these Howa Carbon stocks do with recoil? I feel like some stocks do better than others. I have a Bansner on my current 358 and it doesn’t kick at all.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted to let those who are interested know there is a "special edition" of this rifle is available. It is a Howa Super Lite from Davidson's/Gallery of Guns which comes in a burnt bronze cerokote and comes with a matching radial muzzle break. Many sporting good stores and gun shops have an affiliations with Davidsons/Gallery of Guns as a distributor. In my opinion it is a handsome little rifle. Cost was just over $1000 which is about $150 more than you can find the standard version online. Stock is nice, barrel channel is aligned, feeds and extracts perfectly and weighed 4lbs 10oz without the included pic rail in 6.5 CM. Bottom "metal" is plastic which I can live with for now, I'm sure aftermarket options will become available. I'll plan to provide a range report after I do some load development.

Howa SL.jpg

amassi

WKR
Wanted to let those who are interested know there is a "special edition" of this rifle is available. It is a Howa Super Lite from Davidson's/Gallery of Guns which comes in a burnt bronze cerokote and comes with a matching radial muzzle break. Many sporting good stores and gun shops have an affiliations with Davidsons/Gallery of Guns as a distributor. In my opinion it is a handsome little rifle. Cost was just over $1000 which is about $150 more than you can find the standard version online. Stock is nice, barrel channel is aligned, feeds and extracts perfectly and weighed 4lbs 10oz without the included pic rail in 6.5 CM. Bottom "metal" is plastic which I can live with for now, I'm sure aftermarket options will become available. I'll plan to provide a range report after I do some load development.

View attachment 621562

Did it come with that stock? Looks like a stockys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk