New Howa Superlite rifle

Has anybody got their hands on this new rifle from Howa? I have yet to see any videos or any feedback on it. This little rifle looks pretty sweet @ 4.7lbs. I have their Alpine Mountain rifle in .308 for blacktails and black bears and love it.

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
Has anybody got their hands on this new rifle from Howa? I have yet to see any videos or any feedback on it. This little rifle looks pretty sweet @ 4.7lbs. I have their Alpine Mountain rifle in .7mm-08 for blacktails and black bears and love it.
Following.

I would love to see some feedback, too.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I received a Howa Mini version of the same rifle today in .223 (Stockys Stock, Kryptek), and based on the quality, would only recommend purchasing if you can inspect in person before buying. The rifle came wrapped, brand new, but the stock had some chips and peeling coating around the ejection area and the barrel channel was out of alignment with the action. As a result, the stock presses hard against the left hand side of the barrel, and the right side is untouched from the action forward. I'll report back on how Howa handles this.

A local sporting goods store had the 6.5 Creedmoor version in stock and it had the EXACT same issues--I figured it was a fluke. Shame on me.

Edit:
I think mine and the one I saw at the store are technically a Carbon Fiber Stalker w/Kryptek Camo. Still, a Stockys Stock.

Advertised weight was 4lb 10oz. Actual weight of my rifle is 5lb 2oz. With lightweight Talley rings and my preferred Vortex Razor 1-10, final weight is 6lb 11oz... I can see weights being off a bit with variations in wood stocks, but 8oz with synthetics is a bit much. Maybe the .223 accounts for a heavier barrel.

Last edited:
anyone else bought a Howa Superlite that could share a review? I'm about to pull the trigger on a lightweight rifle in 6.5 CM and the Superlite is at the top of my list. interested in : 1. accuracy. 2. fit and finish. 3. trigger pull weight & creep. 4. camo finish / durability. any pros / cons. thanks

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in 6.5 and absolutely love it. I mounted a Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14 to it and it's MOA or better so far with the ammo I've tried in it. Just mounted a Gunwerks 6ix on it, and can't believe how light it still is. I'll try and find the pic that I took of the first group after I tightened action screws as much as I could without breaking the polymer.

Pros: weight/balance, two-stage trigger (I personally like two-stages), good ergos, accurate, threaded cold hammer forged barrel
Cons: Had to remove from stock to free-float the barrel (minimal effort), polymer bottom metal (but so are Tikkas,) one-piece rail that's too tall for my tastes, replaced with Talley rings.

ETA here are pics. The group is 3rds of Sako TRG 136gr ScenarL ammo. I also picked up a 6 ARC barreled action that I haven't played with yet, and will most likely get a .223 mini action.
howa 6.5 superlite.jpghowa 6.5 group.jpg

Last edited:

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the Alpine in 6.5 CM and the Superlite in .308, set up the same with Talleys and Leupold 2.8x8 VX3i scopes. The Superlite is about a pound less, it weighs 5# 8oz empty. Sweet shooting with 130TTXS handloads at 3050fps.

J Batt

WKR
My Superlite in 6.5CM shot like CHIT. 3 factory loads and all shot around 3.5-4moa... Also had trouble extracting. Also the bolt became impossibly hard to lift because the cocking piece was grinding into the cocking ramp, which I was able to fix with some lapping compound.
Not too pleased with my first Howa. But I sent it in to them on account of the accuracy and extracting.
Hopefully Howa won't just shoot a lucky 3 shot group with its "favorite load" and send it back.
And yes I let the barrel cool down between shots, and yes I am fully capable of shooting sub MOA groups with a rifle that is capable.
I really hope it works out, its a sweet little rifle besides not being able to do the two things that I need it for. Cycle and shoot straight. Not kidding, If it comes back shooting close to an inch, and ejecting most of the time I will be very happy with it.
Also it weighed 4lbs 9oz on my scale. Not a huge deal, but some weight weenies buying this gun might get offended at the extra 2oz.

J Batt

WKR
I don't want to start any arguments. Just thought some folks would like to hear about other than ideal experiences regarding this rifle

My Superlite in 6.5CM shot like CHIT. 3 factory loads and all shot around 3.5-4moa... Also had trouble extracting. Also the bolt became impossibly hard to lift because the cocking piece was grinding into the cocking ramp, which I was able to fix with some lapping compound.
Not too pleased with my first Howa. But I sent it in to them on account of the accuracy and extracting.
Hopefully Howa won't just shoot a lucky 3 shot group with its "favorite load" and send it back.
And yes I let the barrel cool down between shots, and yes I am fully capable of shooting sub MOA groups with a rifle that is capable.
I really hope it works out, its a sweet little rifle besides not being able to do the two things that I need it for. Cycle and shoot straight. Not kidding, If it comes back shooting close to an inch, and ejecting most of the time I will be very happy with it.
Also it weighed 4lbs 9oz on my scale. Not a huge deal, but some weight weenies buying this gun might get offended at the extra 2oz.
How long did they tell you it would take to check? You could be in for a long wait.

- Offended Weight Weenie

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Hope they get it figured out for you, the rifle is pretty sweet, but you are right, it needs to do a couple things better.

Turkish

FNG
I received a Howa Mini version of the same rifle today in .223 (Stockys Stock, Kryptek), and based on the quality, would only recommend purchasing if you can inspect in person before buying. The rifle came wrapped, brand new, but the stock had some chips and peeling coating around the ejection area and the barrel channel was out of alignment with the action. As a result, the stock presses hard against the left hand side of the barrel, and the right side is untouched from the action forward. I'll report back on how Howa handles this.

A local sporting goods store had the 6.5 Creedmoor version in stock and it had the EXACT same issues--I figured it was a fluke. Shame on me.

Edit:
I think mine and the one I saw at the store are technically a Carbon Fiber Stalker w/Kryptek Camo. Still, a Stockys Stock.

Advertised weight was 4lb 10oz. Actual weight of my rifle is 5lb 2oz. With lightweight Talley rings and my preferred Vortex Razor 1-10, final weight is 6lb 11oz... I can see weights being off a bit with variations in wood stocks, but 8oz with synthetics is a bit much. Maybe the .223 accounts for a heavier barrel.
Man, that’s a pretty sizable weight difference over advertised.