New Howa Superlite rifle

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I guess only reason I mind it being that way is because there have been a few times where the ability to quietly eject a cartridge and rack in a new one, has allowed me to take game where I missed because I forgot that at 25yds, you need to aim about an inch below crosshairs, since the bullets path is still rising from 1.5 inches underneath the scopes line of sight.

So when I heard the "zip" I cringed, imagining the few critters that would have heard that and bolted at times in the past.

So a game animal doesn’t run from a missed gunshot at 25 yards, but it does from a slight noise from the bolt?

TheGDog

WKR
So a game animal doesn’t run from a missed gunshot at 25 yards, but it does from a slight noise from the bolt?
Yes.. because initially.. they're ears, much more sensitive than mine... are ringing.

That being able to rack another round silently, has gotten me a shot on a both a Coyote, and a Bobcat, where the first shot had just barely missed them. Due to not remembering, in the heat of the moment, about the need to put the crosshairs 1.0-1.5 inches above where I needed to hit. And both were moving targets. In both instances, after the 1st shot, their demeanor became like "WhatF was that?" and stiff-legged stance as they quickly jumped to turn around and look in the direction of the puff of dirt which happened just behind them those times. So... while they're ears were still ringing... I uber slowly and quietly was able to rack another round, since they didn't see me due to concealment gear. In fact... on the coyote.. he didn't hear me until the final sound of having to rotate the bolt down to lock it in.

jamesmc8

WKR
6.5 Creed Super Lite got its first kill a couple days ago. 175 yards using the 118 Hammer Hunter the shoulder. Enough shock on impact to knock him down. Pretty small exit hole maybe about 1.5x diameter. Did not see any sign of shed petals or trauma from such, internal damage way not very impressive. Not saying its a bad bullet but out of this short barreled rifle with moderate velocity I may go a different direction.

20231117_124707.jpg

180ls1

WKR
6.5 Creed Super Lite got its first kill a couple days ago. 175 yards using the 118 Hammer Hunter the shoulder. Enough shock on impact to knock him down. Pretty small exit hole maybe about 1.5x diameter. Did not see any sign of shed petals or trauma from such, internal damage way not very impressive. Not saying its a bad bullet but out of this short barreled rifle with moderate velocity I may go a different direction.

View attachment 629548

Nice buck! Yeah, a 6.5 that sheds pedals will somewhat pencil through. My 6.5 with hammers is for CA animals only now because they are smaller. I think the better lead free round is a TTSX or CX with the 6.5.

Now, Hammer + 308 may be a different story.

jamesmc8

WKR
Nice buck! Yeah, a 6.5 that sheds pedals will somewhat pencil through. My 6.5 with hammers is for CA animals only now because they are smaller. I think the better lead free round is a TTSX or CX with the 6.5.

Now, Hammer + 308 may be a different story.
I have some 131 HH loaded in 280 AI going 3180 that I will be trying out next year. For the 6.5 I am now looking at maybe going back to the ELDX but have not ruled out trying the 127 LRX.

180ls1

WKR
What speed are you getting with the 118? I am thinking of the same rifle (for my dad) but tossing around the 6.5/7-08/308 cal debate.

Mine is in a 6.5prc but with 124hh its at 3400. I am very confident with them on smaller than elk sized animals. Big muleys is where I start to get shaky and will use the 300prc with lead heavies.

amassi

WKR

View attachment 629548

You may want to look at the DRT 135
lead free and looks to behave like a cup n core

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamesmc8

WKR
What speed are you getting with the 118? I am thinking of the same rifle (for my dad) but tossing around the 6.5/7-08/308 cal debate.

Mine is in a 6.5prc but with 124hh its at 3400. I am very confident with them on smaller than elk sized animals. Big muleys is where I start to get shaky and will use the 300prc with lead heavies.
In my 20 inch barrel I am getting 2795 fps with the 118 HHT.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you! Ugh... it OCD bugs me.

You don't know til you ask, so here goes... is lapping compound available in big box hardware stores? Or is it more like an order it from Natchez Shooting Supplies or some such outfit, kinda thing?
The zip is on the bolt. Some wet sanding takes it off the bolt. You can see the ridges on the bolt before sanding.FF8DB6B3-53BE-436E-A254-546212E4A511.jpeg5EF9670F-49B8-4970-8E07-67BA9AA75099.jpeg

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I used some regular 220 to knock down the ridges, then some 550. I was ok being aggressive and I watched it carefully and slowly. I need to get the finer grit to polish it now. It runs without the zipper.

The action wasn’t a problem in mine. I didn’t want to put anything to it. No need for running polishing compound and taking material off the action, unless it is really for polishing.

180ls1

WKR
In my 20 inch barrel I am getting 2795 fps with the 118 HHT.

Thinking out loud.

I *think* a guy can get similar speeds with the .308 and 154HHT which seems more appetizing for big game. That said, I am still really unsure how that setup would be in such a light gun with no muzzle device.

I guess "there are no solutions, only tradeoffs."

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thinking out loud.

I *think* a guy can get similar speeds with the .308 and 154HHT which seems more appetizing for big game. That said, I am still really unsure how that setup would be in such a light gun with no muzzle device.

I guess "there are no solutions, only tradeoffs."
No solutions, only tradeoffs--that's right. I think I heard it from Thomas Sowell, and it has become a mantra for me.

When I think out loud, I always apply pressure for me to answer why I want one thing more than the other in the tradeoff. I have learned that "feeling" is often a good starting point for me, cause "feelings" are lying cheats, lol. I force myself to come up with a reality check as a challenge to my feelings.

Question in the tradeoff here would be why you feel the bigger bullet is more appetizing for big game? There is no wrong answer, I respect a guy's choice for whatever he wants to do.

180ls1

WKR
No solutions, only tradeoffs--that's right. I think I heard it from Thomas Sowell, and it has become a mantra for me.

When I think out loud, I always apply pressure for me to answer why I want one thing more than the other in the tradeoff. I have learned that "feeling" is often a good starting point for me, cause "feelings" are lying cheats, lol. I force myself to come up with a reality check as a challenge to my feelings.

Question in the tradeoff here would be why you feel the bigger bullet is more appetizing for big game? There is no wrong answer, I respect a guy's choice for whatever he wants to do.

Let me lay out the scenario and see what you all have to say.

Dad is 72
Western Hunter
Needs a lighter gun
Is not a "skilled shooter", wont watch impacts and all have proper PRS style form.
Most all kills are 200 yards +/- 100
We hunt CA where monolithic is mandatory, 1 type of ammo would be a plus.

I am thinking a 308 Superlite + Copper + CDS dial is the ticket. 2 nice 30cal holes in any animal from *any* angle would be great. There is a decent chance I'll be with him with something more suited for longer range if needed.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most of the older shooters I know need all the help they can to keep stable, which can be exacerbated by eyes that aren't as sharp as they used to be.

For shots inside 200, all the old school rifles and shooting work, so there is no sense trying to upgrade to PRS/precision type changes. But, I will draw from precision shooting for as many ideas/tricks as possible to make shooting easier for every hunter as an extension their capabilities, like using a chair/stool, tripod/bipod for front support, pillows for rear support, and whatever other creative solutions I can muster that doesn't over complicate the situation.

Because I believe that recoil influences every rifle before the bullet leaves the barrel, any excess recoil will exploit the wobble which is compounded in a light rifle and produce bigger shot patterns. Also, it might not be about spotting shots, but at close range target re-acquisition can be much more difficult for older hunters. That is something to test and consider.

I think the .308 is significantly more recoil and that makes it less effective in a light rifle. Heck, the PRS and competition crowd goes with a heavy rifle and baby 6mm like the 6 dasher or 6 GT, which are both smaller than a 6 creed and .243. It is for recoil management and spotting shots. "Free recoil" is a thing because we influence rifles until the bullet leaves the barrel. Bench rest shooters also use heavy rifles, and that isn't for spotting shots at all.

Its about tradeoffs. I think the benefits of shooting a lighter recoiling rifle create a deadlier shooter than benefits of a bigger bullet making a bigger hole. Bigger doesn't make things "too dead" if you can't shoot the rifle--that's what going bigger crowd can miss.

Speed kills and speed expands copper. A 6mm bullet expanding to the maximum will be enough to kill the same as a .308 if shot in the same spot. But, that is the key, you'd have shoot the .308 as good as the .243. The thing that matters most is putting an expanding bullet of some sort through the vitals--bottom line. And, the faster a copper bullet goes the better.

In my mind the calculus is like this: A bigger hole is often considered insurance against a bad shot. It is true, but the underlying premise is based on the possibility of a bad shot. Prevention is better than a cure.

My focus for me and anyone else is on changing the odds in my favor, rather than compensating for what happens if the odds go against me. If the odds are really that bad, then it doesn't matter what bullet you shoot.

I tested my own shooting, and found that reducing recoil improves all aspects of my shooting, because bigger recoil requires more skill and focus. As for smaller bullets, I've been convinced they can be just as effective.

My recommendation is a .243, but if not that then a 6.5 cm.

TheGDog

WKR
Definitely get him this 6.5cm man. The recoil is nice and pleasant! And soo nice and light to carry!

And ... comparing the ballistics of this Howa to Daddy's .308.. now that I'm trying the 130gr TTSX... the two rifles are pretty much identical in performance with that load.. the 6.5cm having an advantage out past like 400yds, only difference besides projectile diameter.

Now.. IF... something like Elk is on the menu... regularly... you MIGHT...might.. consider the .308 version just so you can do 168gr TTSX's in it. But that's about it.

RussDXT

WKR
Seeing these at $850 is that a price that should be the norm or will they jump again? I think I want to pick one up to play with.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seeing these at $850 is that a price that should be the norm or will they jump again? I think I want to pick one up to play with.
With a Stocky’s that looks like a sweet deal considering the cost of a regular barreled action and stocky’s stock.