NEW American Rifle Company Coup De Grace Action $899

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in for two, a Long action and a short action. Been buying ARC actions since 2015 and ended up with one of each model. These will make 7 for me and 9 between me and my brother.

Gonna swap them into two of my hunting builds and use the other actions for a hunting and a target rifle.

gabenzeke

WKR
Just got my long action /magnum. Love it so far. The one thing I'm not sure I understand is the pivoting bolt. What purpose does it serve? If I understand correctly, if I take that part out, I can run a tt diamond, but with the pivoting bolt handle I can't?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

NSI

WKR
Just got my long action /magnum. Love it so far. The one thing I'm not sure I understand is the pivoting bolt. What purpose does it serve? If I understand correctly, if I take that part out, I can run a tt diamond, but with the pivoting bolt handle I can't?

adds leverage for extraction.

gabenzeke

WKR
adds leverage for extraction.
Reading the website, it seems like it's intended mostly for Lapua based cartridges. But I'm planning on a 7 prc with a +p chamber. Would it be a bad move to remove it? Just trying to get an idea of how useful it will be for me.

NSI

WKR
Reading the website, it seems like it's intended mostly for Lapua based cartridges. But I'm planning on a 7 prc with a +p chamber. Would it be a bad move to remove it? Just trying to get an idea of how useful it will be for me.

chances are you'll not often have a case which requires extra leverage to extract.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider

It’s predominantly for times where you would have a difficult extraction due to any number of issues. On a typical action a stuck case requires you to beat the handle upwards to engage the camming surface to break the case free which is an awkward motion to do while in a shooting position.

With the pivoting handle it replaces the camming surface and uses the leverage pulled straight backwards to break the case free. This motion is much more natural and allows for easier manipulation in a shooting position.

While I haven’t had to use it on my CDG I did use it on my Archimedes, a round that was fine in my Proof Barrel was highly over pressured in my Carbon 6 barrel. I had to put two hands on the handle and yanked it back into my shoulder to break the case free. With a standard action I would have had to stand up and beat the handle against a table in order to force the bolt open.

gabenzeke

WKR
It’s predominantly for times where you would have a difficult extraction due to any number of issues. On a typical action a stuck case requires you to beat the handle upwards to engage the camming surface to break the case free which is an awkward motion to do while in a shooting position.

With the pivoting handle it replaces the camming surface and uses the leverage pulled straight backwards to break the case free. This motion is much more natural and allows for easier manipulation in a shooting position.

While I haven’t had to use it on my CDG I did use it on my Archimedes, a round that was fine in my Proof Barrel was highly over pressured in my Carbon 6 barrel. I had to put two hands on the handle and yanked it back into my shoulder to break the case free. With a standard action I would have had to stand up and beat the handle against a table in order to force the bolt open.
Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to settle for either a timney elite or a trigger tech special. Probably not a huge deal, but I'm guessing if I do a +p chamber, I'll be playing at the edges of pressure and could encounter this situation.

SDHNTR

WKR
Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have to settle for either a timney elite or a trigger tech special. Probably not a huge deal, but I'm guessing if I do a +p chamber, I'll be playing at the edges of pressure and could encounter this situation.

What exactly is a +p chamber, or how is it dimensionally different from saami? I understand the concept, but how is it accomplished?

Last edited:

gabenzeke

WKR
What exactly is a +p chamber, or how is it dimensionally different from saami? I understand the concept, but how is it accomplished?
Couldn't tell you. I'm guessing it's sort of kept under wraps since unknown munitions and defensive edge are the only ones that can do it. But pretty much everybody I've seen use it is getting an extra 100 fps give or take. Kind of cool if you're going with a short barrel and suppressor.

BBob

WKR
What exactly is a +p chamber,
Basically it’s a fairly normal throat design with the lands in front of that throat relieved to about half height for a short length in front of the throat. It had been done before Carlock did it but he spent the time to figure out what heights and lengths worked and I believe patented it. Anyone can try it if you want to draw up a print for a throating reamer or full reamer and experiment. There are drawings out there.

What the idea is and does is to lessen the pressure to get the bullet started into the lands. Pretty much as simple as that.

BBob

WKR
So just a smoother ramp up to the lands?
An easier ramp up in pressure but not a physical ramp, think of it as half a step midway between the full freebore diameter and full height of lands. It removes about half the height of the lands in a parallel or cylindrical fashion.

In benchrest circles it is known as a parallel or bore rider throat.
IMG_1440.jpeg
IMG_1441.jpeg

Last edited:

gabenzeke

WKR
Has anybody gotten a regular manners or McMillan stock for one of these? This is my first custom action and I'm not seeing that either company offers an I let for these actions. Will a Remington 700 inlet work? Or am I better off ditching this action and doing something else?

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Has anybody gotten a regular manners or McMillan stock for one of these? This is my first custom action and I'm not seeing that either company offers an I let for these actions. Will a Remington 700 inlet work? Or am I better off ditching this action and doing something else?

IMG_7753.jpegManners EH1 SA 700 cut

IMG_7752.jpegAG Composites LA 700 cut
McMillan ARC LA Mausingfield cut

If you get a Manners LHT or Pro Hunter they are cut with low sides so any 700 pattern action will drop in with no clearance issues.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Do those eject cleanly? The ejection port cut outs are way off on each of those it appears.

I haven’t yet had an issue but it does look somewhat deceptive as the bolt head stops short of the end of the ejection port.
IMG_7753.jpegIMG_7787.jpeg

I had some fitment issues with the EH1 Mini Chassis due to the trigger hanger and would have had to replace the mag latch on my bottom metal so it was easier to drop it into the HNT which required only a mag latch switch which they sent me for free.

SDHNTR

WKR
I haven’t yet had an issue but it does look somewhat deceptive as the bolt head stops short of the end of the ejection port.
View attachment 620196View attachment 620195

I had some fitment issues with the EH1 Mini Chassis due to the trigger hanger and would have had to replace the mag latch on my bottom metal so it was easier to drop it into the HNT which required only a mag latch switch which they sent me for free.
Ahh, that makes sense about the bolt head. Those ejection ports on the receiver do look unnecessarily large. They do that to save weight?

I’ve never had an ARC action in my hands.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
Ahh, that makes sense about the bolt head. Those ejection ports on the receiver do look unnecessarily large. They do that to save weight?

I assume it was done to save weight and allow for a wider ejection port for single loading ammo. So far this is the only ARC action that is set up like that as the Mausingfield, Nucleus and Archimedes all have the bolt head behind the rear portion of the action due to the smaller ejection port.

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider

On the CDG I believe the main reason is to allow access to top off AIAW mags without needing a traditional open top design. AIAW mags can be top loaded. And I’m sure it helps keep the action at the target weight.