NEW American Rifle Company Coup De Grace Action $899

Old-Cat

Lil-Rokslider
22F5B17A-E47C-458D-931E-2745D6A7B385.jpeg
Someone just asked him directly. We weren’t the only ones thinking that.

Edit. He said no. Yeah original name was Coup d'etat. Like I said, the guy is a hoot.

Attachments

• 4ACC823E-0F26-40F9-BFDC-8E6C7AE022C3.jpeg
    4ACC823E-0F26-40F9-BFDC-8E6C7AE022C3.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 101
The name is weird. Seems like what someone would name a product if it were the last product they ever released.
“an action or event that serves as the culmination of a bad or deteriorating situation.”

gbflyer

WKR
I’m sure it’s great and he’ll sell a few. I’m not into the pic rail but it’s sensible for his intended audience. Didn’t ask me. Haha.

Last edited:
I guess I'm missing the reliability and safety issue. I have not experienced that. I've had a Jewel trigger gum up on me, but I figured out how to solve that little annoyance. (lighter fluid is NOT the fix it is made out to be)

I've never had a slam fire in the field or at the range.
Hi Chad,
Can you share your experience on what you found to keep your Jewells running?
I have been using the lighter fluid treatment.

BjornF16

WKR
It feels like factory remington 700 triggers are being lumped in with Timney and Trigger Tech triggers.

Are some of you saying that ANY trigger that fits a 700 action is inherently problematic?

I have no use for factory 700 triggers....but I've had zero issues with Timneys and TTs...and damn few people are harder on their equipment than I.

Dave
Yes…see the thread below

idahodave

WKR
I guess we read that thread and draw different conlucsions.

1. I see that every trigger “failed”.
2. Snow, ice, rain are a part of hunting to be sure, but I don’t pour a lot of water into my actions during the season.

I appreciate Form’s efforts and experiences,…but I’ve been killing bulls in the wilds of Idaho for 35 years (I’m 50 now). I know a bit about what hard hunting looks like. I also shoot a couple thousand rounds of ammo a year. My experience tells me concerns over a TT or Timney trigger failing in a 700 action are GREATLY overblown…greatly. If I was pouring water into my action before I left camp every morning, I guess MAYBE I’d be a bit more concerned about the “advantage” Tikka offers.

I like Tikkas a LOT and have owned several. There are lots of reasons to buy one. Fear of a trigger failing in most other guns just isn’t one of them imho. Your experience may vary as they say.

Both photos are from this season. Draw whatever conclusions you like. I’m not a special forces operative, but I might have killed a few dozen elk along the way, in some pretty inhospitable weather. I will say that factory 700 triggers are no bueno from my experience, and thats without any regard to weather.

Attachments

• 321736D5-CB74-4106-84C3-FD13FD63A90D.jpeg
    321736D5-CB74-4106-84C3-FD13FD63A90D.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 5B9031B6-23D4-46C0-8840-AC01382C3F43.jpeg
    5B9031B6-23D4-46C0-8840-AC01382C3F43.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
I would like to see someone get one of these actions, install a geissele trigger, and thoroughly test the drop safety and it's susceptibility to moisture and freezing temps. Not necessarily pouring 32oz of water in the action

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
To address the trigger issue-

There are two separate things being mixed together it seems- drop safety, and reliability in adverse weather conditions. As for drop safety, the only trigger that is R700 compatible that will pass a standard drop of 5 feet on the butt and not fire is the Geissle military only MK13 trigger. The Geissele Super 700 is a similar derivative, however is not the same. Most R700 triggers will fire with a drop of just a couple of feet. For those that will ask- yes, Tikka and Sako pass the 5 foot drop fine.

Now for adverse weather reliability-

I am not, nor have I stated that all Remington based triggers fail every time and can not be used to kill animals. It is a fact that Remington based trigger systems are more susceptible to failure or issues than other triggers systems in adverse weather. That is, that they are more likely to suffer issues in adverse weather than other trigger systems used in the same conductions. The freeze thing I did that has been linked, shows that clearly- the Trigger Tech gave much more problems than the Tikka or Sako. This is not some conspiracy thing. My life would be so much easier if someone made a trigger for R700’s that work right. ARC actions are some of, if not the best designed actions on the market, but the trigger system is a hindrance that I am not willing to suffer.

I average 40-60 days of shooting in “extreme” winter weather a year. I and others with be using R700 based guns with a variety of triggers, right beside guns using Sako/Tikka triggers, AI’s, etc. R700 trigger have vastly more issues than the others. It’s so obvious that people saying they haven’t seen it, I really would have to question how much shooting in snow and ice they do that isn’t on a range.

One gun using a Remington based trigger so far this year hunting in a few days of snow and slush- twice it had to be heated up by the stove to get it to function. The Tikkas and Sako carried beside it functioned fine. One rifle with a Trigger Tech used last year hunting, and it failed to fire once from snow.

I am not an engineer and I don’t really care why, however I have been told by several manufacturers that it is a problem endemic to how the trigger system works, and that no matter what is done it will always be more susceptible to dust/sand/ice/snow than others trigger systems.
Trigger Techs are not immune or even all that great in dust/sand, nor in freezing rain and snow. They certainly can be used, but the reliability problems of R700 based triggers is not some secret. @Ryan Avery how many TT’s or other triggers have you seen fail or given problems in the last couple of years?

idahodave

WKR
Question whatever you like friend. I'm secure enough in my own experiences that yours to the contrary don't offend me even a little.

Maybe I'm just lucky. I rip the mattress tags right off the mattress when I buy them too. I've always been a bit of a risk-taker that way.

Lots of people have had match bullets "splash" and their experiences lead them to look elsewhere when looking for a hunting bullet. I think our views on that particular topic align pretty well though.

Like I said...we're all a product of our own experiences. I've been stacking up bodies like cordwood in country damn few dudes care to venture. If/when a TT or Timney fail me though, I'll be sure to report it. I have stock in neither company.

Dave

P.s. My .280ai used to kill the bull posted above. It’s been used a little bit since first-purchased in 1992…well, the action anyway. Everything else has been replaced along the way. This one has a TT in it fwtw.

Attachments

• D0A3EF52-DFDE-4898-987D-37D83CCAC783.jpeg
    D0A3EF52-DFDE-4898-987D-37D83CCAC783.jpeg
    806.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
I believe Ted said this is specifically setup for AW mags, will work with AICS mags, and a variant for bdl may be in the future. A lighter weight “hunting” version may be in the future as well.
Lame. That’s one thing that turns me off from ARC. Too tactical.

They make an action that has what you’re asking. It’s just not this one.

Honestly with the advent of flush aics mag/bottom metal combos I don’t know why anyone would go bdl. Prior to that I would Al have agreed, that an aics mag on a hunting rifle sucks.

None of them are truly flush though, from what I can find. There's UM and Hawkins but those still protrude. Tikka's factory mags are about as protruding as I can handle from an aesthetics perspective. Unfortunately, the aesthetics of my gun usually plays too big a role in my choices haha

Lawnboi

WKR
None of them are truly flush though, from what I can find. There's UM and Hawkins but those still protrude. Tikka's factory mags are about as protruding as I can handle from an aesthetics perspective. Unfortunately, the aesthetics of my gun usually plays too big a role in my choices haha
I can deal with a little sticking out personally if that means I can unload my rifle without dealing with a bdl

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
@BjornF16 what trigger issues have you experienced, with what triggers, and what was the trigger pull weight?

Jewel
3# froze up on a Moose hunt, would not fire till it warmed up in my wall tent. It costed me a really good bull.

Timney Calvin Elite
2.5# froze up elk hunting, it wouldn’t function till I got home and completely warmed the rifle up.

2.5# TT Diamond would not fire at the shooting range. The trigger locked up. I completely took trigger off rifle reinstall and it functioned correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro