NEW American Rifle Company Coup De Grace Action $899

BjornF16

WKR
I’ve also experienced zero issues with R700 type triggers. I shot about 2,000 rounds through R700 and R700 clones in 2022 without problems. Those trigger’s obviously have more rounds on them from previous years.
I'm now down to only one R700 (and technically not mine, that is a custom I had done for my youngest son).

I was running Trigger Tech's on my other R700s. I ended up moving them on (two were Remingtons, another a custom clone) mainly because I hated fighting the bolt when trying to cycle quickly.

Hopefully Ted figures out the R700 trigger "issue"...I'd like to see his trigger, if he actually develops it, pass Form's frozen test.

I'd also like to see his action with an aftermarket trigger properly adjusted with the "trigger hanger" go through that same frozen test.

ID_Matt

WKR
I was running Trigger Tech's on my other R700s. I ended up moving them on (two were Remingtons, another a custom clone) mainly because I hated fighting the bolt when trying to cycle quickly.
What do you mean by fighting the bolt?

R700 trigger problems aside, this looks like an awesome action for an amazing price. Integral recoil lug and rail for under $900 is awesome.

ID_Matt

WKR
Bolt binding in action...even an issue on my custom R700 action. Seeing how smooth the Tikka/Sako bolt runs convinced me to shed my R700s
Interesting. And this is caused by the trigger or is it action specific? Have 3 lone peaks that definitely never bind, but i have had 2 triggers fill with enough dirt/dust to start slam firing.

BjornF16

WKR
Interesting. And this is caused by the trigger or is it action specific? Have 3 lone peaks that definitely never bind, but i have had 2 triggers fill with enough dirt/dust to start slam firing.
Best I can describe is any lateral pressure during cycling forward and the bolt would bind.

I used to push back on the Tikka (or European) fan club...then I watched this video from @Formidilosus and went to my safe and tried to cycle my guns quickly. Then I went to my LGS and tried a Tikka and came home with it.

ID_Matt

WKR
Best I can describe is any lateral pressure during cycling forward and the bolt would bind.

I used to push back on the Tikka (or European) fan club...then I watched this video from @Formidilosus and went to my safe and tried to cycle my guns quickly. Then I went to my LGS and tried a Tikka and came home with it.

I see what you mean. Shape of the bolt lugs has to have a big influence in that? Definitely have noticed that on other 700 types. I paid a lot more than a tikka for my actions, so am inclined to say they don't bind haha.

LRI_Chad

FNG
But defiance can't stay in business unless their actions sell for $1600+?

So it sounds like Ted is aware of the safety and inclement weather reliability issues of the r700 trigger system... Is that correct?

If so, I would like to see what he comes up with to solve the problem for that platform.

I was reading about this new action this morning, and I remember reading the part about the action coming and cock on open but it can be changed to where it is cock on close. Is one configuration better than the other as far as making this trigger system safer and more reliable?

I guess I'm missing the reliability and safety issue. I have not experienced that. I've had a Jewel trigger gum up on me, but I figured out how to solve that little annoyance. (lighter fluid is NOT the fix it is made out to be)

I've never had a slam fire in the field or at the range.

I guess I'm missing the reliability and safety issue. I have not experienced that. I've had a Jewel trigger gum up on me, but I figured out how to solve that little annoyance. (lighter fluid is NOT the fix it is made out to be)

I've never had a slam fire in the field or at the range.

Here's where I'll admit I'm somewhat of a typical internet forum user. I have owned one 700 but sold it not long after buying it because it didn't shoot worth a hoot. I ended up with 2 tikkas over the last couple years and love them.

So, I've never had an issue with the 700 trigger safety and reliability issue either! But have learned on this forum that the 700 trigger system is the most likely to slam fire, fire when dropped, and have a trigger that quits working with freezing temps and moisture out of all major action/trigger designs.

So I just wonder what kind of effort he's put into that since he's obviously very interested in redefining what a custom action should do and be.

gbflyer

WKR
Sako M28/30 might pass the frozen trigger test. That’s about it. No one is running to build a better Mosin though.

I took a kid hunting a while back, he was bringing his dads Remington. I told the kid to go online and check to see if it has a recall; and to take it to the range and run a couple boxes of ammo through it at least once. He told me he did those things.

We had a steep climb, so I told him empty chambers until we reach the top. Once at the top, I chambered a round. He was going to chamber a round and was facing me. I went into gun safety mode, stoped him, talked to him, and exhibited to him how to safely chamber a round, making note of the muzzle direction. As soon as I closed the bolt, the rifle went off. From that point he became a spectator lugging around dead useless weight.

I have had similar happen to several friends, different models. On this one I am 100% with Form. You just don't know what is going to set it off, nor when.

ljalberta

WKR
Dang. Trigger issues aside, this looks like an awesome option. Love to see this type of value innovation in the business.

I've had two separate Remington 700 based rifle triggers freeze on me in Temps in the teens . One with snow and one with no real precipitation (just some humidity) . Have seen a buddy of mine have a R700 trigger fail to go bang on a good whitetail buck in Temps in the 20s from a box blind with no precipitation (trigger froze). Never had a slamfire though, thankfully. I have one custom R700 action (Defiance AnTi) and I much prefer the Tikka action. I'm slowly phasing out my R700-based rifles. For simple range use where you have good and controlled conditions amd decent weather, the R700 works ok. Don't take them in cold weather or any difficult hunts.

I haven’t watched the “freeze test” but I did go and cycle my 4 current Remingtons pretty dang hard several times like video linked in one of the side threads. None of them failed to function properly. They all have Timney 510’s or Trigger Tech primary or specials set at 2#.

I’ve not had issue, but one rifle had the trigger recalled several years ago. Remington took the trigger and gave me a new one. It’s in my parts box with all the other Remington triggers.

BBob

WKR
Here is the link where Ted wrote up the particulars about the trigger on the new action. It's over on SH. He has a bunch of photos as well which is why I'm taking the lazy route on this.

Pretty standard fare if you’re accustomed to BR style actions setting up pin fall and such but Ted as usual refines it and makes it nicer than most.

I'm pretty new to CF bolt rifles. My experience is limited to Tikka and 1 model 700 that I didn't own very long. So my assessment could be due to my general ignorance.

Having stripped my Tikka bolt apart multiple times and nearly completely disassembling the trigger and reading all the info I can find on the design of the ARC actions, the Tikka bolt and trigger seem so simple in comparison to ARCs actions and the 700 trigger.

Are ARC actions really that much more complex?

I find it ironic, that a company called American Rifle Company, names it’s action “coup de grâce”, which is a French word.

Well it's also ironic that coup de grace is a final blow to something already injured..... So he's already telling ya it's not going to be THAT accurate an action 😅

Kidding aside, I'd call it coup stick. Indians would touch a downed / dead foe warrior during battle with a coup stick and keep track of the number of coup they count. A great warrior would have many coup counted. It makes me think of walking up on my freshly fallen deer or elk and poking it with the muzzle from the backside to make sure I don't get horned.

idahodave

WKR
It feels like factory remington 700 triggers are being lumped in with Timney and Trigger Tech triggers.

Are some of you saying that ANY trigger that fits a 700 action is inherently problematic?

I have no use for factory 700 triggers....but I've had zero issues with Timneys and TTs...and damn few people are harder on their equipment than I.

Dave