NEW American Rifle Company Coup De Grace Action $899

TK-421

FNG
Recently announced by ARC is the new Coup De Grace action. Ted has a thread on SH and is actively answering questions over there.

Introductory price of $899

ARCs announcement:

People of Earth,

American Rifle Company proudly introduces the Coup De Grâce at the hard to believe introductory price of only $899.

We'll be taking orders soon, probably in about eight weeks once actions are on the shelf.

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

e. coup de grâce n. /ku də ɡras/ [literally stroke of grace] a blow by which one condemned or mortally wounded is ‘put out of his misery’ or dispatched quickly; hence figurative a finishing stroke, one that settles or puts an end to something.

Whether it puts competitors out of their misery or puts and end to the confusion resulting from the myriad of other bolt actions with little or nothing to distinguish one from another, American Rifle Company’s Coup De Grâce is certainly worthy of its name.

Simply put, the Coup De Grâce does more with less and looks great doing it with its beautiful design, DLC and salt bath nitrided finishes.

It’s Rem700 footprint receiver is machined with an integral recoil lug and integral 20 MOA rail.

The three-lug, 70-degree bolt uses interchangeable floating bolt heads and accommodates everything from 223 Rem on up to 338 Lapua.

Receiver and bolt work well with AICS mags but are optimized for incredibly smooth and reliable feeding using AIAW mags and conical breech barrels.

The AIAW mag will hard stop against the bottom of the receiver thus preventing interference with the bolt.

The back of the AICS mag will hard stop against the receiver but if pushed upwards, the forward tips of the feed lips will interfere with the bolt. The mag will be driven down when pushing the bolt forward. An optional forward hard stop for the AICS mag can be placed between the receiver and the stock/chassis.

Receiver-mounted passive (aka mechanical) ejector sends cases out at three o’clock through a large ejection port.

Controlled-round feed extractor grips a large portion of the case rim taking full advantage of the patented pivoting bolt handle that easily pulls even the most stubborn cartridges from the chamber.

The pivoting bolt handle can be swapped out for a fixed handle thus converting the action to one with conventional cam extraction better tolerated by highly sensitive triggers.

The entire bolt assembly is composed of only sixteen parts, but can function with as few as twelve, of which two are springs and one is a ball.

The entire bolt, even the striker assembly, can be disassembled in the field without the use of tools.

A screw-adjustable trigger hanger makes easy work of positioning Rem700 compatible triggers for bump-free bolt closing.

Dual cocking cams reduce friction within the bolt for easier bolt lift.

The bolt knob is our best ever and makes fast cycling really easy. Other knobs can also be adapted to the standard 5/16-24 handle thread.

The circular section of the bolt handle makes sweeping it back easy if that’s your preference.

Robust 9 o’clock bolt release has a direct load path to the receiver which protects the its pivot pin.

Patented toroidal bolt-lug bearing surfaces reduce stress.

The Coup De Grâce is explosively tested for safety at pressures that greatly exceed standard proof loads.

Weight: short action 947 grams (2.1 pounds), long action 1084 grams (2.4 pounds)

Why, you might ask, would we offer the Coup De Grâce at such a low price? Well, let's just say I'm a big fan of decentralized decision making and to that end, I think everyone should have long range rifle built on the best action ever offered by anyone at any price. But that's just me.

Enjoy

Ted

1673279130935.png

1673279148185.png

1673279160877.png

1673279175985.png

1673279190228.png

1673279203874.png

1673279227322.png

BBob

WKR
Ted needs to figure out a better Remington compatible trigger. If anyone can he's probably the guy.
Way back in the early days he had a trigger he was going to market. Can’t remember why he stopped and didn’t. Might have been he just got way too busy building actions? You can do a patent search and find it. Mby he has plans to resurrect it?

Last edited:

BjornF16

WKR
I believe any "Remington compatible trigger" will have all the inherit R700 trigger issues...

BBob

WKR
I believe any "Remington compatible trigger" will have all the inherit R700 trigger issues...
So how many really have issues? What percentage? I know the form guy will probably swear up and down rem trigger failures are a massive wide spread issue but in my use and my extended community it just isn’t so. I’m in over 40 years with Remington triggers and not a failure yet through quite a few rifles. I do maintain my stuff and don’t tend to beat it it up but it does get into the field and it does get used.

BjornF16

WKR
So how many really have issues? What percentage? I know the form guy will probably swear up and down rem trigger failures are a massive wide spread issue but in my use and my extended community it just isn’t so. I’m in over 40 years with Remington triggers and not a failure yet through quite a few rifles. I do maintain my stuff and don’t tend to beat it it up but it does get into the field and it does get used.
Just look at Form's ice test with the R700 slam fires.

BBob

WKR
Exactly. Without needing to go look at that what percentage will the conditions he tested will actually apply to the number of hunters in the field? I’d bet very few. If those are your conditions you hunt regularly then yeah mby a Remington isn’t for you.

BjornF16

WKR
Exactly. Without needing to go look at that what percentage will the conditions he tested will actually apply to the number of hunters in the field? I’d bet very few. If those are your conditions you hunt regularly then yeah mby a Remington isn’t for you.
I sometimes hunt CO...in 3rd or 4th season. West of Gunnison it is common to have single digit temps, or, if a little warmer, varying precipitation.

I love what he is doing with the action: 70 degree bolt lift, 3 lug design, shrouded action. But honestly, if he is going to do his own trigger then wouldn't it be smart to get away from the Remington fire control?

BBob

WKR
Dunno. Mby if Ted resurrects his old trigger or comes up with something new that’s compatible mby before telling anyone about it or producing it he can hire the torture testing guy to test and approve it and then everyone will be happy and be sure it won’t fail in all of the worst conditions?

LRI_Chad

FNG

Just an FYI:

If there is a concern regarding where or how the fire control cocking piece interacts with the transfer bar of the trigger (cock on open, cock on close) with various triggers, know that an effort has been made to solve this.

In a nutshell:

The trigger carrier has a pair of adjustment screws that provide some adjustment range to move the entire trigger fore/aft. This influences where the cocking piece obtains purchase on the transfer bar of the trigger. All trigger manufacturers differ a bit in where they place the angled feature that interacts with the cocking piece. If I were to lay a wager as to why it likely has to do with the fact that the gun industry does a horrible job (as a whole) when it comes to communicating with one another. Just about everything is treated as though it's an Area 51 secret.

There's a bit more to how the trigger carrier works. Ted and I are close friends. He's in the process of writing some better-detailed verbiage about it. I'll copy/paste it here once he cuts it loose.

Hope this helps.

C.

BjornF16

WKR
@BjornF16 what trigger issues have you experienced, with what triggers, and what was the trigger pull weight?
Me personally with R700...none. Hunting partners in CO required everyone with R700 remain unchambered until ready to shoot. Risk mitigation.

I've had three R700's recalled by Remington for the trigger.

Again, I would point to the testing that Form has done on a well known/used aftermarket trigger for the R700. Frozen up - slam fires. Only fire control system to show that tendency.

I've had a couple of Savage Accutriggers that went off but were caught by the additional safety feature of that trigger. Some of these were on cocking closing bolt, once when dropped. Those triggers were adjusted down pretty light.

Last edited:
Just an FYI:

If there is a concern regarding where or how the fire control cocking piece interacts with the transfer bar of the trigger (cock on open, cock on close) with various triggers, know that an effort has been made to solve this.

In a nutshell:

The trigger carrier has a pair of adjustment screws that provide some adjustment range to move the entire trigger fore/aft. This influences where the cocking piece obtains purchase on the transfer bar of the trigger. All trigger manufacturers differ a bit in where they place the angled feature that interacts with the cocking piece. If I were to lay a wager as to why it likely has to do with the fact that the gun industry does a horrible job (as a whole) when it comes to communicating with one another. Just about everything is treated as though it's an Area 51 secret.

There's a bit more to how the trigger carrier works. Ted and I are close friends. He's in the process of writing some better-detailed verbiage about it. I'll copy/paste it here once he cuts it loose.

Hope this helps.

C.

So it sounds like Ted is aware of the safety and inclement weather reliability issues of the r700 trigger system... Is that correct?

If so, I would like to see what he comes up with to solve the problem for that platform.

I was reading about this new action this morning, and I remember reading the part about the action coming and cock on open but it can be changed to where it is cock on close. Is one configuration better than the other as far as making this trigger system safer and more reliable?

BBob

WKR
So it sounds like Ted is aware of the safety and inclement weather reliability issues of the r700 trigger system... Is that correct?
No doubt. He's been in this game for quite some time now.

Ted's early trigger. Not even close to what a Rem looks like. My guess is whatever he comes up with will get tested. Maybe he dropped it because it was action specific and not Rem compatible and would have been a harder more expensive sell? I'm sure you could dig up the old info off Snipers Hide if you tried. Or does anyone remember why he dropped it?

Edit: Took more time to look at this trigger. Looks like it was dedicated to the action and had a tang slide safety. Probably too expensive and the Rem made more sense to get his original actions rolling. May have require a modified stock inlet too.
ARC Trigger.png

Last edited: