Need Spotter Advice

I realize this is an older post, but a vote here for the Maven S.2. Don't like taking a spotter for archery elk, but I will with this little guy. Great glass, shape also makes it easier to fit in/on a pack about anywhere. I'd love a Kowa but...$$$$ matters

Air Bear

FNG
Heat, now that you are a couple of years into your choice on the Kowa 554 I wonder if you are still happy with your choice? Specifically I wonder how you feel the smaller objective does at gathering first and last light? Thanks

Heat, now that you are a couple of years into your choice on the Kowa 554 I wonder if you are still happy with your choice? Specifically I wonder how you feel the smaller objective does at gathering first and last light? Thanks

@Air Bear
I can't speak for Heat, but I can tell you that after six years with my TSN-554, it is still the perfect spotter for my use. That being, to scan with 10.5 X44s on the tripod, then pull out the spotter for a better look. FOV is small, but that's a non-issue for me since I'm not scanning with it. As far as gathering light early and late, I would say I lose only a few minutes at each end of the day, compared to my 884. For the huge weight savings, I'll give up those few minutes. Anytime I leave the truck, that scope is in my pack whether hunting or just hiking/camping.

Air Bear

FNG
@Air Bear
I can't speak for Heat, but I can tell you that after six years with my TSN-554, it is still the perfect spotter for my use. That being, to scan with 10.5 X44s on the tripod, then pull out the spotter for a better look. FOV is small, but that's a non-issue for me since I'm not scanning with it. As far as gathering light early and late, I would say I lose only a few minutes at each end of the day, compared to my 884. For the huge weight savings, I'll give up those few minutes. Anytime I leave the truck, that scope is in my pack whether hunting or just hiking/camping.
That is good feedback as thats exactly what i am considering; weight vs utility. My tactic will be the same, scan with binos, zoom in w spotter. I think youve helped me confirm my decision. Now the money part….

tracker12

WKR
I coming to believe that spotting scopes are a lot like boats. One just cant do it all. I went round and round and really wanted to buy a compact for there compactness and light weight🙄. But after looking thru so many spotters and reading numerous reviews and opinions I went with a used Swaro ATM 65. I had one for several years and sold it on a stupid moment. It is not that much bigger, not that much heavier and has advantages.

Last edited:
That is good feedback as thats exactly what i am considering; weight vs utility. My tactic will be the same, scan with binos, zoom in w spotter. I think youve helped me confirm my decision. Now the money part….
Of course, only you can determine what your wallet can withstand. As for myself, in a years time I'd forget the fact that I may have gone a bit over budget. I can say I'm confident that you won't regret going for the 553/554. Good luck.

Air Bear

FNG
I coming to believe that spotting scopes are a lot like boats. One just cant do it all. I went Rond and round and really wanted to buy a compact for what’s els than there compactness and light weight🙄. But after looking thru so many spotters and reading numerous reviews and opinions I went with a used Swaro ATM 65. I had one for several years and sold it on a stupid moment. Itas not that much bigger, not that much heavier and has advantages.
I couldnt agree more. There is no perfect one-size-fits-all tool, everything has its pros and cons