upgrade 10s or buy spotter/15s?

JStol5

WKR
Hi all,

Looking for advice from more seasoned/knowledgeable optics people. I have a pair of Maven C1 10x42s. I like them but I feel like I’m ready to upgrade. I hunt out west, and 10s off a tripod have served me well thus far.

Considering either adding a spotter/longer range binos or upgrading my 10s. This is my conundrum. I’m leaning towards upgrading the 10s as they would make up the bulk of my glassing, and I feel like a good spotter isn’t really in my budget (looking to stay within $1200 or so).

I’m looking hard at Maven B1.2 10x42s for my
Upgrade. I’m a fan of their optics and they’re within my price range.

So from those with more experience- is it worth it to buy something longer range (15s or spotter) or get better quality 10s for the time being? Leaning towards just upgrading my 10s for now. Appreciate your thoughts.

If 10x is doing what you want them to currently I see no reason to move to a different setup. Packing in two optics also doesn’t make much sense to me when weight and size matters and only having a spotter or 15’s kinda sucks for hunting. I would stick to 10’s for all around use and upgrade to alpha glass. You’re so close to what you can get clean used EL 10x42’s for that there’s literally zero reason not to go for them and never have to upgrade again.

nobody

WKR
100000% Buy some high dollar 10's and save up for everything else. Optical quality will gain you more than optical quantity. Buy their B6 10x50 for the improved low light performance, put them on a tripod with a decent head, and SLOW DOWN. You'll be lightyears ahead doing that compared to if you buy a cheap spotter, cheap tripod, and cheap binos.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
100000% Buy some high dollar 10's and save up for everything else. Optical quality will gain you more than optical quantity. Buy their B6 10x50 for the improved low light performance, put them on a tripod with a decent head, and SLOW DOWN. You'll be lightyears ahead doing that compared to if you buy a cheap spotter, cheap tripod, and cheap binos.
I have a great tripod already squared away. At this point it’s deciding if I want to upgrade my 10s or add something longer range. Good call on checking out the 10x50s.

My vote is upgrading 10’s, primary glass needs to be as good as I can realistically own. If you spend most of your time behind 10’s, getting them as good as you can will make you the most satisfied. Save for other glass once you have your primary optics dialed.

If you don’t have a functional tripod, that’s a big deal too

nobody

WKR
I have a great tripod already squared away. At this point it’s deciding if I want to upgrade my 10s or add something longer range. Good call on checking out the 10x50s.
Even then, my answer stands. Buy your $1200 binos instead of a $600 bino and a $600 spotter.

Your C1's are the functional and optical equivalent to every $600 bino at the sporting goods store, so you won't be upgrading there.

Good high-mag binos start at around +/- $1600 (for the B.5's). So if you're willing to jump your budget to that level, then you'll have something worth using. Otherwise, everything else will probably cause headaches in the long run.

The spotter for $1200 gives you a few decent options, but you're still way better off long term to get really really REALLY nice binos first and never even buy a spotter if it comes down to it. I hunt a ton every fall, elk and mule deer in multiple states. My spotter went on 1 trip with me this year, a 3rd season Colorado Mule Deer tag. I just don't use the spotter much while hunting. When I need it, I really need it. But I can usually get along just fine with my high dollar chest binos, 10x50's.

Those C.1's are solid binos no doubt, I had a pair for a couple years and didn't feel like they held me back. But I'm glad I upgraded, and I'm glad I put the emphasis on my chest binos first, because it's the only observation optic that goes on EVERY scouting and hunting trip with me.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
My vote is upgrading 10’s, primary glass needs to be as good as I can realistically own. If you spend most of your time behind 10’s, getting them as good as you can will make you the most satisfied. Save for other glass once you have your primary optics dialed.

If you don’t have a functional tripod, that’s a big deal too

I have a Sirui with a VA-5, it's great.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Even then, my answer stands. Buy your $1200 binos instead of a $600 bino and a $600 spotter.

Your C1's are the functional and optical equivalent to every $600 bino at the sporting goods store, so you won't be upgrading there.

Good high-mag binos start at around +/- $1600 (for the B.5's). So if you're willing to jump your budget to that level, then you'll have something worth using. Otherwise, everything else will probably cause headaches in the long run.

The spotter for $1200 gives you a few decent options, but you're still way better off long term to get really really REALLY nice binos first and never even buy a spotter if it comes down to it. I hunt a ton every fall, elk and mule deer in multiple states. My spotter went on 1 trip with me this year, a 3rd season Colorado Mule Deer tag. I just don't use the spotter much while hunting. When I need it, I really need it. But I can usually get along just fine with my high dollar chest binos, 10x50's.

Those C.1's are solid binos no doubt, I had a pair for a couple years and didn't feel like they held me back. But I'm glad I upgraded, and I'm glad I put the emphasis on my chest binos first, because it's the only observation optic that goes on EVERY scouting and hunting trip with me.
Did you go from C.1s to B.5s?

Just went through this exact debate myself in the last month. I wound up upgrading the binos. Figured it's more important for my primary glassing option to be higher quality before I start thinking about spotters that I probably won't even carry most of the time. Wound up with Kowa 10.5x44s myself, got them on the forum here for probably same price as the Mavens you're looking at. I haven't had them on a hunt yet, so I can't speak to their performance in the field, but they sure look nice just looking at street signs down the road.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Probably getting 10x50 B6s for main optic, using freehand and off a tripod. I think this is the best option in my price range and with what I’m looking for.