Need Help: SFP Hunting Scope w/exposed turrets.

Dualsight

FNG
My 2 cents.

OP, your last sentence gave four criteria pertaining to: 1) reasonable weight; 2) magnification; 3) price; and 4) exposed turrets. You gave a range except for the weight, and since you used Leupold as an example, I'm going to assume 19 to 20 oz. is the reasonable weight you are looking for. If that is the case, then your choices are going to be narrowed down. That can be a good thing. If you are looking at getting a 30mm tube, that is really going to narrow the field.

Nightforce make great scopes, but are probably more costly and heavier than what you are looking for. The SHV can be had for under $1000, but not after taxes or other costs are added.

Four scopes listed in this thread: Trijicon Credo; Tract Toric UHD; Burris Signature/Veracity HD; and (the new) Vortex Viper HD seem to fit the criteria you listed. The Trijicon is arguably the best of the lot, although the cost is very similar to the Nightforce SHV’s. Weight-wise these scopes are in the 20 to 23 oz. range.

Before going and looking in a store, you might first want to list what other features are most desirable, such as tool-less return-to-zero, zero-stop, illumination, reticle options, throw levers, etc. Then go look at them in the store. That way you have a clear picture of details you may otherwise overlook.

A place like Cabela’s, or similar, would be a great place to go. Cabela’s/Bass Pro Shop offer a 60-day return policy. I believe that is a “not-mounted” return policy. Looking through the scope in a store will not tell you much. Bringing it home to for close inspection, dusk/dawn viewing, feeling how they adjust, etc. for several days/weeks is a lot more helpful. It is not as helpful as mounting it and taking a bunch of shots, but we are talking 100% full refund if you are not satisfied.

Kyguy

FNG
My 2 cents.

OP, your last sentence gave four criteria pertaining to: 1) reasonable weight; 2) magnification; 3) price; and 4) exposed turrets. You gave a range except for the weight, and since you used Leupold as an example, I'm going to assume 19 to 20 oz. is the reasonable weight you are looking for. If that is the case, then your choices are going to be narrowed down. That can be a good thing. If you are looking at getting a 30mm tube, that is really going to narrow the field.

Nightforce make great scopes, but are probably more costly and heavier than what you are looking for. The SHV can be had for under $1000, but not after taxes or other costs are added.

Four scopes listed in this thread: Trijicon Credo; Tract Toric UHD; Burris Signature/Veracity HD; and (the new) Vortex Viper HD seem to fit the criteria you listed. The Trijicon is arguably the best of the lot, although the cost is very similar to the Nightforce SHV’s. Weight-wise these scopes are in the 20 to 23 oz. range.

Before going and looking in a store, you might first want to list what other features are most desirable, such as tool-less return-to-zero, zero-stop, illumination, reticle options, throw levers, etc. Then go look at them in the store. That way you have a clear picture of details you may otherwise overlook.

A place like Cabela’s, or similar, would be a great place to go. Cabela’s/Bass Pro Shop offer a 60-day return policy. I believe that is a “not-mounted” return policy. Looking through the scope in a store will not tell you much. Bringing it home to for close inspection, dusk/dawn viewing, feeling how they adjust, etc. for several days/weeks is a lot more helpful. It is not as helpful as mounting it and taking a bunch of shots, but we are talking 100% full refund if you are not satisfied.
I like this reply.... BUT..... I don't know about Cabela's/Bass Pro in your area, at the one in mine, the only thing they have in the cases are Swarovski, Ziess Leupold, Vortex, the store brand, and every so often, a Burris Droptine or a few Bushnell. Though, I did see a Burris Veracity PH last time I was there. Online retailers like Europtic and Cameraland have return policies, as long as the scope wasn't mounted. I've never returned to Cameraland, but have to Europtic several times and they're a dream to work with. I do know that Tract also offers a full return as long as it wasn't mounted.