Need a new truck, what’s good?

Holy moly!! After reading these posts maybe I’ll just keep cramming the kids into the backseat of my Taco.
I went through this exercise and decided to stay with the 2010 Tundra. I just don’t trust any of the new vehicles enough to drop $45-55k, and then be out of warranty in three years for some $50 sensor to go out that needs $2k in labor.

SDHNTR

WKR
Current owner of a 2024 TRD Pro. Don’t have any of the above complaints and really enjoy my truck. However, I would still advise potential buyers to wait until 2025 or 2026 depending on how this engine recall gets resolved or if it spreads. Not something I’d be willing to gamble on especially with other strong options like the 3.0 diesel from GM.
Put it in 4H and climb a long moderate hill going between 10-15mph. Watch your right side trans gauge. I would be very curious to hear of your results.

I got a 7.3 F250 Tremor in '21...MPG is gonna depend on your driving style...if I drive it like I stole it 11-13 empty. If I drive like grandpa and use crusie a lot 15-17 empty. I just rolled 56k and other than the POS transmission pan heat sheilds I have had zero issues. I also suggest plan on upgrading the factory gas tank to the Transferflow 58 gallon. The stock on is only like 38 gallons not good for off road trips in 4x4.
I’m leaning towards that one or maybe the newer 6.8L, assuming it proves to be reliable. Seems more realistic than searching for a cherry v8 Tundra to only get the comparable MPGs and a big hit with towing

schmalzy

WKR
I’m not in the market now, but probably will be in a few years. How are the 3/4 gas trucks these days?

I would think empty MPG couldn’t really be much worse than a v8 Tundra and would handle towing better — fully loaded my trailer is just about the top of my comfort range with my current v8 F150 on mountain roads

Got a 23 Chevy 2500hd gasser 4x4. 13-14 hwy and city mixed. Roughly 10mpg pulling a uhaul tandem axle enclosed trailer.

Have 7 or so of them in our fleet and honestly have nothing bad to say. They get driven hard too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice truck. Pops has 330K on his 06 before a distracted driver totaled it. I had 230k on my 04 then sold it. They were both the same color as yours. The seats in the 04 were vastly superior. Not sure why all new seats are stiff as a boner but its problematic IMO.
Thanks, bought this a few months ago. One owner, 102k on it. The color has really grown on me, hides dirt extremely well. Have every service record since 06. Clean 3rd gen’s are getting harder and harder to find. I sold my 07 5.9, g56 truck a coupe years ago during Covid when prices where crazy. Had 125k on it and got 40k cash for it haha. I was happy to find this one to say the least. Paid 20k cash and worth every penny to me. I’ve had a pile of dmax, powerstrokes and Cummins and the 3rd gen 5.9 are my favorite trucks. Simple, yet modern enough if that makes sense.IMG_8232.jpeg

Put it in 4H and climb a long moderate hill going between 10-15mph. Watch your right side trans gauge. I would be very curious to hear of your results.
I’ve seen someone else talk about the trans temp issue as well so I’ll have to see this upcoming hunting season. Didn’t notice anything last October but may have also missed it.

21 GMC Sierra 1500 with the boring old 5.3. Heard all the horror stories but so far I love it
There’s a reason why they have been around so long. Excellent motors but like every motor they all have their quirks

I would like to drive the new 3.0 mini max in a 1500. Have a 20 4Runner, 24 3500 duramax(work pickup), and a 05 2500 Cummins in the driveway. I’ve owned or been assigned a few vehicles aswell. I personally don’t like f150s but if it’s highway you’ll be fine, heavy gravel I’ve had front ends go bad. Dodges front ends and lack luster components are a bummer. I like the HD GM’s for an all around. New one is getting 18 mpg smooth shifting 10 speed and rides as well as the f150 I had last on the gravel.

I love wife’s 4Runner but it’s just a fishing/mountians, roadtrip, and town vehicle.

New vehicles are terrible to work on but take care of them, they still do last, and they will take care of you.

Diesel motor goes 250k with few issues in my mind. Gas on these new motors seem to go down hill at 150-175k if you’re taking care and not beating them up.

Last edited:
I’m leaning towards that one or maybe the newer 6.8L, assuming it proves to be reliable. Seems more realistic than searching for a cherry v8 Tundra to only get the comparable MPGs and a big hit with towing
If you gonna do any towing at all get the 7.3 with the super duty tranny...the 6.8 still have the F150 tranny. Last time I checked it 6.8 was only offered on the XL trim.

Would love a new truck especially the new Duramax 3.0 but my old 95 5.9 diesel ram has 380.000 miles runs like a top no problem still original clutch. $ 70.000 for a new half ton truck scares me who knows maybe a million miles is attainable with the old 95.

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
For sure, My Godzilla got 4 mpg . It was a large service truck.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 726689View attachment 726690View attachment 726691
Sold my 23 f150 and went back to a 3rd gen Cummins. Did minor upgrades. Apple car play, full leather interior, tonneau cover. Seat motor was broke when I bought it. 78 bucks and 30 mins later it’s good as new. I would rather have a payed off truck that I can work on and maintain compared to the new stuff. Seat motor for the newer ford was over 400 bucks brand new….i can’t stand all the newer tech and electronics. Plus the emessions is a nightmare on the new stuff.
My kinda guy. Whenever I get a new truck it'll be a 1st Gen Sierra (or whatever the 99-07 style was) because I can actually work on things. Til then my 93 will work just fine, but it's getting to where it needs a new wiring harness and rear end replaced.

If you gonna do any towing at all get the 7.3 with the super duty tranny...the 6.8 still have the F150 tranny. Last time I checked it 6.8 was only offered on the XL trim.
The new 6.8L Ford V-8 is mated to a 10R100 transmission. It's not the same tranny as the one in F-150's. It's the same tranny behind the outgoing 6.2 V-8 except it's a 10 speed and is rated to 790 lb. ft of torque. The 6 speed was one of Ford's best transmissions so the 10 speed should prove to be reliable also.

The new 6.8L Ford V-8 is mated to a 10R100 transmission. It's not the same tranny as the one in F-150's. It's the same tranny behind the outgoing 6.2 V-8 except it's a 10 speed and is rated to 790 lb. ft of torque. The 6 speed was one of Ford's best transmissions so the 10 speed should prove to be reliable also.
Correct not the super duty trans,10R140, that's comes on 7.3 and 6.7 rated for 1400lbs of torque. I thought saw somewhere it was going into the new 150s too, my mistake.

For the record I got 60k on my 10R140 behind the 7.3 with zero issues.

Weldor

WKR
7.3 Ford 7.3 gas torque rating 475 ft lbs. According to Ford. Powerstroke 1050 lbs.

I went through this exercise and decided to stay with the 2010 Tundra. I just don’t trust any of the new vehicles enough to drop $45-55k, and then be out of warranty in three years for some $50 sensor to go out that needs $2k in labor.

That's why I'm still driving 2008's. One Tacoma and one F150.

Regular service and drive them conservatively and they last.

We use diesels for work. Have settled on super duty’s for now. Mostly diesels and have one 7.3 gas in the mix. They have been excellent. I have a 23 f150 5.0. To new to talk about longevity. I ordered with the 3.73 gears and would recommend going that route. Very little highway driving and the first 10k miles show 20.3 mpg.

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Me? I’d keep the Tacoma. My son and I have zero problems fitting all our hunting stuff in the back. Cab wise, I’m 6’ he’s 6’1. Again not cramped and we have added another adult hunter from time to time. My only complaint is that I wish I’d have gotten the 6’ bed. Gear and dead stuff does get a bit crowded. 2011 SR5 4x4 quad cab.