Need a new truck, what’s good?

I have a '22 F150 Powerboost hybrid 6.5' bed FX4 with the 7kW battery and power outlets in the bed. I could run a whole job site plugged in to the back of my truck.

I get 25+mpg, but I take it easy.

Wish the electric motors had a little more power, but overall I love it. Huge rear bench.

Seth

WKR
‘23 Tundra Limited, TRD off road. 36k trouble free miles. I use it in the pit at a coal mine so it sees plenty of harsh conditions. Time will tell on reliability, but my last truck was a ‘20 Ram 1500 and it had been in the shop twice at this point. Emissions rules have certainly added complexity and cost to new trucks, and that likely hits reliability in the long run as well.

TxLite

WKR
I’d be buying a 2020-2021 5.7 Tundra with like 30k miles. The 5.7 is a proven performer (also a gas hog, so get one with the bigger tank), newer models have had a ton of problems. My 2012 has been incredibly reliable and I have zero desire to get rid of it.

Anything GM would not be in the running.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
My 23 Silverado 1500 company truck is up to 55k with nothing but oil changes, turbo 4 cylinder. Low 20’s mpg consistently. I’ve never been a Chevy fan, but if someone wasn’t going to tow much it’s been working out well.

I bought a 24 tundra for my personal truck that’s also been trouble free so far, but only 4K on it. I chose Toyota simply because they had double cabs with 6.5’ beds on the lots and willing to deal. That configuration would have been a special order here with Ford and Chevy.

INshooter

FNG
‘23 Tundra Limited, TRD off road. 36k trouble free miles. I use it in the pit at a coal mine so it sees plenty of harsh conditions. Time will tell on reliability, but my last truck was a ‘20 Ram 1500 and it had been in the shop twice at this point. Emissions rules have certainly added complexity and cost to new trucks, and that likely hits reliability in the long run as well.
I just test drove a ‘24 yesterday. My wife has a ‘22 4Runner TRD Off-road and it’s my favorite vehicle we have ever had. I loved the tundras power, but just didn’t like some of the nuances inside the tundra for some reason. At least on a $75k truck. (Hate to say that as I’m a Toyota fan boy now.)

Stalker69

WKR
So my take on this, looks like, you spend 50-80 thousand on what ever truck you " like". Save up money while it's brand new. So you can repair it ( most seem to have known issues that are pretty costly), and hopefully pay it off before it's totally toast. Good lord it's crazy what we consider acceptable now days. I'll keep driving a toyota r22 with 278,000 miles on it and a 96 f350 crew cab with just over 100,000 as long as possibly can.

Last edited:

WRO

WKR
Holy moly!! After reading these posts maybe I’ll just keep cramming the kids into the backseat of my Taco.

It’s been less than 1% of trucks that actually lost their engines. It’s been better since 22 as well with incidences going down significantly.

Toyota is fanatical about recalls, unlike Chevy and ford that have very known issues that they just ****** their buyers on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nhtsa mandates recalls. Don't think Toyota voluntarily does theirs because they are a better company. It's all dollars and cents. Fyi.. 9 recalls on 2022 tundra alone.

Could check out the new Nissan Titans? Lots of guys seem to like them. I don’t have much experience the current gen but I have a 2016 Frontier 6spd that has totally won me over

ScottP76

FNG
Had a 22 Tremor built through Ford I removed leather seats, sunroof and start/stop. Items that sometimes get gremlins. 50k miles and no issues but I do regular oil changes/maintenance. It is tuned through MPT to fix the annoying shifting. Only thing I wish I would have waited for was ICON’s leveling kit and not gone with Pro Comp.
IMG_9772.jpeg

Ucsdryder

WKR
Nhtsa mandates recalls. Don't think Toyota voluntarily does theirs because they are a better company. It's all dollars and cents. Fyi.. 9 recalls on 2022 tundra alone.
2022 F150 show 14 recalls. Seems like ford has a recall every week lately.

It’s been less than 1% of trucks that actually lost their engines. It’s been better since 22 as well with incidences going down significantly.

Toyota is fanatical about recalls, unlike Chevy and ford that have very known issues that they just ****** their buyers on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Refer to my previous posts about the 2006 Tacoma leaf springs....Toyota laughs at you until a recall is required by NHTSA then said Eff You on reimbursing you for the $1100 you spent out of pocket to fix their pathetic parts.
Toyota does not wear the halo as many fanbois believe.

WRO

WKR
Refer to my previous posts about the 2006 Tacoma leaf springs....Toyota laughs at you until a recall is required by NHTSA then said Eff You on reimbursing you for the $1100 you spent out of pocket to fix their pathetic parts.
Toyota does not wear the halo as many fanbois believe.

Chevys - Cam lifters, transmission failures, engine management system failures
Ford - Cam phasers, heater blender cores, manifolds, etc

None of those were ever offered to be covered by recall even though more trucks than not got them.

While I am sorry that 18 years ago you didn’t get your aftermarket leaf spring purchase reimbursed, Toyota did mine on my 16 and replaced my needle bearing that went out because I lifted my truck.