Need a new truck, what’s good?

IdahoBeav

WKR
Refer to my previous posts about the 2006 Tacoma leaf springs....Toyota laughs at you until a recall is required by NHTSA then said Eff You on reimbursing you for the $1100 you spent out of pocket to fix their pathetic parts.
Toyota does not wear the halo as many fanbois believe.
Why would you spend $1,100 on leaf packs? You can buy OME Dakars for less than half of that, and it's a quick, easy install. IMO, the leaf pack thing is way over exaggerated by Detroit fanboys. The frame rust issue would be a much better gripe, but that problem hasn't been present for some years.

I have a '14 Tacoma. The most expensive repair or maintenance so far has been the price of the diff oil I use. At 150k miles, the original clutch is still going strong. The spark plugs were swapped at 120k per the manual. The fuel filter lasts the life of the vehicle.

My wife's '20 Explorer had three (found so far) issues of incomplete assembly from the factory, and the console screen had to be replaced at 35k miles. Luckily, Ford took care of that, but I have a buddy with an '18 that recently had the same issue at 60k miles. It cost him $1,700.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'll just buy one for $15k, drive it ten years, fix anything that breaks and I still won't spend $50k with all the gas, tires, oil changes, brakes and even a new engine. But think of that 5mpg I could have saved.
I’ve been trying to talk someone into this same deal. Buying a used truck for 40k with all the bells and whistles when he can buy a truck for less than 20k. Put that extra 20k in investments and buy yourself a damn sheep hunt when you retire for 100k.

Idaboy

WKR
I'm just here to make sure the EPA and CAFE gets some blame too... their standards are at the root of diminished reliability and increased service cost across all manufacturers.
How does the EPA share blame for EB junk cam phaser and the bad manifolds? My manifold didn't even last 75k

For just a good power train and easy on the wallet the 90s z71 with 350 vortec if you can find low miles.
There’s one near me in mint condition with 88000 on it.
Its high at 21500 but not crazy considering.

king402

FNG
Not to Sidetrack the thread, but what the hell is with Ford and Cam phasers?
I thought that was more specific to the 5.4.
Does the 5.0 not have cam phaser issues?
Same boat here. Trying to decide between the 2024 Tundra and Tacoma........

Having been am all makes/models tech for over 20 years...everything is absolute an absolute sh%t sandwich these days...pick your flavor, take a bite and smile...and buy the extra warranty and have a good back up cause you'll probably need it.
I get asked this question ALL the time and all i can say is Quality across the board has been terrible for last 2-3years. The 22+ tundras are certainly no exception, and I tend to lean toyota for 1/2 ton trucks.
If someone gave me a GM product newer than 2006 I'd sell it to the first person that came along wanting it. When the GM techs and parts guys are telling you they don't know how the company is still in business, that says something to me.

If I were buying a 1/2ton truck, based on what I've seen, it'd be a '14-22 tundra non flex fuel 5.7l or a pre'22 5.0l f150...or a 3/4 ton 6.2l gas f250.
Nothing from anyone '22 and newer does much for me especially forbthevasking prices and even the ones I mentioned have their issues, just not typically as many major ones.

I work in the independent world so we don't see the new new stuff much, but I make a point to read as much as I get time to on all sorts of forums to get an idea what's headed our way...and most of its pretty ugly honestly.

Best of luck, I don't envy anyone looking for a truck these days, but I hope you find something your happy with.

IdahoBeav

WKR
"DETROIT (AP) — Ford is recalling more than 550,000 pickup trucks in the U.S. because the transmissions can unexpectedly downshift to first gear no matter how fast the trucks are going."

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
"DETROIT (AP) — Ford is recalling more than 550,000 pickup trucks in the U.S. because the transmissions can unexpectedly downshift to first gear no matter how fast the trucks are going."

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Ford only has minor recalls. Not a big deal.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Chevys - Cam lifters, transmission failures, engine management system failures
Ford - Cam phasers, heater blender cores, manifolds, etc

None of those were ever offered to be covered by recall even though more trucks than not got them.

While I am sorry that 18 years ago you didn’t get your aftermarket leaf spring purchase reimbursed, Toyota did mine on my 16 and replaced my needle bearing that went out because I lifted my truck.
He’ll never get over it. 😂

KenLee

WKR
For just a good power train and easy on the wallet the 90s z71 with 350 vortec if you can find low miles.
There’s one near me in mint condition with 88000 on it.
Its high at 21500 but not crazy considering.
My 99 Classic (98 leftover) GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 has 91k miles on it.
Never thought I'd own a truck 25 years, but I've also had many others during those 25 yrs.