Need a new truck- no clue what direction

TSAMP

WKR
I get a little better than 13/15 out my 7.3 F250 empty...and it has 4.30 gears, 35" tires, and 2" lift...I looked at Tundras before I got my 250...The mpg vs payload/towing and the 90s era interior was a hard stop for me. I gave up on Tundras when they went to the turbo V6 and got the 7.3 F250. There is no replacement for displacement.
How is the ride quality on your 250 though?
Not to be rude but I see many people who could go with a half ton based on their payload needs end up in a 3/4 ton and wonder why. Personally I like the look and could benefit from the increase in bed space but the ride quality has always ran me.

Mainly talking offroad gravels/dirt. My experience has been they ride so stiff it'll rattle a filling loose.

Not to be rude but I see many people who could go with a half ton based on their payload needs end up in a 3/4 ton and wonder why. Personally I like the look and could benefit from the increase in bed space but the ride quality has always ran me.

Mainly talking offroad gravels/dirt. My experience has been they ride so stiff it'll rattle a filling loose.

hard to beat a carli suspension and either 35 or 37 tires at 45/40psi.

i wouldnt go less then king pintop though

It's rides exactly like you think it would for a solid axel truck. Decreasing the air pressure in the tires helps a lot it your not towing. 80psi in the rear is ridiculous if your not towing, but that's what Ford sets it at from the factory..I run 55 in the front and 65 in the rear when not towing/hauling and its fine. I have had mine all over NM and WY FS roads no issues other than the occasional cattle guard surprise and the back tire coming off the ground going down switch backs. I probably drive a little faster than most as it smooths out the washboards. Trial cruise is great option..set it on 3/4mph pick you line and let it 4wd with the rear locker do the work. Off road I am more concerned about its weight than the ride.

tom338

FNG
I'm in the market for a new truck. I won't be buying a 3/4 ton or a diesel even though I tow a lot. Figure it out, they are just not worth it. Yes you do get longevity with a diesel but the extra cost of the engine and the difference of fuel prices add up fast. I've been driving a F150 eco boost 3.5 for a while now and will probably get another one. Lots of power, yes milage sucks when towing. I pulled my 16 foot enclosed with a f 250 once and found that it only got 11mpg vs my 8-9 3.5. eco boost. Do the math. Where I live today gas is 3.18 and diesel is 4.09. If you need a cheap truck look at a Ram classic.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think you are dreaming. Not being a wise guy. But, with extended payment plans and a used market that gets more demand everyday, I don’t see it.
Short term used prices are sky rocketing. Back to the supply and demand. You won’t see a price decrease until October and it will peak around may.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
The most reliable vehicle you can own now days is a 3/4 ton truck with a big bore gasser engine and drive/use it like a half ton truck 99% of the time. Modern diesels are far from reliable long term. All the modern emissions stuff is terrible for power train longevity, ask me how I found that one out the hard way. I'd go with a heavy half ton setup or a 3/.4 ton gasser setup all day long. Only get a modern diesel if you tow heavy loads on a weekly basis.

if I wasn't in a rush and wanted a new truck i'd order a Tundra SR trim 4x4. i think they are around 43-44k. Just what you need and nothing you don;t.

Wrongside

WKR
So deep downtown stop & go lots of traffic, go, speed up slow down ,stop, repeat, … 8-10. Regular stop and go not in heavy traffic 10-13, steady 58-62mph on cruise 18-19, steady 68-71 on cruise 16-18. Add a head wind on the fwy and take off 1-2mpg. This is with LT275/70r18’s. Heavier and taller than stock and a hard tonneau cover.

Pure stock with the 275/65r18’s, no tonneau and not all the skids/sliders I added. I got 17.7mpg Portland to LaGrande, OR, a freeway trip almost all up hill with one pass. Cruise set at 71 that trip. Then added tires and lost 2mpg, added tonneau and gained 1-1.5mpg. Now with all the extra weight from armor and larger LT tires and tonneau, my average tank is 50/50 city/hwy and 15mpg +/-. All freeway, 17 ish+
Based on my experience, I'd say Tmac is pretty close.

My 2016 is coil-over lifted 2", SDHQ sliders, some skids, 275/70 ATs, ARE cap, with a fair daily load of recovery gear & tools- and depending on the roads/terrain/weather that trip I average somewhere between 15-19 MPG. Winter mix fuel, studded winters and increased idle times are factors as well, mileage is quite bit better in spring, summer and early fall.

The most reliable vehicle you can own now days is a 3/4 ton truck with a big bore gasser engine and drive/use it like a half ton truck 99% of the time. Modern diesels are far from reliable long term. All the modern emissions stuff is terrible for power train longevity, ask me how I found that one out the hard way. I'd go with a heavy half ton setup or a 3/.4 ton gasser setup all day long. Only get a modern diesel if you tow heavy loads on a weekly basis.
Agreed...only issue, at least with Fords, is the 6.9' bed 3/4 ton gas trucks only have a 34ish gallon tank, sucks when do have to tow or in the mountains in 4wd. I just swapped my OEM plastic tank out for 58 gallon steel tank....at 15mpg hwy I get 850ish miles out of a tank.

Last edited:

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I am hoping the new Ram Dakota will an on- frame truck with a 6' + bed available in crew cab. If it will 300+ hp , I might have to buy one. You can get all this in the new frontier but I drove one and it was "nice" but no wow factor. Didn't care for the heavy steering and fuel mileage no better than the full size gas truck in spite of smaller size and 100 less hp.

Marble

WKR
We have an entire fleet of diesel trucks and DEF hasn't affected any reliability for us.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Bluefish

WKR
I recently went through a downsizing of vehicles. Went from 3, 1 ton diesel van, phev, and ev to a Tacoma (6sp manual) and a Volvo xc40. So far been pleased with the changeover. The van was older, 01 with about 200k so it was non emission 7.3L. Could tow and haul about anything and then the other two were daily drivers and trips. Would have liked a 3/4 ton diesel 4 dr long box, but thats just too much $$ and I don’t tow anything heavy. 4K boat 2x per year.
The Tacoma was ”reasonable“ at $36k. Didn’t get leather or heated seats as that added almost $4k. Also was limited in choices as not many trucks left with manuals. Really just Tacoma and jeep. Hate automatics and don’t drive in traffic regularly.
the Tacoma is decent milage, 20-21mpg,has decent power. It’s a bit rough but better than my 2000 taco which was awful. Have about 20k miles on it with no major complaints or issues.
for trips we use the xc40 as it gets 30 ish and has a better ride. It is rated to tow 3000 lbs, about double what a crv or rav4 will pull, so it can be used for a small enclosed trailer if needed, just can’t pull the boat.

Not to be rude but I see many people who could go with a half ton based on their payload needs end up in a 3/4 ton and wonder why.
Can't speak for everyone but while I tow occasionally with my gas 3/4 ton (and never have to worry about being overloaded), I buy the 3/4 ton for the heavier frames and suspension. Roads aren't great, forrest service roads even worse. Most frequently used 1/2 tons can get pretty beat up driving off pavement (unless they upgrade components). Stock 3/4 ton trucks vs stock 1/2 ton (I've got enough expensive habits, don't need to add dressing up my trucks to the list) , in my experience, require less front end work and simply ride better on the rough stuff.

If sticking to pavement and no towing, yes a 1/2 ton will suffice the majority of time for many, but that's not me.

If I can find an 02-06, 3/4 ton, 4x4, quad cab long box Chevy without rust, at the same time the cash is available, dropping a rebuilt 6.0 and upgrading a few items along with a high rise topper is definately an option I'd like to consider.

hunterjmj

WKR
We have a 17' 1/2 Chevy crew for the wife. 09' 3/4 Chevy crew for towing, hauling stuff around and hunting trips. SxS for plowing, doing stuff around the house, and cruising blm roads on the weekends. Seems like a good mix of vehicles. 🤷‍♂️ The prices of new vehicles is insane and hate the thought of buying another some day.

madcalfe

WKR
jeez dump 10g into that 84 square body and you'll probably have a truck that outlasts anything today and can easily be worked on with a crescent wrench and hammer and cheap to fix lol. only downside is the gas guzzling 350. my biggest regret was selling off my 80' square body.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
We have an entire fleet of diesel trucks and DEF hasn't affected any reliability for us.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Its not the DEF that's the main issue, its the EGR going out not to mention turbo failures. But back to it, the EGR is what kills longevity of modern diesel engines. They simply don't make them to go 500,000 miles anymore. You're damn lucky to get 200,000 miles before something major happens. I've been told several times by different manufacturers reps that modern gassers combined with 9 and 10 speed transmissions should get you at least 300,000 miles before any major engine work needs to be done. I'm not talking about minor issues or nuisance issues that pop up. I'm talking about the serious powertrain issues - gassers should go 300K as the new standard from what used to be 100K. I had a modern diesel 4 years ago and once it hit 150,000 miles, it was one major issue after the other. EGR failure, turbo failure, then DEF system. I maintained it impeccably too. Nope, not for me.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
15.5 mpg out of 2017 Tundra with 10ply tires & a topper w/heavy front bumper. Similar mileage with 2021 Tundra w/same setup. You won't be sorry buying a Tundra...have run multiple Tacomas...would choose Tundra every time.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Robw79

FNG
Open to most kinds of trucks here. Have a 2010 Chevy 1500 and have taken it to Wyoming 3 times , Colorado 4 times, and all over the flat land state of MN where I live and have only put in a water pump. At 200k now and hoping to get something within the next year. Pretty open as well. Downside is wheel wells starting to rust like a lot of trucks in this state because of salt on the roads in winter. Although fords around the same year don’t seem to rust as much