Nastiest Mountain Ranges in North America

Wind Rivers is one range that is high on my list...always heard they are nasty boogers, never been up in em.....

HUNTNUT

FNG
This is the backcountry army of knowledge in my opinion.... so what is everyone’s thoughts on the gnarliest more rugged ranges or smaller sub/branching chains of mountains in North America where you’ve hunted, hiked, or camped?
30 years ago I put a note in my backpack to NEVER backpack/hunt above timberline in the Sangres again. 12,000-14000 ft was too much for me. Did it agin this year at 59yrs old.

Surprised to see this one on here honestly.. I live at the base of the south slope and play all over this range!

I'm just throwing some stuff out there for comparison purposes....however this range does stand out in my mind....been slowly bagging the highest points in each western state, UT is the one I attempted and failed at...solo October ascent north side King's Peak...weather utterly kicked my ass and sent me packing, so I do consider it a gnarly range, not a walk in the park...

amp713

WKR
I'm just throwing some stuff out there for comparison purposes....however this range does stand out in my mind....been slowly bagging the highest points in each western state, UT is the one I attempted and failed at...solo October ascent north side King's Peak...weather utterly kicked my ass and sent me packing, so I do consider it a gnarly range, not a walk in the park...

Ya kings can be a sketchy spot even mid summer sometimes!!

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be in the sangres in 3 weeks..... I was wondering if they’d be mentioned on here. I only camped in them for a night and it turned into almost a survival situation lol
How did you end up fairing in the Sangre's? Beautiful country and hoping for a summer scouting trip out there this up coming year with the changes coming to archery in the SW of CO.

TravisIN

WKR
How did you end up fairing in the Sangre's? Beautiful country and hoping for a summer scouting trip out there this up coming year with the changes coming to archery in the SW of CO.

Pm sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BeastOfTheTrees

got Murdered, to be fair tho only got to hunt 3 days. Very narrow range with extreme vertical drainages. Take ya all day to get into one and check most spots out. Ran into horse traffic deep, heavy pressure, the Deckers Fire has all the animals moving differently, from what I’m told that is, I just never saw anything, some places especially near the refuge are almost straight up climbing.

I spent 10 years doing remote river surveys in Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, Montana and Alaska. I’ve been to most of the places that have popped up on this thread not only for work but for backpacking and hunting as well. In my experience some of the hardest places were the Brooks Range, the Olympics, lots of dense devils club and Vine Maple to slow down progress, not to mention you’re soaked constantly and after a couple days of that it wears you down mentally. Aleutian Range Alaska, similar to the Olympics. Wind River Range, steep and descent elevation gains. Sangres, Raggeds, San Juan’s, just steep and the high elevation and exposure beats you up. Hells Canyon, steep and hot. The Eagle Caps, just steeper than steep. The Frank and the Bob in my opinion never bothered me that much, beautiful places but the lack of elevation makes it easier for me, but then again I live at 9000 feet and play in the 10-12’000 range, so to each their own.

Also lived in Virginia for 4 years and to you eastern folks, the Appalachians can be a total shit show as well, brushy and full of bugs, reminds me of some days in AK. We are all just lucky to be able bodied to enjoy all these places. My next 20 years I would like to focus on some of the Canadian Rockies and Northern Territories.
7adbb2dc794c13e1ecd074fc490f9a1f.jpg
9a3a98f5686c2da3ab8a92724b7cd038.jpg
ccca43b3ffe8cb92d73f0bd3d418779a.jpg
e1df9b3405c64338929b43144d9678ba.jpg
e35c0cfc03473c4757c95cc5362e0229.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sawtooths, Beartooths, and Tetons. Most scared was skiing left head wall Tuckerman Ravine on Mt. Washington. You know its nasty when they have interchangeable death toll numbers at base of mountain.