Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
I don't normally use trekking poles and, other than using sticks or a tree, has anybody found any other poles that will work for this shelter?

edg1967

WKR
Got it! Thanks Guys. Going to order another Ti Goat stove jack and keep it this time!

WKR
Got one on the way for $78. Less than a tank of gas for what looks like a very decent shelter. Will give it a go.

Anybody put a bug net or bathtub floor in one? I'm thinking I may need some bug protection for the kids to accompany me

kyle1112

WKR
How are these shelters in the rain? Thinkin about gettin one but being in western Washington where it rains a little bit I'm iffy lol

mt100gr.

WKR
Mine was waiting at home when I got off work. Played with it a little tonight and I am very impressed. The construction is really good; all the seams are really tight and reinforced where stress will be. For the money, I think it will be a darn fine mountain house. I'm excited to drag it out in the yard and set it up.

I must say, Roksliders know their chit. Thanks to everyone for providing so much info on all things "gear"

Im ready to try mine out one of these days.. I have a Ti goat bivy on the way too. So with the bivi and this shelter i should be good to go..

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Some Photos from last years scout, backpacking and hunting trips.

Last edited:
Nice pics James! I hate the color, hope it doesn't scare my horse. he, he.
But for the weight & price I figured, what the hell... hard to get hurt at that price.
Should roll right up inside my bed roll & have enough room for a guy, saddle & pads.

Now I just need to find a deal on a 6man tipi & stove.... and a couple pack mules
to pack the beer & ice.
Hunt'nFish

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
40d fabric. Ask SHTF about how his handled three thunderstorms and a hailstorm last fall.

Sorry I missed this till now.
Well My experience has been very positive with this shelter. Ive had 0 issues with it and it has held up well for me. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

What Ruck is referring to is we did a Continental divide 5 mile overnighter last year and we got Crapped on hardcore at 11,400 feet. It was a pretty wicked storm and at 11.4k altitude with the storm we had it was like being camped on the good lords door step. We had rain for hours, Hail and massive lightening. I slept great and stayed bone dry. Scottp on this site was also there and he had the Mountain LT also. Both of us weathered the storm just fine. Ive had the Mountain LT in close to 40mph winds at the edge of a lake and it did great. Others have had different Experiences so I will let them chime in if they feel the need. I have nothing but good things to say about this shelter. Probably the best value out there in a backpacking Shelter that I have personally Found.

Nice pics James! I hate the color, hope it doesn't scare my horse. he, he.
But for the weight & price I figured, what the hell... hard to get hurt at that price.
Should roll right up inside my bed roll & have enough room for a guy, saddle & pads.

Now I just need to find a deal on a 6man tipi & stove.... and a couple pack mules
to pack the beer & ice.
Hunt'nFish

Mike yeah man I wish they made this in an OD or Kryptek or Multicam option. It would be even better. Guess they went with the canary yellow incase you where trying to find the camp this would stand out like a sore thumb.

I never carry walking stick and don't plan on it... can you get a good tight pitch with sticks cut to size? Or is there an alternative to walking sticks?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I never carry walking stick and don't plan on it... can you get a good tight pitch with sticks cut to size? Or is there an alternative to walking sticks?

Yep I prefer the cut sticks also gives me something to hang my coat and light on. On the side of the tarp it gives you a reference on how long each poll should be for front and back. No issues doing it with a cut branch.