Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

Yep I prefer the cut sticks also gives me something to hang my coat and light on. On the side of the tarp it gives you a reference on how long each poll should be for front and back. No issues doing it with a cut branch.

Like its something that is printed on the tarp to measure the lengths of the sticks? Thats great.

I get worried about bugs with floorless. Wonder what it would be like to add bug netting around the bottom? How hard would it be and how much good would it do??? Ummm

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Yep its printed right on the tarp. I have a bug a frame net for mine. Haven't needed to use it though. Should work fine but you only know what will work for you so I will let you make that judgment call

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Bug_Bivy.JPG

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Thats made by daniel on Backpacking Light. I used it as a reference but golite used to make a bugnet just like this called the Golite Nest 2 Bugnet. I had one for a while I used to do summer nights in till the Sparks from a fire put a bunch of larger then wanted holes in it =-) Here is the Golite version

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi...ums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=46436

There are some great Bug Nests out there that will work great with most of the tarps on the market.

I think my current Net is a Sea to Summit. I bought it last year when the Bug reports where coming in as heavy. Then I ended up not even using it as the Bugs wherent bad at all especially when it rained the entire 6 days we where out.

If i had a real every time out use for a Bugnet Id be all over the Bearpaw it looks like an awesome piece.

http://bearpawwd.com/shelters_floors/net.html

Finally set mine up in the yard today. I think I am REALLY going to like this thing. Roomy for the weight, quality for the price (even at retail although I got mine at discount). Looking forward to getting it out in the woods soon.

got mine in the mail today and it seems pretty sweet. pitched it in the yard and I think I'm going to like it. Taking it this week for an overnighter we will see how it does

Finally set mine up in the yard today. I think I am REALLY going to like this thing. Roomy for the weight, quality for the price (even at retail although I got mine at discount). Looking forward to getting it out in the woods soon.
Same here, wow Campsaver is fast! Yes, quality construction for sure. The stake loops caught me off guard, little over kill there...prob 8oz in just the loops. Ha, ha. But probably means I can nix the stakes and cut limbs. Certainly not gonna hurt these stake loops!
Well worth the $$'s.
Hunt'nFish

Bmcox86

WKR
Man backcountry.com is fast, shipped it less 2 hours after I placed my order as I was about to add something!

muleman

WKR
Received the Mountain Shelter LT last week and finally got it set it up. Here are a couple of pictures with a DownMat UL 7 LW and a SynMat UL 9 LW. Both pads spec out at 78" x 26".
13987382647_fa51d1760b_b.jpg

The long wide pads fit side by side without touching the sides. The rear of the shelter is tight though. You would need to keep your feet towards the center to keep from touching the rear sides. If you move the pads a few inches into the vestibule then touching the rear is minimized but you get close to the front side of the vestibule. There is not much extra room with two long wide pads and I wouldn't want to have to sleep in the Mountain Shelter for any period of time with two big guys.
14171351392_3617e49d9e_b.jpg

With only yard time, I think this is a good shelter option for a solo tall (<= 6'4") guy, gear, and a stove or a couple of average sized guys and some gear.

I only have three Cons to the shelter.
  1. The taper of the fly. I wish that the fly did not taper and become narrow at the rear of the shelter. If it was straight it would handle taller people easier and reduce touching the sides of the shelter.
  2. As others have stated, I wish it was earth tone. My shelter is a light olive mustard color.
  3. The zipper is way up at the front of the vestibule. Unless you have orangutan arms it is a stretch to reach. I was not able to lay on the pad and open the shelter. I had to move forward to reach the zipper.
Considering features and price it is a nice shelter that is hard to pass up.

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone tell me what the two poles on this are supposed to be sized at? I am looking at adjustable pole options before I buy one.

My buddy just picked one of these up and he used it on a trip a few weeks back. Both of us were very impressed with it. It dwarfed my paratarp.