Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

WKR
I put ours up while visiting family in MO to see how big it was. It really seems to be a decent tarp and several family members are now in the hunt for one. Won't be long summer scouting trips will be here. Can't wait to try it out in the high country. We can make it fit two I think with no trouble. Not going the stove route though.

Hunter6

WKR
I'm interested in this tarp but don't use trekking poles and sometimes camp where trees are in short supply. Does any one recommend any collapsible poles for this tarp

AZGUY

Lil-Rokslider
For those who may need the info I emailed Mtn Smith and the poles need to be 40" on the rear and 53" on the front.

Clarktar

WKR
I wonder if Bear Paw designs could just sew in like 1 or 2 feet of no see-um mesh around the bottom perimeter. Then you could fold the excess mesh into the shelter and put gear etc on the edges and bugs would not be an issue. Seems like a alternative option to having the full blown interrior bug mesh "inner".

I wonder if Bear Paw designs could just sew in like 1 or 2 feet of no see-um mesh around the bottom perimeter. Then you could fold the excess mesh into the shelter and put gear etc on the edges and bugs would not be an issue. Seems like a alternative option to having the full blown interrior bug mesh "inner".

mike7 has this exact thing done on his luna? from bearpaw and in our conversations was very happy with it.

parshal

WKR
From Bearpaw's website:

cduomidnetting_1.jpg

cduomidnetting_2.jpg

cwildoasisfloor.jpg

Clarktar

WKR
PERFECT. I will contact them and see how much. 18 inches of perimeter netting sounds most excellent!

parshal

WKR
Not quite yet. I don't use the shelter enough to justify it. It's incredibly affordable, though. Downright cheap. Only $100 to put in a floor with the netting around the edges.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Even with Bugs last year I didnt have much of a problem with them coming in under the edges. Just when I left the door open. Brian when we where out at the Bug Traditional Fest (Like that? haha) No issue keeping them out of the Sawtooth either once I cleared them. I guess if your going to use the elevated Pitch I could see the need for this though.

Even with Bugs last year I didnt have much of a problem with them coming in under the edges. Just when I left the door open. Brian when we where out at the Bug Traditional Fest (Like that? haha) No issue keeping them out of the Sawtooth either once I cleared them. I guess if your going to use the elevated Pitch I could see the need for this though.
Ding, ding, ding..... and that right there is the reason why I'm going to sew a mesh perimeter around mine. Used mine for the first time up in the high cascades and it was a constant battle w/ the skeeters. Had to pitch low to ground to keep them out (which worked), but when I did that the shelter couldn't breathe and it got hot inside and I simply couldn't nap at all. A taller pitch to let the breeze blow in would've made a huge difference. I think if I swap out those ropes they call guylines, I should be able to make up most of the mesh weight. Might also add a mesh door on one side as well.
Hunt'nFish

worx53

WKR
I agree....I went back to a floor style and the Stratospire2 lets you configure ultralight floorless, or floor/interior tent clipped in. It also has more room.

muleman

WKR
I have owned a lot of shelters including a similar to the Stratospire 2, Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo. The big advantage to the the Mountain LT is the price. For instance the Stratospire 2 costs 4.5 times as much as the retail price I paid for the Mountain LT.

Mesh extensions and a mesh door sound like great additions. I would want the mesh to be removable for use in snow. I would also rather use a strip of tyvek for immediately under my pad than have a floor. I always felt like I had to baby the floors of the few tarp tent style shelters I've been in. Floorless is much more conducive to my style of use. As for weight, no see-um mesh weights about .9oz/sq yard

If minor modifications make the Mountain LT work for others, more power to them. I think that it's great that there is such a robust and economical option as the Mountain LT. Now if there was only an earth tone color option.